• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB Audio Switcher?

Asyrin

So I have three USB Audio sources and only one USB Audio port on my DAC.

Does there exist some sort of switch box that would allowe to switch between these three sources into the single DAC?

Thanks!

Dogen

Forum Donor
I see things like this out there. No experience with them, sorry.

OP
A

Asyrin

Welcome to ASR.

I think any USB switch would work fine; there's no need for some sort of "audiophile" version. For example:
It's more than you need, but you get the idea.
See, I came across a lot of things like that but if you look closely at what it's trying to do, it takes 4 USB peripherals and shares them between two computers.

Ergo the switch takes the four ports and points them to one port or the other.

That won't work for hooking three sources up to one DAC.

sailor2005

Welcome to ASR.

I think any USB switch would work fine; there's no need for some sort of "audiophile" version. For example:
It's more than you need, but you get the idea.
I don't think any USB switch would work, because if I'm not mistaken, a regular USB switch allows for only one host, and the DAC is not it. You can have one computer as host and several DACs connected to such switch. The one you suggest is a USB KVM switch and that WOULD work for 2 sources to one DAC. The OP would need a USB KVM with 3 PC sources for it to work as he needs.

Aldoszx

I am using an ATEN product and it is working well.

Dogen

Forum Donor
I don't think any USB switch would work, because if I'm not mistaken, a regular USB switch allows for only one host, and the DAC is not it. You can have one computer as host and several DACs connected to such switch. The one you suggest is a USB KVM switch and that WOULD work for 2 sources to one DAC. The OP would need a USB KVM with 3 PC sources for it to work as he needs.
Yes, and might a manual switch, like the one on Amazon I linked to above, be better than a hub-like solution? It’s just switching the physical connections.

sailor2005

Yes, and might a manual switch, like the one on Amazon I linked to above, be better than a hub-like solution? It’s just switching the physical connections.
If I needed that capability I would go with the manual switch.

Top Bottom