• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB audio and HDCP issues - possible solutions?

mvnchies

Hi everyone. Not sure this is the right part of the forums for this but...
my USB DAC on my TV seems to trigger some copyright protection and disables playback with Netflix and other services.
my solution has so far been to use Bluetooth on a Loxjie A30, but it just doesn't sound as good as when I used USB.

I'm wondering if there's any other solution, or if I'll need a new DAC.

HDMI DAC are so expensive and seem subpar, and I don't need surround sound or anything.
I can't figure out what Bluetooth codecs I can use for my TV either - but it's a Samsung QN90A TV with "Bluetooth 4.2", as that is all I can find about it.

to be honest, I would love to have an all-in-one unit with DAC and amplifier (2.0 stereo) like the Loxjie A30 I have, but that I can also use with the TV...

Latency over bluetooth is a little bit annoying when gaming, but it seems like the TV adjusts for it with video - at least on Netflix... no issues with music playback obviously.
but if there's a good codec that my TV could support, that would be a decent option.

my speakers are Arendal 1961 towers, they don't need a lot of power for the volume I'm playing them at - so if I do find a combination unit... I guess the amp doesn't need a lot of watts.
but I would love to have class D or similar that doesn't run too hot or use a lot of power.

looked at HDMI extractors but I can't find any "measurements" or anything.

so to summarize:
USB audio no go...
some solutions I've thought of:
new DAC+amp with better Bluetooth than Loxjie A30?
one of those HDMI extractors? for some reason the optical doesn't work at all with my Loxjie A30 from TV - and the coax connection (from my PC) basically drowns everything in a harsh loud noise. don't know why but it really sucks. maybe try to find something that actually works with optical? I wonder if it'll sound as good as the USB does?
... HDMI DAC? I can't find anything affordable though. HDMI receivers basically... they seem to cost at least 1000 euro here, with really poor performance. HDMI licensing seems so expensive...

I've also tried looking for some kind of "HDCP disabler" USB device but I don't think this exists. or bypass or whatever it would be called, that allows me to go HDMI -> USB -> USB DAC in.

sorry for the long-winded post, hope there's an easy solution for me somewhere! thank you! :)

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I can't figure out what Bluetooth codecs I can use for my TV either
but if there's a good codec that my TV could support, that would be a decent option.
Most likely your TV only supports basic SBC
and the coax connection basically drowns everything in a harsh loud noise.
As far as I can tell, the QN90A has neither RCA Line out nor S/PDIF out, so what Coax connector did you plug your A30 into?
71AgVtLBL3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
maybe try to find something that actually works with optical?
That's what I'd do.

OP
mvnchies

mvnchies

Most likely your TV only supports basic SBC

As far as I can tell, the QN90A has neither RCA Line out nor S/PDIF out, so what Coax connector did you plug your A30 into?
View attachment 222709

That's what I'd do.
oh, sorry, the coax was from my PC - I was thinking if using a HDMI audio extractor to coax would produce the same noise. bit messily written there. the coax input of the Loxjie A30 was noisy with my PC that is.

not sure why my TV isn't working with Optical to the Loxjie A30... it's not producing any sound at all. I tried it on my old TV, a Sony, and also nothing.
I'm wondering if something is wrong with my A30 or if it's a setting... have no other optical device to try with unfortunately.

do you think I'd be better off getting a new DAC and try with that, or HDMI audio extractor and hope the optical works on that?
if HDMI extractor - would anyone happen to know if there are noticeable quality differences? just trying to get the best that I can - hopefully it's better than Bluetooth regardless, though! :)

Thank you

staticV3

Master Contributor
not sure why my TV isn't working with Optical to the Loxjie A30... it's not producing any sound at all. I tried it on my old TV, a Sony, and also nothing.
I'm wondering if something is wrong with my A30 or if it's a setting
Usually you first have to set the TV to Toslink output and the DAC to Toslink input before you get any sound. Have you tried that?
Screenshot_20220806-115423.jpg
Also make sure the TV is set to output PCM only.

raif71

Major Contributor
Hi everyone. Not sure this is the right part of the forums for this but...
my USB DAC on my TV seems to trigger some copyright protection and disables playback with Netflix and other services.
my solution has so far been to use Bluetooth on a Loxjie A30, but it just doesn't sound as good as when I used USB.

I'm wondering if there's any other solution, or if I'll need a new DAC.

HDMI DAC are so expensive and seem subpar, and I don't need surround sound or anything.
I can't figure out what Bluetooth codecs I can use for my TV either - but it's a Samsung QN90A TV with "Bluetooth 4.2", as that is all I can find about it.

to be honest, I would love to have an all-in-one unit with DAC and amplifier (2.0 stereo) like the Loxjie A30 I have, but that I can also use with the TV...

Latency over bluetooth is a little bit annoying when gaming, but it seems like the TV adjusts for it with video - at least on Netflix... no issues with music playback obviously.

my speakers are Arendal 1961 towers, they don't need a lot of power for the volume I'm playing them at - so if I do find a combination unit... I guess the amp doesn't need a lot of watts.
but I would love to have class D or similar that doesn't run too hot or use a lot of power.

looked at HDMI extractors but I can't find any "measurements" or anything.

so to summarize:
USB audio no go...
some solutions I've thought of:
new DAC+amp with better Bluetooth than Loxjie A30?
one of those HDMI extractors? for some reason the optical doesn't work at all with my Loxjie A30 from TV - and the coax connection (from my PC) basically drowns everything in a harsh loud noise. don't know why but it really sucks. maybe try to find something that actually works with optical? I wonder if it'll sound as good as the USB does?
... HDMI DAC? I can't find anything affordable though. HDMI receivers basically... they seem to cost at least 1000 euro here, with really poor performance. HDMI licensing seems so expensive...

I've also tried looking for some kind of "HDCP disabler" USB device but I don't think this exists. or bypass or whatever it would be called, that allows me to go HDMI -> USB -> USB DAC in.

sorry for the long-winded post, hope there's an easy solution for me somewhere! thank you! :)
I've only seen HDMI->IIS->IIS DAC converter. I bought one and connected my Sony player using hdmi to the converter i2s then to Gustard X16 DAC i2s input. The post and thread here

OP
mvnchies

mvnchies

Usually you first have to set the TV to Toslink output and the DAC to Toslink input before you get any sound. Have you tried that?
View attachment 222713
Also make sure the TV is set to output PCM only.
I will have to try this again thoroughly if I can find the optical cable... but I believe it was set up like that last time. I wonder if the cable is faulty...

how nice it would be to just be able to use the USB, everything is so much simpler with it o_O

OP
mvnchies

mvnchies

I managed to get optical working with a new cable... thread more or less "closed" :D

thank you everyone

Top Bottom