• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
John Swenson, the engineer behind EtherREGEN, has been promising to develop some new tech to measure this immeasurable noise for many years. I’m still waiting.
You and me both. :) If current gear is so bad as to need fixing, one doesn't need new instrumentation.

And it is not like any customer can hear noise with their current gear as to need to lower it.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
With noise being trivial to measure, it is incredible that this company after years of building devices to supposedly remove noise from DACs and such, has yet to provide this simple before and after measurement to us!

Their other devices I have tested actually injected some mains noise into the chain, not remove it.

I don't know why audiophiles don't ask such logical questions. Company says they reduce noise or jitter, ask them to show this. Why look the other way?
You don't understand Amirm , it's ok as your traditional knowledge is outdated nowadays so can't be blamed.

John is working on a new measurement system to prove the effectiveness of this and indeed all uptone devices . It's pioneering work that he's uniquely qualified to undertake unfortunately this means the process is taking longer than we hoped.

Stand by for A groundbreaking white paper once it's all finished .

In the meantime look at all the happy customers, they use their ears and currently that's all one really needs .

Have you listened to it ? Or just rushing to judgment...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I rushed to judgement making you moderator. You would think I have learned my lesson. But not!!!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I rushed to judgement making you moderator. You would think I have learned my lesson. But not!!!
Well looking at the Microsoft internal emails , that was probably one of your better decisions..

Not saying a lot but...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
John Swenson, the engineer behind EtherREGEN, has been promising to develop some new tech to measure this immeasurable noise for many years. I’m still waiting.
Anyone know the first time this wonder device was promised to be coming soon? 5 years or more is my guess.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With noise being trivial to measure, it is incredible that this company after years of building devices to supposedly remove noise from DACs and such, has yet to provide this simple before and after measurement to us!
I find it even more incredible people still believe in noise they cannot be hear being a problem that can be fixed by a device that comes with no proof of the problem or solution.

JeffGB

I could never downgrade my system with a "slow" switch like this. My gigabit switch is 10 times faster and catches the leading edge on brass instruments much better! Seriously though, who buys a 100 base t switch in 2019? When you download music it has gone through so many switches and routers that the "damage would be done" if there really were any differences. Do downloaded music files sound different with each download due to the difference in the network path and number of switches? I'm pretty sure they don't.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Seriously though, who buys a 100 base t switch in 2019?
What? This thing is 100BaseT? You have to be kidding me. John is a networking hardware engineer and in this day and age could not build a 1000BasteT switch???

solderdude

Grand Contributor
but ...
When I change my USB cable it improves the sound (the last meter of connection)
When I use an USB reclocker I get wonderful improvements in SQ despite the DAC reclocking anyway.
when I change my interlinks (the last meter of connection) the sound improves despite having gone through many meters of cable in the studio.
When I change my power cable (the last meter) I get a wonderful improvement despite the hundreds of meters of cheap copper in front of it.
When I change my speaker cable there is a huge improvement in bass despite the many meters of copper wire in the low pass filter in the speaker.
So changing the last meter of network cable should also give improvements despite the countless meters of cable before it.
Besides... the 1GB switch has too sharp edges... that won't sound good ... edgy... 100MB is perfect ... 10MB is too slow and blurs the sound.

The wonders of the last meter....

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
From the Uptone site:

On the EtherREGEN’s ‘A’ -side, there are four Gigabit copper Ethernet ports, plus an SFP cage for a Gigabit LC optical module. A typical user will attach a single Ethernet cable from their main network router or switch to any of these ‘A’ -side ports —as illustrated on the opposite page. This leaves open three additional RJ45 copper ports (and the SFP cage) on the ‘A’ side. The choice to connect any server, NAS (network attached storage), or other devices to these ports —or to leave that equipment attached to your main upstream switch/router—is mostly a matter of convenience and effects on sonic performance are likely to be small.

Across the ADIM ™, at the other end of the EtherREGEN , is a single 100Mbps copper Ethernet port. This is the ‘B’ -side port. Attach the computer/streamer/renderer endpoint that is directly connected to your DAC * to the ‘B’ -side Ethernet port with a copper Ethernet cable. ( *DACs that have an Ethernet input can be directly connected to the ‘B’ -side port).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Do downloaded music files sound different with each download due to the difference in the network path and number of switches? I'm pretty sure they don't.

Only "pretty sure"?

ccw

I'm looking forward to listening to my system with this switch. (I doubt the illustrious critics here will deign to listen before making their predictable condemnations).

I'm very sceptical of most things in Audiophileland-- but I trust my ability to hear differences (or not) if I listen in a simple blind test. If I don't hear positive results from the EtherRegn, I'll certainly report that here and on the Uptone listening thread. It looks like I would be the first to do so as the numerous reports so far have been completely positive.

Now maybe you guys think it's mass delusion? I suppose that's possible, but I'll wait to listen. And there's something about the cluster-snark attitude exhibited here makes want to pull for Swenson and co.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'll certainly report that here and on the Uptone listening thread. It looks like I would be the first to do so as the numerous reports so far have been completely positive.

Why would anyone shame themselves publicly among their buddies by admitting "I couldn't hear a difference"?

(I would, but, I stick around here, and decline listening tests except for moments of self flagellation)

Soares

You don't understand Amirm , it's ok as your traditional knowledge is outdated nowadays so can't be blamed.

John is working on a new measurement system to prove the effectiveness of this and indeed all uptone devices . It's pioneering work that he's uniquely qualified to undertake unfortunately this means the process is taking longer than we hoped.

Stand by for A groundbreaking white paper once it's all finished .

In the meantime look at all the happy customers, they use their ears and currently that's all one really needs .

You’re loosing your time here... Nobody will seriously engage in an open discussion. The first thing they will ask is to show measurements. I’d say my measurements are my one ears. The rest I really don’t care. I received my Etherregen and I am very happy with it. For the others that claim that Ethernet switches don’t do a difference, let them stay in the ignorance. I don’t have patience nor time to try to convince them otherwise.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
You’re loosing your time here... Nobody will seriously engage in an open discussion. The first thing they will ask is to show measurements. I’d say my measurements are my one ears. The rest I really don’t care. I received my Etherregen and I am very happy with it. For the others that claim that Ethernet switches don’t do a difference, let them stay in the ignorance. I don’t have patience nor time to try to convince them otherwise.

Then you are wasting your (and our) time posting here. As is @ccw. Your posts are as close-minded and denigrating as you claim us to be.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You’re loosing your time here... Nobody will seriously engage in an open discussion. The first thing they will ask is to show measurements. I’d say my measurements are my one ears. The rest I really don’t care.
Two things:

1. What other than good comes out of measurements and testing the thing for proper operation as claimed? Maybe it runs poorly. I tested the Uptone ISO Regen USB from them. When one thinks of "regen," you would think the USB signal is generated stronger. Well, turns out the ISO Regen performed worse than $20 commodity USB hub in its inability to deal with weaker USB signals/long cable lengths. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...regen-review-and-measurements.1829/post-46635

With a shorter cable it produced this output:

index.php

This is what happened when I doubled the USB cable length (top graph):

index.php

The Uptone USB ISO Regen clearly was losing data. So much so that the effect was quite audible: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...regen-review-and-measurements.1829/post-46676

2. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE listening tests. What we don't want is what you think you heard, as opposed to what the sound waves did that hit your ears.

I can buy one of these Etherregen boxes, take out the guts, and put in a $20 switch in it, and get upstanding folks like you swear it still improves the sound! That it lowers the noise floor. Increases the soundstage. Lifts veils, makes digital less harsh, makes digital like analog, etc.

How is this possible? Simple, perception is not the same as sound that the ears capture. I can play two identical files for you and have you say one is better in all the respects per above. I can even do that if you think the "better" version is going to be worse!

When you compare gear with your "ears" you must do it in a way that avoids the above pitfalls. That calls for not knowing which is which. And running enough trials to make sure you are not getting lucky with one or two guesses.

This issue has been known for decades in audio research and for that reason, no one that does this work seriously will accept your "listening" results to have any value.

I am so confident in above that if you can perform this test reliably, and tell the difference using ears with this versus another switch I will donate $1,000 to your favorite charity. I will give you $10,000 if you can tell Ethergen reliably form another if you give me $1,000 if you fail.

Likely you won't take my bet. If so hang low, listen to what we have to say. We are not stupid here. And nor is the entire audio research and engineering. Give us a bit of credit that there is a reason we judge things the way we do.

Top Bottom