• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone ISO Regen Review and Measurements

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
g r e a t i n v e s t i g a t i o n AMIR, and I really appreciate that you summarize and explain the graphs, it helps folks when someone says, like you do, this graph tells us that ...... and this is better (or worse) etc. Very thorough work. Warmest Regards

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Folks skeptical that it's possible to properly engineer a system? You'd have to be dumber than a sack of hammers to think what uptone does couldn't be implemented better and cheaper if built into the DAC.

You described about 75% of the user base there.

firedog

Would care to take a stab at a hypothesis for how that could be?
No, I have no idea. Just posted what a few individual users have reported - that they had playback/connection issues that disappeared when they cancelled the isolation.

firedog

Folks skeptical that it's possible to properly engineer a system? You'd have to be dumber than a sack of hammers to think what uptone does couldn't be implemented better and cheaper if built into the DAC.

Maybe so, but almost no one is doing it. Most DACs just use an off the shelf USB input with no attempt to isolate/lower noise.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe so, but almost no one is doing it. Most DACs just use an off the shelf USB input with no attempt to isolate/lower noise.

Can you say anything more categorically stupid than this? There's a $79 DAC here with better distortion profiles then three 'Audiophile' DAC's costing up to $2000 that shows no difference with a regeneration device in or out of chain.

firedog

Can you say anything more categorically stupid than this? There's a $79 DAC here with better distortion profiles then three 'Audiophile' DAC's costing up to $2000 that shows no difference with a regeneration device in or out of chain.

Unfortunately, this type of nasty and overly aggressive response is typical of the negative atmosphere here.
In addition, your response to my post has almost nothing to do with what I wrote.
I simply described the facts: so please list for me all the DACs that have galvanic isolation and specialized noise reduction built into their USB input, that is more serious than what comes standard on their USB input board.
If I'm wrong, you can easily name dozens or even hundreds of DACs with galvanic isolation, etc, on their USB inputs....

Prediction: instead of an actual answer, you'll engage in more ad hominem attacks and invective, b/c you don't have the answer and b/c I'm actually correct.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, this type of nasty and overly aggressive response is typical of the negative atmosphere here.
In addition, your response to my post has almost nothing to do with what I wrote.
I simply described the facts: so please list for me all the DACs that have galvanic isolation and specialized noise reduction built into their USB input, that is more serious than what comes standard on their USB input board.
If I'm wrong, you can easily name dozens or even hundreds of DACs with galvanic isolation, etc, on their USB inputs....

Prediction: instead of an actual answer, you'll engage in more ad hominem attacks and invective, b/c you don't have the answer and b/c I'm actually correct.
I'm not massively keen on it either , still many here are at saturation point in regard to the mountains of nonsense that seems to of over taken the industry.

They see ASR as a safe heaven and can get anti with what appears to them as yet more audiophile nonsense. Still I don't like the tone of @Jinjuku post addressing your comments and I don't like to see other forums slagged off in the way CA has been here either tbh.

I don't like it but I also understand on a certain level.

I have to say the burden of proof lays at your door though, turning it around and asking @Jinjuku for proof is not right. You made a statement, please if you take offence at its rebuttal counter that with proof/evidence .

Cheers

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Your ill thought out debate points are what are getting you into trouble:

1. Your straw man argument about galvanic isolation: It's evidently not needed on a competent DAC as Amir showed that the on/off switch doing nothing for properly designed DAC's
2. Behringer 204HD, Mytek Brooklyn, iFi. Emotiva says none of their DAC's need it. Chord says none of their DAC's. Benchmark says none of their DAC's So we are effectively into 'the dozens'

Why don't you mention all dozens or hundreds of DAC's that have their output improved by galvanic isolation?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not massively keen on it either , still many here are at saturation point in regard to the mountains of nonsense that seems to of over taken the industry.

They see ASR as a safe heaven and can get anti with what appears to them as yet more audiophile nonsense. Still I don't like the tone of @Jinjuku post addressing your comments

With all respect "Most DACs just use an off the shelf USB input with no attempt to isolate/lower noise." How can someone make such a obviously and patently, blanket statement and given even the results shown here of a handful of DAC's, including one that has a ton of noise corrected by a regen type device say such a thing? It boggles the mind.

Stupidity is ignorance willfully left uncorrected. I've seen zero from Fire Dog here and elsewhere that indicates he has the intellectual honesty that is REQUIRED to look at hard data, that challenges the audiophile, golden ears superiority complex, and have his dogma changed.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What is there to improve on this $79 DAC?, Where is the noise? Where is the data the supports an assertion that this DAC suffers from the lack of galvanic isolation?

Is a noise floor of around -137dB indicative of poor performance, poor power regulation, poor USB cable?

umc204HD-jtest.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
With all respect "Most DACs just use an off the shelf USB input with no attempt to isolate/lower noise." How can someone make such a obviously and patently, blanket statement and given even the results shown here of a handful of DAC's, including one that has a ton of noise corrected by a regen type device say such a thing? It boggles the mind.

Stupidity is ignorance willfully left uncorrected. I've seen zero from Fire Dog here and elsewhere that indicates he has the intellectual honesty that is REQUIRED to look at hard data, that challenges the audiophile, golden ears superiority complex, and have his dogma changed.
Regardless, the mission here is not to isolate ourselves and be branded as 'extremists ' as your type of rhetoric will invite . We are to be the best face of the objective , evidence based ( I'm staying away from the term scientific) approach.

I'd be grateful if you kept that in mind. ( I know it can be hard but...)

Cheers

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Regardless, the mission here is not to isolate ourselves and be branded as 'extremists ' as your type of rhetoric will invite . We are to be the best face of the objective , evidence based ( I'm staying away from the term scientific) approach.

I'd be grateful if you kept that in mind. ( I know it can be hard but...)

Cheers
Absolutely. The mission of ASR Forum is to discuss audio science *and* have fun. No one should post anything in anger. Let the evidence speak for itself. Nothing destroys the work I have done here more than turning it into battle of one camp vs the other.

My apologies to Firedog for the recent tone.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Absolutely. The mission of ASR Forum is to discuss audio science *and* have fun. No one should post anything in anger. Let the evidence speak for itself. Nothing destroys the work I have done here more than turning it into battle of one camp more than the other.

My apologies to Firedog for the recent tone.
@firedog just be warned, amir's idea of 'fun' is rewiring his camper van so.... :confused:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
We seem to be turning into an audiophile forum.
Member that have different viewpoints or write posts with errors are not stupid dumb or ignorant.

Can't we stick to just the information in the posts?

HedgeHog

... so please list for me all the DACs that have galvanic isolation and specialized noise reduction built into their USB input, that is more serious than what comes standard on their USB input board.

Chord Electronics states their 2Qute, Hugo TT, and DAVE DACs have galvanic isolated USB inputs. I'm sure there are others that may have this feature.

I'm curious to see if the ISO Regen makes any difference on DACs that already have this feature. I confess that I run the Hugo TT with the older Regen. Can't say it's better or worse but I think it did sounded a smidgen better than the Schiit Wyrd I had prior.

-H

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We seem to be turning into an audiophile forum.
Member that have different viewpoints or write posts with errors are not stupid dumb or ignorant.

Can't we stick to just the information in the posts?

I'm not deaf to what I said, or what you, Amir, Thomas are saying. Fire Dog isn't new to this and I think I can show a distinct pattern where what he's posted on forums is purposefully taking things out of context.

I understand why people do that and it's not a good reason. It's meant to protect ego where one has decided to entrench into a position that ultimately isn't defensible. It's a typical F.U.D tactic of someone that knows intrinsically that they aren't correct but is going to operate that way regardless.

Apologies to Fire Dog for the offense. I'll take time to simply make a response that speaks for itself.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a device that seems to do nothing ... 4 pages! Perhaps we need to discuss about how to make our system better. A primer on multiple subs or ...anything more constructive would be welcome.

Top Bottom