• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB Add-On Devices Measurements, including Regen

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Kilory has lost the plot. OP has post both measurements and subjective listening that he says are the result of those. As such criticism of both is part of the topic of that thread. Just let him know that his running interference without providing anything to the thread.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Kilory has lost the plot. OP has post both measurements and subjective listening that he says are the result of those. As such criticism of both is part of the topic of that thread. Just let him know that his running interference without providing anything to the thread.

That is what I alluded to earlier. Does sound quality track with his measurements? Objectively no. Subjectively no. So what are his measurements showing him? Actually nothing. The bottom line is he listens and has his opinion of the sound. Yet seems to believe the measurements of some sort have made it objective somehow. Which is voodoo use of measurements. He has three potential ways to evaluate the effectiveness of these devices. Is using two ways and results diverge in three directions. Sad, so sad.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We're clearly all wrong in how we approach things.

The real action is in buying random things, taking pictures, and giving your friends your listening impressions.

Ride the FOTM product hype, dump and sell it in time to ride the next wave.

The ultimate democratization of the "subjective reviewer" phenomenon.

View attachment 5258

I think you are onto something here at least for a fair number. It describes my activity for maybe a decade even though I should have known better.

A reviewer or three say tubes go better with ESL's even though they measure worse. I have ESL's look around and purchase second hand a tube model with a good rep. Heck it does sound different, and does sound better. I would have assumed the pro heard better than me or had experience of more than me. So now I can at least hear some of what he does because I have actually done so. Now I know why the sound was different and it is no mystery. Then not so much. So over time a handful more experiments (and not all worked out some left me scratching my head) I have more experience something like those guys. I hear even smaller and mostly real differences. I manage to hook up with local audiophiles. We are all trying different things, giving 'reviews' and getting broader experience.

I know among my circle of friends we freely loaned gear around excepting speakers (just because they were too big). So we might not feel like one of the pro's, the reviewers or the designers, but we felt part of a community with enough experience to converse and take part. Humans being humans we were ripe to be influenced and hear things that unlike earlier upgrades were maybe not so real. It was like becoming a more advanced member of some cult. Among the results were people eventually splitting off into their own particular areas. Tubes, then triodes, maybe even SETs. The SET was the holy grail for which people compromised nearly all the rest of the gear to make it work. You had only certain speakers that would run on a few watts. Best not to like heavy metal music. Others become acolytes opposing the demon crossover. So you need the one driver speaker. So one guy I know ends up with a one speaker, aluminum cone Jordon which is a small speaker with special needs not to sound bright and thin (which it actually was) so everything else is configured to keep it from being awful. So in time some of those guys go in so many incompatible directions our gear couldn't even be swapped around. Each person thought they had now highly tuned their system to a knife edge when in reality most of us had gone so fringe in some area everything except the one thing (whatever the one thing was) had been sacrificed to feed our ego of being so perceptive and special.

Even then, I'll be dam*ed if I could ever see the day connecting two ends of a USB cable could become an entire batty community of weirdness so disconnected from the signal coming out of the DAC (which is perfectly good with a sub $10 USB cable). Perhaps never before has such a simple, highly effective, nigh on perfect audio connection of practically no cost been perverted by such weirdness. It is fascinating in the extreme.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Even then, I'll be dam*ed if I could ever see the day connecting two ends of a USB cable could become an entire batty community of weirdness so disconnected from the signal coming out of the DAC (which is perfectly good with a sub $10 USB cable). Perhaps never before has such a simple, highly effective, nigh on perfect audio connection of practically no cost been perverted by such weirdness. It is fascinating in the extreme.

hehe LMAO :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I think you are onto something here at least for a fair number. It describes my activity for maybe a decade even though I should have known better.

A reviewer or three say tubes go better with ESL's even though they measure worse. I have ESL's look around and purchase second hand a tube model with a good rep. Heck it does sound different, and does sound better. I would have assumed the pro heard better than me or had experience of more than me. So now I can at least hear some of what he does because I have actually done so. Now I know why the sound was different and it is no mystery. Then not so much. So over time a handful more experiments (and not all worked out some left me scratching my head) I have more experience something like those guys. I hear even smaller and mostly real differences. I manage to hook up with local audiophiles. We are all trying different things, giving 'reviews' and getting broader experience.

I know among my circle of friends we freely loaned gear around excepting speakers (just because they were too big). So we might not feel like one of the pro's, the reviewers or the designers, but we felt part of a community with enough experience to converse and take part. Humans being humans we were ripe to be influenced and hear things that unlike earlier upgrades were maybe not so real. It was like becoming a more advanced member of some cult. Among the results were people eventually splitting off into their own particular areas. Tubes, then triodes, maybe even SETs. The SET was the holy grail for which people compromised nearly all the rest of the gear to make it work. You had only certain speakers that would run on a few watts. Best not to like heavy metal music. Others become acolytes opposing the demon crossover. So you need the one driver speaker. So one guy I know ends up with a one speaker, aluminum cone Jordon which is a small speaker with special needs not to sound bright and thin (which it actually was) so everything else is configured to keep it from being awful. So in time some of those guys go in so many incompatible directions our gear couldn't even be swapped around. Each person thought they had now highly tuned their system to a knife edge when in reality most of us had gone so fringe in some area everything except the one thing (whatever the one thing was) had been sacrificed to feed our ego of being so perceptive and special.

there is other things going on, mutual affirmation being one. These audiophile social exchanges and all that's built on the subjective listening impressions has its base in something holly other than sound quality ( in any real sense relating to actual critical change never mind improvement ) .

It's human nature though and although we might consider ourselves free of the audiophoolery, we are not free of the inherent human failings ( condition) that underpins these behaviours.

So we should be mindful not to turn up the smugonometer up to 11 :D

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
there is other things going on, mutual affirmation being one. These audiophile social exchanges and all that's build on the subjective listening impressions has its base in something holly other than sound quality ( in any real sense relating to actual critical change never mind improvement ) .

Clearly, then, they way to avoid the virus of socially transmitted audiophilia nervosa is to stop socializing.

Or at least to stop sharing subjective opinions on sound.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Perhaps never before has such a simple, highly effective, nigh on perfect audio connection of practically no cost been perverted by such weirdness. It is fascinating in the extreme.

Placebophiles abhor the steady-state, for it is the imagined change to the gear that gives them the joy; the placebo effect wears off over time, so a new stimulus must be sought.

Pretty much the same stimulus-seeking behavior as drug addicts or adrenaline junkies.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Placebophiles abhor the steady-state, for it is the imagined change to the gear that gives them the joy; the placebo effect wears off over time, so a new stimulus must be sought.

Pretty much the same stimulus-seeking behavior as drug addicts or adrenaline junkies.
Yes, iv seen this similarly too.. And I had a hifi dealer too :D

When you need a ' fix' all sense goes out the window.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, iv seen this similarly too.. And I had a hifi dealer too :D

When you need a ' fix' all sense goes out the window.

creepy-drug-dealer-offering-drugs-picture-id106480806

reprap

Hi I want to replace the usb cable between my Pi4 and Pontus 2 usb.
Is there a wifi or bluetooth dongle pair that can replace the cable?
I don't want to use the Pi internal wifi to reduce cpu load.
Any ideas?

Top Bottom