• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB 2.0 Type A to Type B 50' cable length from PC to DAC

ktm125

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I’ve wasted money on four or five extra long usb cables for long runs to some of my DACs. Some of them work, but are patchy. I would not trust such long USB cables unless you use some kind of extender — there’s an even more expensive optical solution for super long USB 3.0 runs.

Here’s what I use for very long runs:

USB 2.0 Extender (U2EX50)

“...extends high-speed USB devices over a single Cat5e cable, combines a USB extender and a USB hub to allow connecting as many as four USB 2.0 (Up to 480Mbps) devices up to 165 feet away from your computer.”

PC -> USB 3.0 switch -> USB 3.0 hub -> U2EX50 sender -> 50’ in wall cat5e cable -> wall outlet -> 10’ cat 6 cable -> U2EX50 receiver -> ODAC

Works perfectly fine... except for the occasional hitch where I have to switch power to my USB hub on&off via a smart plug using a simple phone app. No need to go to the basement for that anymore. The same extender allows me to control my PC down in the basement from up in the second floor.

*I also use a 75’ toslink cable to send audio from my basement HTPC to the living room.

**Another somewhat low-fi solution is a cat5e balun (MuxLab Stereo Hi-Fi 2-Pack RCA Balun Kit) which I use to extend a topping D10’s analog RCA outputs to my garage speakers. Works fine too...

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use one of these daily at 32 feet. Fine up to 192/24. USB 2.0 specs.
https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-F...ords=usb+cable+extender&qid=1568934993&sr=8-8

I've set a friend up with one of these at 25 meters or about 82 ft. Also fine to 192/24.
https://www.amazon.com/Your-Cable-S...rd_r=GZ5FVBAPQ37CVZ122360&qid=1568934993&th=1

Now if you are using it for USB powered items at the other end you will sometimes have difficulties. One solution is to put a USB hub at the far end which is powered from a wall wart. You'll get the data transfer just fine, and the powered hub will provide power for the device.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would use a balanced DAC near the PC and run long balanced interconnects. Alternatively, build a dedicated machine for music.

However, the extender recommended by @Blumlein 88 will likely work for you if it works for him. It's mostly about cost and convenience.

Zog

I recall seeing some Nordost information / propaganda (YouTube?) that their USB cables went way beyond the USB specification.

OP
K

ktm125

I recall seeing some Nordost information / propaganda (YouTube?) that their USB cables went way beyond the USB specification.

$500 for 3' of the Valhalla 2...

OP
K

ktm125

I've looked at the above recommended items on Amazon and it seems none are 100% reliable per reviews.

Last edited:

Zog

$500 for 3' of the Valhalla 2...
I should have been more specific. I think it was their "cheap" Blue Heaven range of USB cables, and the guy was saying that the signal was tested to over a very long length.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've looked at the above recommended items on Amazon and it seems none are 100% reliable per reviews.
Find me anything with a 100 plus reviews that is 100% on Amazon.

The first one, like the one I use is 4.4 of 5 with 573 ratings. A fair portion of the 1 star reviews are where people are connecting to something powered over USB. These extenders drop the voltage and limit the current. So not good for that. The others are mostly saying it quit working too soon. Not a good thing. Apparently not a problem with most of them.

I've used 4 for audio without a hitch, and another for a printer. Even the fiber optic version for more than $250 aren't 100 %.

You could do what Ron Texas suggested. Balanced XLR would easily work for 100 feet. You'd have two small cables instead of one. Even inexpensive XLR cables will work just fine and dandy.

Top Bottom