• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone LPS-1 Linear Power Supply Review and Measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Regarding my question, you had previously inputted into this thread so I thought that you might be able to clarify regarding my question.
He obviously feels that it does make a difference or he wouldn't be selling the product.
I'm not sure what you're saying with your wife beating analogy o_O
I didn't get that either. Maybe he is just against marriage. :D

Superdad

Audio Company
Thanks. That link seems to be a USA distributor also. I'll have a look around.

Both Arrow and Mouser have warehouses in the UK, but it is good be you can find another source. Or you can contact us directly and I can make some special arrangement for you.

Regarding my question, you had previously inputted into this thread so I thought that you might be able to clarify regarding my question. I'm not sure what you're saying with your wife beating analogy.

Sorry, it is just that products such as the microRendu (which, just to be clear are from Sonore and not UpTone--separate companies) have been derided here at ASR as doing nothing and offering no value versus direct from the computer. (Despite 1,000s of users who find otherwise.) As well, opinions regarding performance--unless backed up with measurements and double-blind tests--are not particularly welcomed on this forum, and any manufacturer offering such only invites scorn and ridicule.

I invite you to join the thoughtful, nuanced, and civilized crowd of people who are buying, listening to, and reporting on a great many products in the computer audio realm over at:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/
[Full disclosure: Both UpTone Audio and Sonore sponsor sub-forums there at CA.]

Superdad

Audio Company
He obviously feels that it does make a difference or he wouldn't be selling the product.

I didn't get that either. Maybe he is just against marriage. :D

Your new forum member asked about an "emerging consensus" (?) regarding the Sonore microRendu. As you know Amir, that is not my product and I don't sell it.

BTW, I have been married for 30 years (with 3 great kids), and the only time I beat my wife is when we play ping-pong. And she slaughters me at Scrabble...:rolleyes:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Your new forum member asked about an "emerging consensus" (?) regarding the Sonore microRendu. As you know Amir, that is not my product and I don't sell it.
He was asking despite the emerging consensus here, what opinion you hold: "While you are here, would you agree with the emerging consensus on this particular forum/thread that at best (with the LPS properly implemented) the Microrendu does not affect SQ when compared to direct connection of the DAC to the PC?"

And he is asking about LPS-1 and I thought John was involved somehow in the Microrendu USB end of things. No?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry, it is just that products such as the microRendu (which, just to be clear are from Sonore and not UpTone--separate companies) have been derided here at ASR as doing nothing and offering no value versus direct from the computer.
In this forum, we measure and back what we think is going on, with data. As the poster mentioned, he knows our position on that. He was asking if you have at all changed your opinion on where your product (LPS-1) combined with Sonore MicroRendu stands. If you don't want to give it, that's fine but don't blame it on us.

extracampine

Many thanks for the further input here. I am already a member at CA and have been for some years. I do appreciate the somewhat different angle on things that tends to be taken there (a generalisation I know). However I do feel that if a manufacturer offers any "scientific" claims to support their product, then these claims should be tested as much as possible. You just seemed like someone with a unique position amongst all this and so I was keen to hear your genuine thoughts. I recognise however that issues of conflict of interest may arise - but the very fact that you are here suggests that you are/were willing to join the debate, no?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Many thanks for the further input here. I am already a member at CA and have been for some years. I do appreciate the somewhat different angle on things that tends to be taken there (a generalisation I know). However I do feel that if a manufacturer offers any "scientific" claims to support their product, then these claims should be tested as much as possible. You just seemed like someone with a unique position amongst all this and so I was keen to hear your genuine thoughts. I recognise however that issues of conflict of interest may arise - but the very fact that you are here suggests that you are/were willing to join the debate, no?

..erm.....no....

He is on a damage limitation exercise for the Uptone products. God forbid someone shouts "Emperors new clothes". :)

All we have ever sought here is to demonstrate that this, and this genre of products in general (USB cleaners), actually do something beneficial. Thus far we have not been able to do so, and nor has Uptone.

extracampine

Well BE718, I suppose that is your interpretation. I'm keen for open discussion - hence my question.

A related question, which has been touched upon but perhaps not addressed specifically: although the Rendu products (+/- the LPS-1 or similar) have been shown here to (at best) have no discernible effect on SQ (at least according to the particular set of measurements made here), is it possible that the net effect of removing a "noisy" PC from the audio rack outweighs all this and hence the Rendu provides some benefit this way? Amir had used his laptop in the experiments and so I suspect the answer to my question here will be "no", just keen to have this confirmed.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
An ‘optical’ connection will completely remove any ‘noise’.
Keith

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well BE718, I suppose that is your interpretation. I'm keen for open discussion - hence my question.

A related question, which has been touched upon but perhaps not addressed specifically: although the Rendu products (+/- the LPS-1 or similar) have been shown here to (at best) have no discernible effect on SQ (at least according to the particular set of measurements made here), is it possible that the net effect of removing a "noisy" PC from the audio rack outweighs all this and hence the Rendu provides some benefit this way? Amir had used his laptop in the experiments and so I suspect the answer to my question here will be "no", just keen to have this confirmed.

Well the discussion you will get from Uptone will revolve around claims of efficacy with zero evidence to back it up, Go for it though

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is an example of a suitable SMPS that already internally shunts its zero-volt output ("ground") to its AC mains ground pin--eliminating all high-impedance leakage through the LPS-1 (the LPS-1 already blocks all the low-impedance leakage) and resulting in measures as clean as the last graph I posted a few posts up:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI/SDI30-12-UC-P5

So why not use a clean power supply and eschew the LPS-1.

You keep saying all these subjective evaluations are meritorious. I've read the same about Ethernet cabling but we both know that it's not possible.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
..erm.....no....

He is on a damage limitation exercise for the Uptone products. God forbid someone shouts "Emperors new clothes". :)

All we have ever sought here is to demonstrate that this, and this genre of products in general (USB cleaners), actually do something beneficial. Thus far we have not been able to do so, and nor has Uptone.

That's not true. As much as I loath the tweak category of this hobby Amir did show the ISOR improves the objective output of a piece of schiit DAC. What this simply tells me is that Schiit Audio doesn't know how to design a USB connection to save their lives.

Yes there is spin control in regards of the LPS-1 allowing the exact opposite to happen of what it's claimed to do.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It could but here's the thing: Find me a subjective audiophile that will permit their ears only assessment?

I just went out to Denver to a persons setup that thought they could hear the differences in Ethernet cabling. When their bias was controlled they did no better than 60% with a custom boutique cable vs a ~$12 cable that was 600% longer.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
It could but here's the thing: Find me a subjective audiophile that will permit their ears only assessment?

I just went out to Denver to a persons setup that thought they could hear the differences in Ethernet cabling. When their bias was controlled they did no better than 60% with a custom boutique cable vs a ~$12 cable that was 600% longer.

60/40?

That’s a stellar result if it was blind and all that.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I tried to flip a coin twice. Never got 60/40.

Well, you'd have to flip it more than twice...

And 60/40 should be a pretty common result for 5 flips.

3 heads 2 tails = 60/40

Top Bottom