• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

jasonk

Well.... I probably would have returned it anyway, as I never heard a difference through blind (or sighted) listening. :rolleyes:
Ah..... we will have to concentrate on saving other poor souls :)

mansr

Major Contributor
index.php
Looking at this photo, a few things stand out:

1a. No attempt appears to have been made regarding trace length matching either within each differential pair or between the 4 pairs of each port. For a company constantly banging on about signal integrity, such sloppiness has no excuse, even if it works in practice.

1b. The diff pairs appear to have been routed as separate traces resulting in variable spacing. Again, no excuse not to get this right.

2a. The voltage regulators are all bunched together, far from the loads they are supplying. This distance likely defeats the low noise these devices are capable of (as if it mattered here).

2b. The PCB layout around the LT3045 regulators looks nothing like that recommended by ADI.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Now you're just throwing wood on the 'ASR is a cult' bonfire ;)
We need some severe looking outfits , I'm thinking knee high leather boots , well fitted trousers and shirts .. black, grey , red and white colour palette.

Some kind of bird as a insignia maybe perched on a soldering iron, oh leather caps can't have too much leather .

We want to be taken seriously, this will help.

decoRyder

From the product page:

The heart of what makes our switch so unique is use of ACTIVE, HIGH-SPEED, LOW-JITTER DIFFERENTIAL DIGITAL ISOLATOR chips in conjunction with ULTRA-LOW JITTER DIFFERENTIAL RE-CLOCKING FLIP-FLOPS. No other Ethernet switch on the market does this. Implementing this architecture correctly is difficult and costly!

Wow - total snakeoil - I wonder if the proprietors of 'Uptone Audio' have ever heard of Manchester Encoding, used by any old switch in existence.

digicidal

Major Contributor
The PCB layout around the LT3045 regulators looks nothing like that recommended by ADI.
That's because ADI stupidly wasn't aware of how damaging to the texture and soul of the data their reference designs were. Hopefully they are now in touch and working with Uptone on the next revisions which I'm sure will sound much more sublime. :D

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We need some severe looking outfits , I'm thinking knee high leather boots , well fitted trousers and shirts .. black, grey , red and white colour palette.

Some kind of bird as a insignia maybe perched on a soldering iron, oh leather caps can't have too much leather .

We want to be taken seriously, this will help.
So like a kinky kraftwerk?
1142c1fcfe958a3b0e3000c08840dee5ed0949b2

mansr

Major Contributor
From the product page:
The heart of what makes our switch so unique is use of ACTIVE, HIGH-SPEED, LOW-JITTER DIFFERENTIAL DIGITAL ISOLATOR chips in conjunction with ULTRA-LOW JITTER DIFFERENTIAL RE-CLOCKING FLIP-FLOPS. No other Ethernet switch on the market does this. Implementing this architecture correctly is difficult and costly!
Wow - total snakeoil - I wonder if the proprietors of 'Uptone Audio' have ever heard of Manchester Encoding, used by any old switch in existence.
Manchester encoding is used for 10 Mbps Ethernet. 100 Mbps uses NRZI coding similar to USB, and GbE uses PAM5. That's all on the twisted pair cabling. Inside a device, behind the PHY, other formats are used, usually GMII, RGMII, or SGMII. Presumably it is one of these formats that crosses their isolation barrier. Not that this makes any sense of their techobabble.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Looking at this photo, a few things stand out:

1a. No attempt appears to have been made regarding trace length matching either within each differential pair or between the 4 pairs of each port. For a company constantly banging on about signal integrity, such sloppiness has no excuse, even if it works in practice.

1b. The diff pairs appear to have been routed as separate traces resulting in variable spacing. Again, no excuse not to get this right.

2a. The voltage regulators are all bunched together, far from the loads they are supplying. This distance likely defeats the low noise these devices are capable of (as if it mattered here).

2b. The PCB layout around the LT3045 regulators looks nothing like that recommended by ADI.
The layout person probably is the only down-to-earth guy in this company and decided to just get the job done rather than freaking out. He was handed a schematic, given a fixed PCB real estate and connector layout (as the casing tools already have been ordered after some eye-balling) and for sure he had a strict time-line with the boss looking over his shoulders from time to time, making subtle noises of restlessness... at least that's what I could easily imagine, been there, done that.
No excuse for what we see of course, just a bit of sympathy for the infantry.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
oh leather caps can't have too much leather .

As a big fan of 80's Metal I couldn't agree more, but we need to ditch the totalitarian colors and replace them with studs, chains and maybe a bullet belt.

I vote for London Leatherboys by Accept as our theme song!

As a bonus, the sexual ambiguity will work together with the PC culture to make us practically immune to any critique :p

digicidal

Major Contributor
About the only objective measurements that could have any bearing on this device would be throughput (which I would hope is the same as a generic $20 desktop switch) and the physical dimensions of the case.

Not possible to have objective measurements of sound - as data doesn't have any - so it should sound as good (or bad) as whatever streaming DAC or PC is on the other end of the network connection.

jasonk

I would encourage anyone that's interested in this device to look at the objective measurements; that tells the whole story.
Eh ?? That's the whole point. There are none. Testing to see if an Ethernet switch can enhance the quality of the audio encoded into a digital stream being transported by TCP/IP over an Ethernet connection is like testing to see if a ball will rise or fall when I let go of it.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait until John Swenson designs his new measurement technology. It will clearly demonstrate that the ball is rising while you all think it’s falling.
The same way you their new measurement device isn't getting closer to release, it's really getting further from release.

keV

A simple and extremely meaningful measurement test @amirm can conduct right now without this ether regen is to connect a dac to a PC connected to a very ordinary network switch, one we can assume must be deficient if we believe that the ether regen does something beneficial. Apply test signals and measure. Whilst measuring pull out the ethernet cable from the switch to the PC.

The test signal will continue to play because its buffered in the PC. If the network switch was causing any problem we will measure an improvement in the output signal from the DAC.

No you wouldn't. I keep seeing this argument but I don't understand it. The buffered signal has already passed through the switch, so any potential problem or benefit is already in the buffered signal. Pulling out the ethernet cable is irrelevant.

The post following the original with the spoof justification highlights this. Pulling out the cable can't affect the signal that is already in the buffer.

Top Bottom