• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB Audio Interface

Wayne

Forum Donor
I am confused (nothing new) as to what this device is used for (brand name is irrelevant): L.K.S Audio USB-100 USB Audio Interface. Is it only used for recording to a computer via USB or can it be used for taking music from a computer to an amplifier? Thanks

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha :) I believe it takes audio via USB from a computer and outputs it via SPDIF or I2S to a DAC. Same idea as the Schiit Etir or Audiophilleo.

EDIT: only potentially useful if your DAC lacks a decent USB interface.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am confused (nothing new) as to what this device is used for (brand name is irrelevant): L.K.S Audio USB-100 USB Audio Interface. Is it only used for recording to a computer via USB or can it be used for taking music from a computer to an amplifier? Thanks

It’s a digital to digital converter (DDC). Takes USB input from a computer and converts it to other digital audio formats for feeding into a DAC. The output is digital so can only be fed into devices that understand digital format.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So not exactly the same, but rather similar to the Mutec 3+ USB. Only cheaper, and maybe fewer ways to connect via different connections and formats.

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

Similar in concept, but there are differences, and not all in favor of Mutec. I2S output and support for native DSD up to DSD512 is something Mutec unit can’t claim, although it has some other interesting features.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In theory the I2S connections are lower jitter, all else equal. But differences are likely to be negligible, and also dependent on the DAC the signal is fed to. Basically, with any good DAC there shouldn't be any significant difference.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The L.K.S Audio USB-100 USB Audio Interface ( https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/l-k-s-audio-usb-100-usb-audio-interface-pcm384-dsd512.html ) appears to have one input (USB) and three outputs coax, I2S-e (ethernet??) and I2S-h (HDMI??). Does it make any realistic difference which format is used to feed the signal to a DAC? (assuming the DAC accepts the format)

The main reason I considered USB-100 was because I wanted to experiment with DSD512 which my DAC accepted only on the I2S/HDMI connection. Other than that, probably not much different. Support for external 5v supply was also a plus, as I didn't want to power my DDC from a USB provided 5v.

Top Bottom