• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB audio interface primer - is there one?

NormB

specifically, connecting one for ripping vinyl.

I'll admit my google-fu isn't up to par.

I want to rip audio from vinyl onto my iMac.

I believe I will need an ADC to take the line signal off my preamp (tape out) to the converter (focusrite scarlett 2i2), using each of two mic inputs in front with an rca male to a 1/4" TRS jack, then connect the USB to my iMac and run a DAW (Reaper or Audacity).

Am I missing something here? Is it simpler or more complicated than it sounds?

Yes, I've dug around the web already, I'm not seeing this addressed directly, more like "connect your xyz to your turntable, then your computer to the xyz, after selecting device as input."

It was SO much easier when it was reel-to-reel then cassette tape...

Thanks in advance.

Norm

OP
NormB

NormB

Yes. Nice pictures, nuts and bolts.

Details of the device, like using 1/4" TRS to RCA jack adapters should be in the unit's instructions, right? Right.

But that was great, thank you.

I tell people I'm young enough I still appreciate technology, but old enough I really resent it, too.

Born the year Joe Morello's drum solo on "Take Five" was all over the airwaves.

NB

sailor2005

specifically, connecting one for ripping vinyl.

I'll admit my google-fu isn't up to par.

I want to rip audio from vinyl onto my iMac.

I believe I will need an ADC to take the line signal off my preamp (tape out) to the converter (focusrite scarlett 2i2), using each of two mic inputs in front with an rca male to a 1/4" TRS jack, then connect the USB to my iMac and run a DAW (Reaper or Audacity).

Am I missing something here? Is it simpler or more complicated than it sounds?

Yes, I've dug around the web already, I'm not seeing this addressed directly, more like "connect your xyz to your turntable, then your computer to the xyz, after selecting device as input."

It was SO much easier when it was reel-to-reel then cassette tape...

Thanks in advance.

Norm
You DO NOT need an ADC, it is built in the Focusrite. It is one of its functions. Just connect the tape out to the inputs in the Focusrite, those have to be configured as LINE inputs and not MIC. From there, just connect the interface to the Mac and then do what people who use Macs do (I'm a proud Windows person).

Top Bottom