• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB audio interfaces interest

What USB audio interfaces do you want measurements made of?

• Swissonic UA-2x2

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Midiplus Studio M

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Presonus AudioBox iOne

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Votes: 150 51.0%
  • Audient iD4

Votes: 68 23.1%
  • Steinberg UR22 MK2

Votes: 70 23.8%
  • Roland Rubix22

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Presonus Studio 24

Votes: 32 10.9%
  • Mackie Onyx Artist 1.2

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Icon Cube 4nano

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Ground loop should not be the issue, speakers play absolutely fine unless some game is on. It only keeps buzzing when there is rendering going on. Eg. loading screen is quiet, same while browsing internet, playing youtube videos etc. I thought about ground loop issues too, but the ex owner of this apartment is a professional electrician, it is renovated so there should be no mess with electricity. I tried different power sockets too (not other rooms though). Issue is still the same. I suppose the USB-C port is just unshielded and GPU activity interferes with it. I could use optical output too though.
With PCs it's often more a case of changes in PC load modulating leakage currents in the PSU, and/or voltage drops along cables or pcb traces that are nominally ground but carrying high variable current. It might also be noisy 5V power on the USB socket - dongles don't have the space to do the same level of regulation as larger bus powered DACs. Interference from being unshielded is possible, but low on my list of expected causes.

railthe

With PCs it's often more a case of changes in PC load modulating leakage currents in the PSU, and/or voltage drops along cables or pcb traces that are nominally ground but carrying high variable current. It might also be noisy 5V power on the USB socket - dongles don't have the space to do the same level of regulation as larger bus powered DACs. Interference from being unshielded is possible, but low on my list of expected causes.

Yea I didnt want to get in details of it cause there is probably nothing I can do about it. PSU is far away (on bottom of case, USB-C is on top), so the PCB is more likely the case. The motherboard has VRMs close to the USB ports too, so it is possible that this affects the noise as well. Not sure if other ports are fine or not. The board and PSU are somewhat higher-end - its 650W Seasonic Focus gold and X570 Asus TUF. It has an optical output, so maybe I should use that one instead - I still need USB for its versatility though.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Presonus 68c is a much better audio interface compared to 24c and better also than 26c.in terms of specs.

That one should be tested.
Also very cheap.

Curios how it compares to MOTU M2/M4.
My vote for testing the Presonus Studio 24C stands, though. The 68C is good, but it is not bus-powered and therefore not as handy for field recording and for quick REW checks where it can run off a laptop battery.

I needed an interface with microphone inputs that provided sufficient gain for dynamic mics and also phantom power for condenser mikes. But recording is only one use case. The other use case relevant to a full audio interface is for testing, and that imposes different requirements.

The requirements related to field recording include gain and quality of microphone preamps, mixing strategy (for listing to backing tracks will laying fresh tracks), and for the headamp (mostly can it drive the usual suspects to enough volume to hear the backing track clearly). The ADC needs to be decent, but the noise floor and dynamic range of the microphones will already be a limiting factor.

The requirements for making REW room measurements are different--extremely flat response (though REW will correct for this), and a nicely clean ADC that provides imposes noise and distortion much lower than what the room and speakers under test impose. That's not too challenging for most of these.

A third use case is for using these for recording onto a computer from analog line sources.

Using these for instruments is the least relevant to me.

The reviews on the Russian site that were linked early in this thread focus on recording applications more than on room testing or needledrop-type applications. They tested the 26C--an older version--and the 1824, but not the 24C. The 24C might be the most suited in their line for doing needledrops and room measurements when considering price.

Rick "finding the headamp a little weak but otherwise very happy with it--but not based on measurements" Denney

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Yea I didnt want to get in details of it cause there is probably nothing I can do about it.
Using a USB audio interface or DAC with balanced outputs to the Kalis should take care of either cause - sufficient regulation that noise on a 5V line wouldn't matter, and immunity from ground related noise issues. It works for me anyway - Focusrite Forte to an amp with balanced inputs in my case.

railthe

Using a USB audio interface or DAC with balanced outputs to the Kalis should take care of either cause - sufficient regulation that noise on a 5V line wouldn't matter, and immunity from ground related noise issues. It works for me anyway - Focusrite Forte to an amp with balanced inputs in my case.
I meant, nothing I can do about that USB-C dongle noise :)...hopefully, normal USB will work fine. I will definetly go for balanced output. Thanks for tips btw.

JeffGB

I bought an Audient iD14 Mkii yesterday. I don't have any test equipment but I do have a few comments on it. I should have checked first, but it only has balanced outputs. No RCA here. It is a USB C interface, with the lowest compatibility being a USB 3 port, but the manual says it has more headphone power if a USB C port is used. The supplied cable is USB C TO USB C and only 3 ft long. Connected to a USB 3 powered hub, it worked for a while then 1 channel wouldn't work. I plugged it straight into the USB 3 port on my PC and it worked fine again. The manual does warn against using a hub. I also had to use a little USB C to USB A adapter as well, so that might be part of the problem. I will get a 6ft USB C to USB A cable today and test again.

Construction seems pretty good. The multi-function volume control feels a bit wobbly but the knobs themselves are metal. I did take the bottom off the device to have a look. I was unable to determine the DAC choice as there are 3 boards stacked with multi-pin connectors and I didn't feel confident in taking the boards all apart. I did notice one bit of solder that should have been cleaned up, but it wasn't a problem.

The headphone jacks are not great. The 1/4" was fine but the 3.5mm didn't connect with my headphones until I pulled it back a bit. I'll check with some deoxit later to see if it can be fixed or if it might just be that particular set of headphones.

There is no power switch, but with USB power I'm not fussed about it. If I cared about that I could turn my PC off at night.

I haven't tried a microphone with it yet. It will mainly be used as a DAC driving a Crown XLS and Kef LS50's. Subjectively it sounds detailed with as good or better soundstage than my MOTU M4. It is very quiet.

I have no idea if it will perform well on bench tests but it is very flexible, even having an optical input for ADAT channels to be added.

Windows 10 drivers: it worked right away after installing the drivers, however, the mixer app with the settings would not launch. I rebooted and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers to no avail. Clicking on the app in the Windows start menu would not work. Fortunately, I noticed that the link for the app in the system tray DID work. Ok. I just picked up a 6ft USB C to USB A cable and it works fine.

That's it for now. I will probably steel myself and take it apart to see what components are in it at some point :).

Last edited:

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought an Audient iD14 Mkii yesterday...
Hi, will wait for your feedback with the other cable and see if works well. If you can test it, I'm interested by the quality of the mic preamp which is usually good on Audient interfaces.

In case you are able to do that (just need two TRS cables), it would be good if you can do the Gearspace test as the the iD14 MkII has not be tested yet. It's more about transparency of the D/A-A/D loopback than finding which one is sounding the best, but for people using external hardware processing, it can be useful (to only add as much as much possible the change of the external processing and the less possible change from the double conversion).
The main problem would be to know if you can bypass the preamp on mic input as, if I'm not wrong, the Audient doesn't have separate Line inputs.
I submitted some files yesterday, it's here : https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=15330702&postcount=2251
If you don't have or want to create an account, I can submit the file for you.

JeffGB

Hi, will wait for your feedback with the other cable and see if works well. If you can test it, I'm interested by the quality of the mic preamp which is usually good on Audient interfaces.

In case you are able to do that (just need two TRS cables), it would be good if you can do the Gearspace test as the the iD14 MkII has not be tested yet. It's more about transparency of the D/A-A/D loopback than finding which one is sounding the best, but for people using external hardware processing, it can be useful (to only add as much as much possible the change of the external processing and the less possible change from the double conversion).
The main problem would be to know if you can bypass the preamp on mic input as, if I'm not wrong, the Audient doesn't have separate Line inputs.
I submitted some files yesterday, it's here : https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=15330702&postcount=2251
If you don't have or want to create an account, I can submit the file for you.

Hi, I found the new 6ft USB C to USB A cable connected directly to a USB 3 port on my PC worked fine. I would have liked a bit thicker wire, but, I have no idea of the actual gauge of the wires and it works well, so it's all good for me.

I downloaded the file for the test but I haven't gotten a clear picture of what I do to make it work. The Audient iD14 mkii has a system for routing the output for a loopback without using any cables but I didn't get it to work in my quick test. I can certainly connect the output for my monitors to the input for the microphones and record it, but at what level? I'm not normally a headphone user, but I can connect a set if needed. I haven't used the Audient for recording yet, so I have no idea :). I downloaded Audacity for a DAW but haven't used it yet.

I downloaded the file for the test but I haven't gotten a clear picture of what I do to make it work. The Audient iD14 mkii has a system for routing the output for a loopback without using any cables but I didn't get it to work in my quick test. I can certainly connect the output for my monitors to the input for the microphones and record it, but at what level?
in general minimum volume for mic inputs is line level. Impedance might be different than a standard line input however.

Grooved

Hi, I found the new 6ft USB C to USB A cable connected directly to a USB 3 port on my PC worked fine. I would have liked a bit thicker wire, but, I have no idea of the actual gauge of the wires and it works well, so it's all good for me.

I downloaded the file for the test but I haven't gotten a clear picture of what I do to make it work. The Audient iD14 mkii has a system for routing the output for a loopback without using any cables but I didn't get it to work in my quick test. I can certainly connect the output for my monitors to the input for the microphones and record it, but at what level? I'm not normally a headphone user, but I can connect a set if needed. I haven't used the Audient for recording yet, so I have no idea :). I downloaded Audacity for a DAW but haven't used it yet.

Hi, good to know that the USB C to USB A cable works on USB 3 port.

in general minimum volume for mic inputs is line level. Impedance might be different than a standard line input however.

Right, and some manufacturer/product will use different paths behind the connector, while other will have both TRS and XLR parallel linked.
In case they have different paths, the impedance may have been adjusted to match line signal on TRS, so better use a TRS than XLR.

Jeff, you can't use its loopback feature, it's certainly the new added feature on several interfaces to get other softwares sound recorded. You need to use cables for a D/A+A/D loop.
The problem with Audacity is that it doesn't use ASIO, and not using it could lead to be limited to 16bit (even if you set 24 in Audacity.
You can register your product and get free Cubase LE (and other softwares) from this Audient page : https://audient.com/arc/
Or you can create a Presonus account and download Studio One Prime 5 for free.
Both will let you use ASIO Input and Output (other free softwares I tested only allow it on output but not input) but they're not the easiest to configure.
You have to set your project @44.1 and 24bit (like the file), with two stereo tracks, one with the audio file, a blank one for recording (with no output assigned, simple way to avoid its audio going anywhere else in the software).
Be sure there's no additional processing before the outputs. Check that your output is set @0dB (you can use Monitor pair 1/2 or the other 3/4). Turn fully down both input gains on the iD14.

Last edited:

elvisizer

no apogee on the list, am sad.
I'd love to see tests of the symphony desktop interface
and if we're not restricted to USB, then the element interface line as well.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

phoenixsong

Motu M2, Native Instruments Komplete Audio 1 or 2, Focusrite Scarlett Solo gen 3 and Roland Ai-1
After a few more months of meddling, I think the following are worth adding
Budget: M-Audio M-Track vs Behringer shootout
Mid Range: Audient iD4 and 14 MKii, Tascam US-2x2HR
Higher End: Focusrite Clarett (don't see pros using it but seems popular in the mainstream), Motu Ultralite Mk5, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apollo, Universal Audio Interfaces
Gaming: Schiit Hel 1 & 2, Mayflower Arc Mk2

Jim T

The Steinberg because my UR242 is so hilariously horrible.
I have an old UR-22 that is only use for mic in on my Win 10. I also have a 2nd Gen Scarlett that is on an old win 7 for listening to very old files. Playback wise I am using a Project Audio S2 DAC, I have two of them, and one is to make an old disc spinner up to date. It is Class A Stereophile rated. I like all the Filter choices. I bought My son a Scarlett 3rd Gen for Christmas last year for his Win 10 computer as he make money on Twitch. I think the 3rd gen as more mic pre gain. I think the ones to own from Focusrite are in the Clarett series.

phoenixsong

I just received my NT1 & AI-1 kit today! The quality of the headphone out of the AI-1 cannot compete with that of the Motu M2. Firstly, it has perpetual hiss on it, even with all knobs set to minimum with phantom power and monitoring functions off. Music is still audible through it at this minimum setting on the knob. Also, it gets loud way too quickly to use any IEMs on it without channel imbalance, even with my hard to drive (for an IEM) Fidelio S2. The sound quality out is clearly not as good as from the Motu but doesn't seem too bad (note it's hard to judge fairly because of the hiss and loudness).

The mic in quality seems quite good on spoken word through my Neat Worker Bee. It seems to have less perceived bass than the Motu M2 input. Without using music instruments it is not possible to comment on performance across the audible frequency spectrum though

It has a really solid build and small footprint; about the size of an Objective O2 amp but slightly taller

*For those who are interested I did email Rode to ask about the output impedance of the headphone out on the AI-1, but the representative seemed clueless about it, instead telling me about how it has no problem driving high impedance headphones and that he'll be closing the support ticket

Last edited:

Julian Krause

Reviewer
Firstly, it has perpetual hiss on it, even with all knobs set to minimum with phantom power and monitoring functions off.

My device is the same, with IEMs you will most likely hear some noise.

*For those who are interested I did email Rode to ask about the output impedance of the headphone out on the AI-1, but the representative seemed clueless about it

The unit I measured had a headphone output impedance of about 4 Ohm.

phoenixsong

After a few more months of meddling, I think the following are worth adding
Budget: M-Audio M-Track vs Behringer shootout
Mid Range: Audient iD4 and 14 MKii, Tascam US-2x2HR
Higher End: Focusrite Clarett (don't see pros using it but seems popular in the mainstream), Motu Ultralite Mk5, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apollo, Universal Audio Interfaces
Gaming: Schiit Hel 1 & 2, Mayflower Arc Mk2
@Julian Krause just posted his review on the Motu Ultralite Mk5; seems like a winner for a compact interface MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Audio Interface - REVIEW (audio performance tested) - YouTube

L5730

@Julian Krause just posted his review on the Motu Ultralite Mk5; seems like a winner for a compact interface MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Audio Interface - REVIEW (audio performance tested) - YouTube
This looks rather impressive at it's price point. I'm sure a great many (Windows) users will have no problems at all, but at the end of the day people end up with an RME for stable Windows drivers and a focus on making the thing work on Windows PC systems.
Time and funds permitting, I'd happily buy a few MOTU units and give them a good in use testing. After all, people complained about the PCI (legacy) M-Audio card sitting in an unused system beside me, and I had zero issues with that card from XP to Win7.
With a Babyface Pro FS (for a great price, I should add) sitting on my desktop, I've no reason for anything else right now, as my needs are served. This MOTU unit has a good array of I/O count, so there definitely is a target audience for sure.

Top Bottom