• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB audio interfaces interest

What USB audio interfaces do you want measurements made of?

• Swissonic UA-2x2

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Midiplus Studio M

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Presonus AudioBox iOne

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Votes: 150 51.0%
  • Audient iD4

Votes: 68 23.1%
  • Steinberg UR22 MK2

Votes: 70 23.8%
  • Roland Rubix22

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Presonus Studio 24

Votes: 32 10.9%
  • Mackie Onyx Artist 1.2

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • Icon Cube 4nano

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Yviena

@amirm just wondering but have you ever measured if there actually is a measurable difference between using for example a high-powered pc with actual load on CPU/GPU compared to a streamer like allo usbridge?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@amirm just wondering but have you ever measured if there actually is a measurable difference between using for example a high-powered pc with actual load on CPU/GPU compared to a streamer like allo usbridge?
Short answer no. But when gpu is running there may be ground loop issue. Cutting the ground loop will resulting no difference whatsoever.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Just noticed that Motu introduced the M2 at 199€ on Thomann.
https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/specs/: 24 bits/192 kHz DAC, dynamic range (A-weighted): 120 dB, THD+N (unweighted): -110 dB
Does MIDI, balanced and unbalanced, has an on/off button (quite rare) and has a nice color screen for the levels. Too bad the controls aren't on top (as usual for these devices) and it uses the fragile USB-C connector.

Kane1972

Be great if Amir could get one of these to measure. I’d love to be able to find an interface with great ADC at this price that also has a DAC section equivalent to the best of the £200 DAC’s tested con this site.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bought a Steinberg UR22C so I'll be voting for myself I guess.

Also, is that... Girls und Panzer?

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I bought a Steinberg UR22C so I'll be voting for myself I guess.
Do they still provide no meaningful measurements? Its web page is absolutely void of anything about output performances.

Also, is that... Girls und Panzer?
Yep, I used a modern (best) girl for this avatar instead of a classic Lina Inverse or Ryoko.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Do they still provide no meaningful measurements?
You have to dig a bit. Their online user manual (no print copy included in the box) states:
1576171644960.png

Lina Inverse
Ah, someone who watched Slayers! Goodness that show was hilarious.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Doesn't look too bad. But it's still 37€ more than an iD4 for no visible reason.
Interesting, the Audient iD4 retails for $270 here while the Steinberg UR22C retails for $210. So the iD4 is the more expensive one in my market...

L5730

I'm pretty sure that the Motu M2 and M4 will measure acceptably well. Other forums online indicate the headphone output has quite a bit of power too.
What I would be mostly concerned about is the thing being stable on Windows. All too often interfaces are just pants on the Windows OS. Some get away with it with occasional reboots of their PC or device (not practical). Some just complain about difficult to use control panels (RME TotalMix), I personally don't have problems with control panel and can get to grips with complicated backward-ass non-intuitive control panels relatively quickly.

L5730

The main source of the issues may be because Windows audio stack is tough to make work reliably.
But when a manufacturer clearly states that Windows is supported, they make a Windows driver and the device is just unreliable, then that is the fault of the manufacturer to not put more effort into making their device work properly. RME seems to work flawlessly under Windows. My old PCI card worked fine on 98se through 7.

Top Bottom