• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB audio interfaces interest

What USB audio interfaces do you want measurements made of?

• Swissonic UA-2x2

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Midiplus Studio M

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Presonus AudioBox iOne

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Votes: 150 51.0%
  • Audient iD4

Votes: 68 23.1%
  • Steinberg UR22 MK2

Votes: 70 23.8%
  • Roland Rubix22

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Presonus Studio 24

Votes: 32 10.9%
  • Mackie Onyx Artist 1.2

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Icon Cube 4nano

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

TonioRoffo

I'd like to add the ESI U24 XL USB audio device - because it also has optical input.

Fishie

Wanted to know how well the ADC part of the RME ADI-2 Pro works as well!

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd like to add the ESI U24 XL USB audio device - because it also has optical input.

There are some good detailed reports available now here:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/esi-u24xl.php#gsc.tab=0
https://www.virtins.com/doc/D1010/ESI-U24XL-Test-Report.pdf

I use it for it's inputs taking a chromecast optical and analog turntable pre, and outputting into a PC USB port. This lets the chromecast and turntable take advantage of the PC's room equalization through EAPO.

Its analog loopback Sinad is low, and its headphone out is poor (high impedance), but in my application, its good.

forart.it

Well, dunno if already suggested, measurements of "new" Behringer U-Phoria series would be very interesting...

AllanDavidson

iamkimosabi

Apogee Symphony Desktop would be fantastic! They just released it, and it would be nice to see how it stacks up!

L5730

I saw a video on youtube, forgot to bookmark it, they compared 50-500 re-recordings through the interface. This was an SSL 2 vs. Audient ID14(?).
SSL after DAC/ADC loops sounded closer to original.

Oh, here it is:

The main problem with all audio interfaces, which isn't so much of a problem with USB DACs, is OS compatibility. Windows 10 keeps moving the goal posts (but may not so much from now on), and Mac new versions might break the device drivers.
I suppose there is always the option to run a particular version of OS in a VM and do USB pass-through, but that may or may not add additional problems. I've had success with a scanner with USB pass through, but that's hardly real time audio!

yvrmike

Presonus, given they have a big investment in their Studio One software package, means their gear should be a reasonable safe bet for at least Mac and Windows. For simple DAC use you should be good to go. I picked up a Studio 68C recently; Windows check; on Debian Linux all seems well too but haven't done much with it there yet.

I bought the 68C over the less expensive Studio 24C partly because it had the same mic preamps as their higher end products; it also has 2 virtual loopback channels which can be useful.

After only a little kludgy A/B listening comparing the DAC output with my Topping E30, I can't come to any conclusions so it's probably good enough for my needs. Had I bought the 68C first I might not have got the E30. On the plus side I can build another streamer for somewhere else in my place.

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
There are some good detailed reports available now here:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/esi-u24xl.php#gsc.tab=0
https://www.virtins.com/doc/D1010/ESI-U24XL-Test-Report.pdf

I use it for it's inputs taking a chromecast optical and analog turntable pre, and outputting into a PC USB port. This lets the chromecast and turntable take advantage of the PC's room equalization through EAPO.

Its analog loopback Sinad is low, and its headphone out is poor (high impedance), but in my application, its good.
Hi, saw this and noticed the tests didn't have any info on latency on Mac/Win. In your use case (Win10x64 I suppose? ASIO?), have you measured it or noticed any delay?

DDF

Hi, saw this and noticed the tests didn't have any info on latency on Mac/Win. In your use case (Win10x64 I suppose? ASIO?), have you measured it or noticed any delay?

I don't use it with video, so don't know its delay, sorry. It was designed for sound recording and live sound support on the go, so I suspect its OK, but can't guarantee

AllanDavidson

Looks like there is a "new" kid in Interface/ADC town, IK Multimedia's Axe I/O.

There are two versions, the standard Axe I/O for $350 and the smaller Axe I/O Solo for $250

The Torrent

I'm considering getting a Motu M2 because it has 60db gain i need.
Anything cheaper with 60db xlr mic gain?

AllanDavidson

I'm considering getting a Motu M2 because it has 60db gain i need.
Anything cheaper with 60db xlr mic gain?

I may be wrong, but unlikely. The M2 cost $169, just $10 more than the already cheap Focusrite 2i2 Gen3.

Maybe, you may find a Behringer Mic Pre-amp with USB built in that happens to be cheaper, but it will be an older product with lower quality eletronics

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I may be wrong, but unlikely. The M2 cost $169, just $10 more than the already cheap Focusrite 2i2 Gen3.

Maybe, you may find a Behringer Mic Pre-amp with USB built in that happens to be cheaper, but it will be an older product with lower quality eletronics
The gen 3 doesn't have 60 db of gain.

The Evo 4 comes close at 58 db of gain. $129.
https://evo.audio/products/evo-4/overview/

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EVO4--audient-evo-4-usb-audio-interface

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The number of good Mic Pre/interfaces under Motu's $169 is so low, I didn't even looked into dB gains.

Amir did a review in one of those Evos, right? Or it was Audient?
Amir reviewed the Audient ID4 which more or less met the claimed specs. Claimed specs for the EVo are slightly better.

Top Bottom