• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone ISO Regen Review and Measurements

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Has anyone conducted listening tests with the appropriate controls both in implementation of the test(s) and concerning the results of the tests in order for actual data to be harvested pertaining this device or devices like it?

I personally am past the idea of the analog outputs not showing a difference, that seems 'true' if the DAC is half decent..

I'm interested in what the listening tests ( if any) say .. otherwise we don't really have a chance at furthering the debate here do we?

I will allow some further fruitless back and forth but past that we are at that stage where new evidence is needed.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Has anyone conducted listening tests with the appropriate controls both in implementation of the test(s) and concerning the results of the tests in order for actual data to be harvested pertaining this device or devices like it?
I doubt that any real listening tests have been done. New age audiophiles are not interested in that sort of thing.
But then they have been trained by those with a vested interest (like magazines, golden ears, marketing department, reviewers and vendors) that tests and measurements are bad. That even simply listening to a product blind is bad. The new age audiophile has to know all the details before they can listen.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Mmerrill says this in another page of that thread: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...gain-looks-for-the-music-in-the-noise/?page=2

"Glitches occur due to the current draw changing when the DAC is going from handling all 0s to all 1s - the current draw suddenly jumps, causing noise to appear on the DAC's output."

Glitches? I am not aware of people complaining about glitches in high-performance or even cheap DACs.

Assuming what is meant is loss of performance, dealing with mixed-signal circuits is the #1 job of any DAC designer. That is what they get paid to do: to create sufficiently robust and isolated power supplies and digital circuits as to keep the sensitive DAC analog output from getting polluted.

My audio precision analyzer is one such device. It has a ton of digital circuits and sensitive analog. Yet it has no problem keeping those interactions apart.

Yes, you can be incompetent as I have shown with Schiit Modi 2 DAC (or careless). But when talking about high-performance DACs? No way.

And at any rate, those transition pulses easily show up in noise measurements. We are talking FFT analysis with noise floors of -130 dbFS! You breath the on the DAC and it will show up.

And here is the larger issue: all of these arguments are hypothesis. They can be proven with instrumentation. You can probe the DAC and show those "glitches." That is not done of course. It is easier to invent problems and then jump to solutions than trying to first verify one's knowledge and theories.

Mmerrill99, by the way, is none other than your old buddy JKenny. So, we know how sane and rational he is, or actually is not. We know from his arguments and lack of measurements what a competent DAC designer he must be, or unfortunately not. He has had to resort to an alias at computer audiophile because he had been expelled as JKenny.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Mmerrill99, by the way, is none other than your old buddy JKenny. So, we know how sane and rational he is, or actually is not. We know from his arguments and lack of measurements what a competent DAC designer he must be, or unfortunately not. He has had to resort to an alias at computer audiophile because he had been expelled as JKenny.
You must be kidding me! Really? No wonder he is so insulting. Thanks for telling me that. It puts things in context.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Christ , that's grounds for a intervention :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, let's see if we can skin this cat, i.e. "you can't measure this device with FFT" this way: by using UpTone's own statements of what it does. Here is a paragraph from their product page:

"While some DACs and converters do incorporate digital isolators for galvanic isolation—they are ALWAYS after the USB input PHY chip and processor system. And unfortunately, USB input noise of all sorts still makes it through to some extent and reaches the DAC master clock (Impacts on the DAC master clock are ultimately why ANY upstream variations—in computer, USB, cables, etc.—are heard at all. If you are interested, please see our easy to digest “white paper” on the subject.)"

So the impact is on master clock for the DAC. As I explained before, any modulation/changes on master clock of the DAC creates extra energy on either side of the DAC. And the test for this? J-test that we have been using! What this means is that we do NOT need anything more complex than a single tone. The tone will be modulated and in frequency domain we either get wider skirts around it due to random noise, or spikes showing correlated noise -- both of which you all have seen in my DAC measurements.

The white paper explains the same:

"PACKET NOISE: In a DAC the data packets coming in on the USB bus are not continuous—there is significant time in-between each packet. Thus the processing of these packets produces noise on the power supply and ground plane that come in bursts, and we refer to this as "packet noise". Since the rate of USB packets is 8KHz there are strong components of this noise in the audio band. This noise can cause jitter in clock oscillators, re-clocking flops, and DAC chips. It can also go directly into noise on the output of DAC chips."

Sadly there is no measurements to show any of these assumptions to be true. They could have opened a DAC and instrumented its clock, power, etc. to see if their assumptions are correct.

Well, I tested the original regen which as the same hub architecture as ISO Regen (and the above paper refers to that). Here was the outcome with and without ISO Regen (powered with a premium power supply):

Original Regen Nothing Versus BOTW.png

We see that there are indeed 8 Khz and its harmonic at 16 Khz distortion spikes. Problem is, the original UpTone Regen created them!!! They were not in the output of the Meridian Explorer DAC without it. This result was confirmed by two other people making their own measurements.

That embarrassing bit aside, this should make it amply clear that our instrumentation is superbly sensitive to finding the exactly the sort of problem they say exists and they try to fix it. Packet noise at 8 Khz intervals that impacts either the DAC clock, its reference voltage or power supply absolutely shows up in Jitter tests with J-test signal.

Why is our instrumentation so sensitive? Because we have picked a 12 Khz tone that is pretty high frequency and importantly, it is nearly zero db FS. The jitter components are proportional to levels of our test signal. By using such a strong, high frequency tone, we are able to amplify the jitter components and make them visible at such extreme low levels (-115 db or so).

Real music does not have such strong content at 12 Khz. Not anywhere close or you would run away from it :). So in this regard, our measurements are far harder on hardware than real music will ever be.

Worse yet, real music will have lots of components that will mask these distortions. Can you imagine the audibility of those 8 Khz distortion spikes in the midst of real music with content at 8 Khz that is orders of magnitude louder?

So no, real music is not your friend. That pre-echo I showed earlier with Castanet will become next to impossible if you throw some classical music at it instead. Even I can't always find it despite my training to spot and hear them.

People who insist on these things can't be measured argue with words. If they think such effects can't be measured, they should take a DAC, distort it electrically in these manners and show the output remaining the same.

Before any such gear is designed, engineers need to first instrument and find real problems and document them. And here, I am not talking about USB bus, but audio performance. Once there, they can then show before and after. Until then, it is really technical jargon thrown at consumers to make them believe there is a problem, and further believe that they have solved the problem where in reality the problem may not be there, and neither their solution per above measurement.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not confusing anything. I'm seeing a Schit Modi 2 have it's poor output improved with a regeneration device. I'm seeing a $79 Behringer do what the Modi 2 does after throwing another $325 at it.
Have you seen the AP analyzer results?
It proves there are DAC's at $79, ~$350, $2000 price points that keep the output free from what is going on in the computer.
Good. If they produce a DAC that needs an additional gadget to correct their engineering deficit I'll not recommend them either.

I have long viewed "bargain" audiophile-targeted DACs and amps with an enormous amount of skepticism, let alone the tweako products like USB power/signal cleaners or magic cables. After reading that $79 Behringer review, I think it's safe all of those >$100 can be treated as being poorly designed and overpriced scams unless proven otherwise.

Last edited:

firedog

Fire Dog may not understand the premise of 'sampling'.

firedog understands it quite well. That's exactly my point.

"Sampling" proves nothing, and in fact can result in incorrect/skewed conclusions. What is needed is true "random sampling" and a number of samples in the random pool that is statistically significant relative to the entire number of models of DAC in existence. That's "science". Anything else is "science like". Actual scientific testing is difficult and expensive and is one of the reasons it almost is never actually done in the audio world.

It also would be difficult to get a true random sample of the DACs on the market, as "DAC" isn't a scientifically clear concept for these purposes and it would have to be precisely defined beforehand; i.e. what qualifies as a DAC for the test.

I'm not saying anything against Amir, but his method fulfills neither requirement. So his testing is useful as an indication, but it isn't "proof" in the scientific sense. You are welcome to 100% take it as proof, if you'd like. But that's just an assumption on your part, not proof in the sense of scientific proof. You would also need to have his testing repeated and affirmed by others for it to be "proof".

Amir tested a few DACs that happen to be available to him, not a random sample. It's useful fo laymen and in practical terms is probably the only testing we are going to get - but it doesn't tell us anything conclusive about other DACs he didn't test. We actually have no way of knowing that if he tested more DACs that he would get the same results.

If you want to participate in "science" and claim scientifically accurate conclusions, then stick to scientific standards and not some armchair version. The word "science" gets thrown around here and in other audio forums in situations where it doesn't apply and by people who have no concept of what scientific testing is.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He's got a pair of kii three's though so he's put his money into well thought out, expertly designed and engineered speakers.

That tell me something :)

So he's done what 1000's of us have done. What does that tell you exactly?

noobie1

Firedog,

Not trying to be confrontational but is there a single consensus for scientific standard or best practice? What might be sufficient standard for one "scientist" might not be sufficient for another.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I personally am past the idea of the analog outputs not showing a difference, that seems 'true' if the DAC is half decent..

I'm interested in what the listening tests ( if any) say .. otherwise we don't really have a chance at furthering the debate here do we?

I will allow some further fruitless back and forth but past that we are at that stage where new evidence is needed.

When I asked Alex of Uptone he said he would. Amir offered to fly out. I think the result of that speaks volumes.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Comment was made at CA Forum about averaging. As I mentioned in my original post and easy to miss :), I used 32 times averaging. I did that as to dig out even the slightest non-random distortions. Reason for doing that is that psychoacoustically we are far more sensitive to these distortion tones than noise. Just see how easy it is to tune out the noise of your computer fan relative to a faucet dripping.

But still, I am happy to post the results without averaging. I had to send the Mytek back to its owner so this test is with the $70 Behringer UMC204HD:

Behringer without averaging.png

Due to lack of averaging, we see a lot of random activity. Please note that high magnification of this chart. The fluctuations are small, spread between -127 db and - 140 db.

As you see, there are spikes in each graph that is not in the other. As I run it multiple times, the values keep changing in that same degree of spread regardless of whether the Regen is in the loop or not.

Here is another way to show that, this time I run multiple passes but no average. First, the Behringer by itself:

Behringer multiple runs without averaging.png

Those are all run to run fluctuations.

And here it is with ISO Regen:

Behringer With ISO Regen multiple runs without averaging.png

There is just nothing of substance here. Not averaging just makes the graphs harder to read but otherwise shows no performance improvement from ISO Regen even with this cheap DAC.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
When I asked Alex of Uptone he said he would. Amir offered to fly out. I think the result of that speaks volumes.

Would Fire Dog be up for it?
More appropriate would be a bunch of amir s friends ( well, err... guys who tolerate him:D) from his audiophile society getting together to 'test' a few things .

im not sure what good one anonymous guy can do, probably time to move on from firedog jinjuku.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
firedog understands it quite well. That's exactly my point.

"Sampling" proves nothing, and in fact can result in incorrect/skewed conclusions. What is needed is true "random sampling" and a number of samples in the random pool that is statistically significant relative to the entire number of models of DAC in existence. That's "science". Anything else is "science like". Actual scientific testing is difficult and expensive and is one of the reasons it almost is never actually done in the audio world.

It also would be difficult to get a true random sample of the DACs on the market, as "DAC" isn't a scientifically clear concept for these purposes and it would have to be precisely defined beforehand; i.e. what qualifies as a DAC for the test.

I'm not saying anything against Amir, but his method fulfills neither requirement. So his testing is useful as an indication, but it isn't "proof" in the scientific sense. You are welcome to 100% take it as proof, if you'd like. But that's just an assumption on your part, not proof in the sense of scientific proof. You would also need to have his testing repeated and affirmed by others for it to be "proof".

Amir tested a few DACs that happen to be available to him, not a random sample. It's useful fo laymen and in practical terms is probably the only testing we are going to get - but it doesn't tell us anything conclusive about other DACs he didn't test. We actually have no way of knowing that if he tested more DACs that he would get the same results.

If you want to participate in "science" and claim scientifically accurate conclusions, then stick to scientific standards and not some armchair version. The word "science" gets thrown around here and in other audio forums in situations where it doesn't apply and by people who have no concept of what scientific testing is.

Amir has more DAC's coming I believe. So far it's small sample size, but it's still a random assortment of gear. The trend I'm seeing so far is that DAC's can be either designed properly or poorly. I'll stick with properly designed gear.

I take your point of repeat-ability of Amir's testing method. I look forward to iFi, Schitt, UpTone, AudioQuest, Itona, all debunking him. Could you please provide us with all those links?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More appropriate would be a bunch of amir s friends ( well, err... guys who tolerate him:D) from his audiophile society getting together to 'test' a few things .

im not sure what good one anonymous guy can do, probably time to move on from firedog jinjuku.

I'm being entirely cordial. If some faulty logic gets pointed out I'm going to want to reply in a cordial manner also. Hard, strategically thought out questions, aren't antithesis of being respectful.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hold the press folks! :D

Something caught my eye in the last set of measurements. There was a difference in low frequencies. So I did another set of measurements with the Behringer UMC204HD DAC (self-powered) without and with ISO Regen (comes with external power supply):

Behringer zoomed in.png

Ah man... The ISO Regen is inducing power supply ripple (60 Hz and harmonics thereof) into the Behringer DAC's output (in red)!!!

The Behringer is self-powered from USB bus so it seems that the power coming from USB was cleaner in this regard than what ISO Regen is generating!

Now, these are not of audible consequence but what the heck???

It tells me that these devices have not had a modicum of measurements and design qualification applied to them.

So again, the case that our instrumentation is not enough to show differences is proven dead wrong. We are able to find issues when they exist. And here unfortunately the UpTone ISO Regen is creating problems not there before.

To find out the source of the increased noise, I powered the ISO Regen using my lab supply. This is the results in red for ISO Regen with its own power supply and my lab supply (yellow)

upload_2017-8-4_10-32-16.png

As we see, the power supply frequency and noise harmonics are gone. Admittedly it also suppressed a tiny peak at 180 Hz that was there without ISO Regen.

There are no mysteries here folks. We can examine product design, and confirm its performance or lack thereof using our instrumentation.

Bottom line, if you use the $325 UpTone ISO Regen with Behringer UMC204HD, you are degrading its performance not improving it!

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hold the press folks! :D

Something caught my eye in the last set of measurements. There was a difference in low frequencies. So I did another set of measurements with the Behringer UMC204HD DAC (self-powered) without and with ISO Regen (comes with external power supply):

View attachment 8061

Ah man... The ISO Regen is inducing power supply ripple (60 Hz and harmonics thereof) into the Behringer DAC's output (in red)!!!

The Behringer is self-powered from USB bus so it seems that the power coming from USB was cleaner in this regard than what ISO Regen is generating!

Now, these are not of audible consequence but what the heck???

It tells me that these devices have not had a modicum of measurements and design qualification applied to them.

So again, the case that our instrumentation is not enough to show differences is proven dead wrong. We are able to find issues when they exist. And here unfortunately the UpTone ISO Regen is creating problems not there before.

To find out the source of the increased noise, I powered the ISO Regen using my lab supply. This is the results in red for ISO Regen with its own power supply and my lab supply (yellow)

View attachment 8062

As we see, the power supply frequency and noise harmonics are gone. Admittedly it also suppressed a tiny peak at 180 Hz that was there without ISO Regen.

There are no mysteries here folks. We can examine product design, and confirm its performance or lack thereof using our instrumentation.

Bottom line, if you use the $325 UpTone ISO Regen with Behringer UMC204HD, you are degrading its performance not improving it!

Sorry Amir, I guess you haven't heard that you don't have a proper random, or sized sample....

Top Bottom