• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone LPS-1 Linear Power Supply Review and Measurements

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Completely agree with Thomas. Calling people idiots doesn't advance scientific understanding at all, probably to the contrary. After all, subjectivists are only displaying the very normal human tendency to stick to their beliefs and their group identities even in the face of discomfirming evidence. To a certain degree that is the case with us al, objectivist or not.

But facts CAN in fact change people's minds. But in order for that happen, these facts can't be presented as attacks on people's very identities.
WARNING advanced Scandinavian ( Norwegian) enlightenment approaching ... :D

Wombat

Master Contributor
Completely agree with Thomas. Calling people idiots doesn't advance scientific understanding at all, probably to the contrary. After all, subjectivists are only displaying the very normal human tendency to stick to their beliefs and their group identities even in the face of discomfirming evidence. To a certain degree that is the case with us al, objectivist or not.

But facts CAN in fact change people's minds. But in order for that happen, these facts can't be presented as attacks on people's very identities.

I agree. However there are 'gurus' that spread the nonsense that individuals innocently with align with. Their self-centric views should be strongly challenged.

"If you tell a lie often enough people will believe it"! We have seen, historically, the results of that saw.

Sometimes those 'identities' need to be put in context.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I agree. However there are 'gurus' that spread the nonsense that individuals innocently with align with. Their self-centric views should be strongly challenged.

"If you tell a lie often enough people will believe it"! We have seen, historically, the results of that saw.

Sometimes those 'identities' need to be put in context.
Definitely, we are here to do that.

And yes , if people hear something often enough it becomes dominant, a acceptable fact and we have a fight on our hands to change that. That’s way we have to be cunning in the way we go about it.

If being kind and generous irks you then just think of it as good old fashioned manipulation :D

Wombat

Master Contributor
Are we really responsible for our own feelings? We are influenced during our life by social conditioning, even deliberate indoctrination.
It takes some enlightenment and effort to be aware of these influences and question them, let alone move out of the 'box'. I doubt that this occurs up-front in the general population - possibly when entrenched views are hard to maintain in a more revisionist society(better or worse).

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Are we really responsible for our own feelings? We are influenced during our life by social conditioning, even deliberate indoctrination.
It takes some enlightenment and effort to be aware of these influences and question them, let alone move out of the 'box'. I doubt that this occurs up-front in the general population - possibly when entrenched views are hard to maintain in a more revisionist society(better or worse).
Yes we are, don’t conflate ‘fault ‘ or ‘ cause’ with taking personally responsibility.

That’s just the way I go about things though, each to their own. I chose to embrace the power I have through assuming personal responsibility regardless of fault, blame , external influences etc.

I see that as being part of adulthood tbh.

As for our forum, if we are to be effective we must be a part of the conversation.

I don’t see any good argument against that ambition.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Definitely, we are here to do that.

And yes , if people hear something often enough it becomes dominant, a acceptable fact and we have a fight on our hands to change that. That’s way we have to be cunning in the way we go about it.

If being kind and generous irks you then just think of it as good old fashioned manipulation :D

Kind and generous doesn't irk me. What irks me is having kindness, generosity, patience, helpfulness, etc. rudely rejected as an attack.

There is a member of this forum who regularly relates his personal audio perceptions in subjective terms. He is treated respectfully by forum members. So, where are we now?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Kind and generous doesn't irk me. What irks me is having kindness, generosity, patience, helpfulness, etc. rudely rejected as an attack.

There is a member of this forum who regularly relates his personal audio perceptions in subjective terms. He is treated respectfully by forum members. So, where are we now?
It was a joke!

Wombat

Master Contributor

Dammit. He's been banned.

Fas42 actually experimented, related his perceptions and took on responses without causing a fuss.

TS. I think you have just contradicted your own comments.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
"Let's move on please". Ughh!

That has to be one of the most patronising corporate, jingoistic, escapist, terms, EVER!

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Because I have 'insufficient privileges' to reply to the fas42 banning post I will say here that the notice is better than the unannounced disappearance of members from other forums.

This is not to say I can see why Fas42 'copped-it' whilst Analog Scott was favoured. I am not saying Analog Scott should be banned.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing is ever played directly off of disk. It's a misnomer.
That's not the point I was trying to make.

The DBT tool in foobar reads all the data for the 2 tracks being tested into ram at the start, and after that does not use the disk. When playing normally it fills up a buffer at the start, and then tops up the buffer from the disk as it plays, so the disk is being accessed frequently. The DBT will test that the same data is returned, but not other aspects of the system that are thought to impact audio performance. Oliver didn't say why he thought the sound was different, so a test to investigate must mirror what happens when he listens.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not the point I was trying to make.

The DBT tool in foobar reads all the data for the 2 tracks being tested into ram at the start, and after that does not use the disk. When playing normally it fills up a buffer at the start, and then tops up the buffer from the disk as it plays, so the disk is being accessed frequently. The DBT will test that the same data is returned, but not other aspects of the system that are thought to impact audio performance. Oliver didn't say why he thought the sound was different, so a test to investigate must mirror what happens when he listens.

That's not really accurate though:

JRiver can easily be set to play all tracks out of RAM. Tidal caches the entire track to RAM. Which brings me to my next point: Why wouldn't a serious, card carrying, audiophile not implement a playback system the caches the entire track to RAM since you agree that doing so obviates any disk subsystem?

It's not that your friend can or can't hear the difference, he just has a system that is clearly sub par.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The DBT tool in foobar reads all the data for the 2 tracks being tested into ram at the start, and after that does not use the disk.
I always wonder if it does this. I know if I tell it to apply DSP processing there is a delay while it does this but when just playing, I have searched and can't find anything that says that is how it works.

I should say that it makes sense for it to do this for glitch-free switching but I just have not seen it documented.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always wonder if it does this. I know if I tell it to apply DSP processing there is a delay while it does this but when just playing, I have searched and can't find anything that says that is how it works.

I should say that it makes sense for it to do this for glitch-free switching but I just have not seen it documented.
I don't know for 100% sure it does this, but when I started using it my PC was old and slow, and it was kind of obvious what it did before the test started. It's by far the easiest way to code it given that you can swap from track to track without jumping back to the start, and to work out what sample you are on in lossy files would be more bother than just inflating both to wav before you start, calculating on the fly would be more prone to a tell if one direction took more time.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not really accurate though:

JRiver can easily be set to play all tracks out of RAM. Tidal caches the entire track to RAM. Which brings me to my next point: Why wouldn't a serious, card carrying, audiophile not implement a playback system the caches the entire track to RAM since you agree that doing so obviates any disk subsystem?

It's not that your friend can or can't hear the difference, he just has a system that is clearly sub par.
My only interest in this was if the test was done it was meaningful, I have no real interest in the proposed problem until someone else shows it's audible, and even then I expect my system using ethernet would be immune.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know for 100% sure it does this, but when I started using it my PC was old and slow, and it was kind of obvious what it did before the test started. It's by far the easiest way to code it given that you can swap from track to track without jumping back to the start, and to work out what sample you are on in lossy files would be more bother than just inflating both to wav before you start, calculating on the fly would be more prone to a tell if one direction took more time.

It could just as easily play both tracks at the same time and use internal patch mixing to route. That's the way I would do it:

Load two tracks 100% into buffer, play back both concurrently, and simply route A or B to the sound stack.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My only interest in this was if the test was done it was meaningful, I have no real interest in the proposed problem until someone else shows it's audible, and even then I expect my system using ethernet would be immune.

It's meaningful in a way to expose a poorly implemented playback system.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My understanding is that Foobar ABX is specifically designed to minimise the chances for differences in the playback chain to affect the results. It tries to ensure that the only differences are those encoded in the actual files being compared.

Top Bottom