• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone ISO Regen Review and Measurements

maul

I sold my Regen almost immediately a couple years ago, I was not happy with the difference in the sound, because there wasn't one. I kept reading all these people talk about "night and day" differences and it blowing them away, etc... whatever makes them feel better, I guess.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I sold my Regen almost immediately a couple years ago, I was not happy with the difference in the sound, because there wasn't one. I kept reading all these people talk about "night and day" differences and it blowing them away, etc... whatever makes them feel better, I guess.
Ah, a man who's not easily brainwashed by group delusional rants. I'm impressed, hard to do, specially after you've laid down your money.
Welcome to ASR BTW ;)

maul

Ah, a man who's not easily brainwashed by group delusional rants. I'm impressed, hard to do, specially after you've laid down your money.
Welcome to ASR BTW ;)

Thanks, and I should clarify that it wasn't exactly "immediately" that I sold it. I spent a few weeks switching back and forth obsessively with it off and on in all sorts of situations, couple hundred times at least. I've been a classical pianist for 25 years and like to think I have decent ears, so I really don't know what these people are hearing. I mean maybe 1-3% of the reviews I've seen are similar to mine, and some people are adding 2 or more of these things in their signal chain ffs.

I also did the same thing with the Schiit Wyrd, though I have to admit I actually did think I heard a very slight difference with it. Definitely wouldn't be able to tell with a blind test though, ended up selling it as well. Anyway...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks, and I should clarify that it wasn't exactly "immediately" that I sold it. I spent a few weeks switching back and forth obsessively with it off and on in all sorts of situations, couple hundred times at least. I've been a classical pianist for 25 years and like to think I have decent ears, so I really don't know what these people are hearing.
All the better, no one should summarily dismiss most anything without giving it first a very complete investigation. It is possible for things outside of box we're thinking in to have an effect we weren't expecting. But so much of the science of audio reproduction is now well know that those occuraces do tend to be rare in the extreme. The most likely in cases of audiophiles deeply involved in the Gospel of lamestream high end media is that they hear exactly what they expect to hear.

Dismayed

You can buy this placebo on Amazon, but only 'verified purchasers' are allowed to post reviews.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So there are at least 3 guys trying to offload their Regens in my tiny country's Craiglist equivalent, and all are listed after the truly glowing review in this thread.

Coincidence? I think not.;)

grigorianvlad

Hi. I just joined to ask a question in this specific thread.
What is the voltage and the size of Uptone ISO Regen?
Here is my situation. I have a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ being powered by an external ultra low noise linear power supply Keces P-8 .
IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

The Keces has two independent power zones, to power two devices (actually three if we count a 5v USB jack).
Zone 1: 12V, configurable by toggling a switch in the back to 15V
Zone 2: 15V, configurable by toggling a switch in the back to 12V

Obviously, the 12V zone is for the Mytek Brooklyn. Will I be able to power an Uptone ISO Regen with the 9v zone? Does it work on 9v?
The other question is what audiophile DC cable end does it accept? I mean the size? 5.5mm/2.1mm? 5.5mm/2.5mm?
I have two cables with Oyaida connectors sized 5.5mm/2.1mm.
20180610_133632.jpg

I think I saw some pictures of ISO Regen with similar cables (black 2.1mm end on the connectors, not red 2.5mm) connected to it.
Thank you for all your help.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Do you intend to use the regen with the Mytek?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well...

Nothing wrong, but probably nothing uselful will result.

Is there a problem you need to correct?

From the first post of this thread:

I plan to do more testing but thought I start by testing the ISO Regen using Mytek Brooklyn DAC...

(discussion of test deleted)

The following is the output of the Audio Precision with all the graphs on top of each other. As you see, there is absolutely no meaningful difference between any of these runs. Nothing is fixed. Nothing is broken. The ISO Regen in these measurements is the same as not having it there.

grigorianvlad

Well...

Nothing wrong, but probably nothing uselful will result.

Is there a problem you need to correct?

From the first post of this thread:

Boy, am I glad you replied before I hit "Buy" on the Uptone site , with an ISO Regen in my shopping cart.
So, what you are saying there is nothing to gain from an addition of an ISO Regen to the chain? And no, I am not trying to fix any particular problem with the Mytek. It is as solid as a DAC can be. I've had it for three months and I couldn't be happier.
But back to the ISO Regen. Can you post an exact link to the quote you posted above? Or at least what page in this thread you had read it on?
In all honesty, I wanted to buy an SoTM tx-USBultra which is apparently a very good addition to the Mytek. At least according to Hans:

But it is simply insane to pay $990 for the SoTM to condition the USB signal for a $2,200 Mytek. It is almost half the price of the DAC. Plus you have to add an additional USB cable, which is another $100 or so.

So, I settled on ISO Regen. But if there is nothing to gain I will simply will not buy it.
Is there?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So, what you are saying there is nothing to gain from an addition of an ISO Regen to the chain?

I have no experience with the device...

The test Amir performed showed that the Mytek is capable of taking care of itself without any assistance from the Uptone.

Can you post an exact link to the quote you posted above?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ptone-iso-regen-review-and-measurements.1829/

---

When folks post a quote here, the linkage to the quote post is included:

1529095094263.png

grigorianvlad

I have no experience with the device...

The test Amir performed showed that the Mytek is capable of taking care of itself without any assistance from the Uptone.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ptone-iso-regen-review-and-measurements.1829/

---

When folks post a quote here, the linkage to the quote post is included:

View attachment 13185
Outstanding, thank you. I am new here, still learning, sorry. Reading that post. And thank you very much for pointing that out, you saved me time and money. I could always return the ISO Regen, but would have lost around $20 on the shipment, not counting the time.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The addition of ISO Regen takes the Modi Schiit from pretty horrible performance (in this day and age) to very respectable!

The regen is not without its usefulness in other cases.

As with most things "it depends..."

grigorianvlad

Another thing is that Amirm tested with an older version of the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. Mine is a DAC+ - improved analog stage, newer chip, etc.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another thing is that Amirm tested with an older version of the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. Mine is a DAC+ - improved analog stage, newer chip, etc.
More the reason to not hang another box behind it :).

On Sotm, I measured the non-ultra before: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...d-review-of-sotm-sms-200-network-player.1846/

From fidelity point of view, there is no reason to use it. Only deploy it if you need networking functionality of it (i.e. putting the DAC away from the PC).

As to Hans, he is a great speaker and I love just listening to him. Alas, I don't trust or believe in 99% of what the says about fidelity of the products. He needs to actually turn on the audio precision that is always behind him and perform some objective measurements to confirm what he says subjectively. Using them for decoration makes no sense to me.

grigorianvlad

More the reason to not hang another box behind it :).

On Sotm, I measured the non-ultra before: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...d-review-of-sotm-sms-200-network-player.1846/

From fidelity point of view, there is no reason to use it. Only deploy it if you need networking functionality of it (i.e. putting the DAC away from the PC).

As to Hans, he is a great speaker and I love just listening to him. Alas, I don't trust or believe in 99% of what the says about fidelity of the products. He needs to actually turn on the audio precision that is always behind him and perform some objective measurements to confirm what he says subjectively. Using them for decoration makes no sense to me.

I agree, no reason.
Regarding the networking option. I have no use for it. The DAC is connected directly to the PC by a long USB cable run. I dont even use DLNA.
All hirez music, including 192khz 24bit or DSD files, are down converted by Jriver to 48Khz 32bit. That is intentional. Most people think I am insane for doing so because Jriver can upconvert even 41khz 16bit files to play in 4xDSD and the Mytek DAC is perfectly capable of playing DSD.

About Hans. I believe in bench testing equipment, but it hardly tells the full story. It is useful in comparing one quality or feature in a variety of products. You can conclude this product is excellent at something and that one sucks at it. That doesnt mean that it will SOUND worse or better. And that is what counts. You can measure things to justify why it would sound worse, but your ears are the best detection device. From that standpoint trying/hearing equipment by far beats measuring them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
From that standpoint trying/hearing equipment by far beats measuring them.
It is if that listening test is controlled. If it is ad-hoc, as he does, then the results are not reliable at all.

Top Bottom