• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny though Jason, I see in your signature that you have two EMO Systems LAN isolators (total retail almost $400; actual parts cost less than $40). What are those passive devices doing for you?
Feel free to look at the measurements and their actual intended use in the medical industry for surges. I'd like to see your non-exsistent measurements though.

Soares

If I may advice, try a Cisco 2960. I’ve already a couple of units between 20 to 60$ (used of course). Then listen to stream files or movies from your Apple TV... If you want to go further drop an optical module. I am so sorry, but it makes a different and not a subtle one. Cheers

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I spoke to the folks at Uptone Audio some six months ago about a power supply, and the conversation turned to this REGEN product, soon to be introduced. The suggestion was that this would be “just what I needed”. I honestly didn’t understand why it would be a better choice than a linear power supply at the time. But now I really do need an Ethernet switch and I am wondering why I shouldn’t be interested in a product like this from Uptown Audio. Or the AQVOX switch recently reviewed by Hans Beekhausen. Seriously, is there a reason to spend some real dollars on a switch? And if so, are there some good switches out there?

No reason at all.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Funny though Jason, I see in your signature that you have two EMO Systems LAN isolators (total retail almost $400; actual parts cost less than $40). What are those passive devices doing for you?
Our product uses active differential isolators and 10GHz-capable ultra low jitter differential flip-flops. Our cost for just the parts on the board (not counting the cost of the bare 6-layer PCB with micro-vias or the cost to assemble) is more than $200.
View attachment 35309
Ethernet is already isolated as standard.

Can you show us some measurements of the difference it makes to a dac output?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I may advice, try a Cisco 2960. I’ve already a couple of units between 20 to 60$ (used of course). Then listen to stream files or movies from your Apple TV... If you want to go further drop an optical module. I am so sorry, but it makes a different and not a subtle one. Cheers
Does it change picture quality too?

BillG

Major Contributor

Do you have before and after performance measurements? Our brains are capable of generating a difference where there isn't an actual one, because we want it to, and this perception isn't subtle to the individual unless exposed under controlled conditions.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Given that any benefit this product may impart to bits happens upstream of this processing chain:
Ethernet card-->OS kernel-->audio application-->DAC driver-->DAC-->acoustic transducer

What influence do you claim to impart to the generated sound waves?
Indeed.

This product is moronic. The slightest amount of critical thinking demonstrates it to be utterly useless.

My question is do they beleive this product provides benefit, in which case they are technically incompetent, or are they selling a product they know to be ineffective in which case they are deliberately making false claims?

Last edited:

dc655321

Major Contributor
Indeed.

This product is moronic. The slightest amount of critical thinking demonstrates it to be utterly useless.

My question is do they beleive this product provides benefit, in which case they are technically incompetent, or are they selling a product they know to be ineffective in which case they are deliberately making false claims?

Well, given they have the chops to put something like this together, I'd say the answer is clear...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously, is there a reason to spend some real dollars on a switch? And if so, are there some good switches out there?

Yes - spend real dollars (or your local currency) on one. Don't steal!

Spend those dollars on a company known for making reliable computer networking hardware. Consider an expensive one with powered (PoE) outputs as well, if you're running cameras in addition to audio.

Soares

Does it change picture quality too?
The impact could also be seen using a TV. But from some of the comments I got after my post, It’s not useful to pursue this track. I am so sorry to try to give an useful input. Do long guys.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I do networking for a living ..
Any switch from Netgear, TP Link, Linksys, Trendnet, etc is good enough for the purpose of Audio or Video .. There is no need to acquire a Cisco 2960 or whatever. These are cheap om the used market, true, but these tend to consume much more than the new generation of switches
.. a $15 TP Link switch such as this one
1570415583943.png

will pass Gigabit speed with no issues and last years with no intervention whatsoever, while consuming less than 3 watts of electricity ... Redbook Audio doesn't need much more than 2 Mb/s to be happy ... this cheap switch will do 1000 Mb/s on each port! 24/7/365 (days)/10(years) ... It is also likely made in China :D

Last edited:
OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you show us some measurements of the difference it makes to a dac output?
No, they can't show any real objective measurement on any product that they have produced. Total farce

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, they can't show any real objective measurement on any product that they have produced. Total farce
Now, now, the canned response to inquiries like this is John Swenson is working on tests to show this and we'll be releasing a white paper. All this after having designed and sold devices of course. Oh, and...........you'll never see the tests or the white paper. No need after dozens or hundreds buy the product and can testify as to its effectiveness.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed.

My question is do they believe this product provides benefit, in which case they are technically incompetent, or are they selling a product they know to be ineffective in which case they are deliberately making false claims?
Sadly, they do believe it or at least they have convinced themselves and others that it's the end game. Then again when you're listening to the below and can't measure any equipment properly to backup all claims, anything is possible. :eek:

Posted April 26, 2018
Yes the Bazookas are the speakers in the new listening room. I have a Rythmik sub in there as well, which does a great job filling in the bottom octave.

A few years ago I swapped out the EX3s for PM2A silver voice coils with TICONAL magnets. These sound amazing.

I'm JUST getting the phono setup working right now so things are a little messed up right now, not a good time to take pictures. I actually got to listen to a few LPs last night!! (the digital stuff is shut down right now because I have all the LPS-1(.2)s in the lab for testing right now. Unfortunately I don't have separate "lab" and "listening" versions, so whenever I need to do tests I have to take the listening system apart.

After I get everything back together I'll take some pictures.

John S.

Posted April 27, 2018
The design is a bit unusual, there are actually two tubes, an 8" inner one and a 12" outer one. The driver back goes into the inner tube, which ends about 8" from the back of the outer tube. The driver "plate" is square, the open sections are the "port". The interior of both the central and outer tubes have damping material added in just the right amount to create a critically damped resonance. I ran impedance tests as I stuffed from which I could easily tell when it was at critical damping.

The acoustical design is based on Martin King's work, but he just uses a standard box with the port on the bottom. With this coaxial arrangement the sound coming from the port is symmetrical with the driver which I think gives much better imaging than the port being several feet from the driver.

John S.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30173-johns-life-changes/?do=findComment&comment=813894

Attachments

• swenson.png
    swenson.png
    911.1 KB · Views: 188
OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now, now, the canned response to inquiries like this is John Swenson is working on tests to show this and we'll be releasing a white paper. All this after having designed and sold devices of course. Oh, and...........you'll never see the tests or the white paper. No need after dozens or hundreds buy the product and can testify as to its effectiveness.
I asked years ago when the first product was coming out.....I'm fairly certain they know the day they show measurements they're done. Peer reviewed is the only way it can be taken seriously in a scientific world and let's face it; it ain't scientific! :facepalm:

Audiocrusader

I asked years ago when the first product was coming out.....I'm fairly certain they know the day they show measurements they're done. Peer reviewed is the only way it can be taken seriously in a scientific world and let's face it; it ain't scientific! :facepalm:

Looking at your system setup, may I ask why one would spend $11500 for a DAC, only to feed it into a mediocre ADC and convert it back to digital?? That seems absolutely absurd on so many levels. What this screams loud and clear to me is not only do you not believe the measurement data on this forum that proves DAC's under $500 are absolutely transparent, but you don't understand that your system can only be as good as the weakest link.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at your system setup, may I ask why one would spend $11500 for a DAC, only to feed it into a mediocre ADC and convert it back to digital?? That seems absolutely absurd on so many levels. What this screams loud and clear to me is not only do you not believe the measurement data on this forum that proves DAC's under $500 are absolutely transparent, but you don't understand that your system can only be as good as the weakest link.
Thanks! Clearly you're the JBL expert...

Top Bottom