• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

thyname

When comparing gear, you are not enjoying anything. You are embarking on a very different task than enjoying music. You are trying to determine some facts, using an artificial process.

I guess we are different. Some people can be different than others. Is that OK? I listen to something. If I like it, I buy it. Simple. I don’t have to sweat it much. Or if I buy something sight unseen / unheard, I make sure only if I can return it if it does nothing for me

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I guess we are different. Some people can be different than others. Is that OK? I listen to something. If I like it, I buy it. Simple. I don’t have to sweat it much. Or if I buy something sight unseen / unheard, I make sure only if I can return it if it does nothing for me
What does that have to do with us then? Here, we want reliable information about audio. You doing some random test, arriving at who knows what outcome, is of no value to us whatsoever because the data point is not reliable. As long as you don't waste our time with it, you can do what you want....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a f*cking Ethernet switch. What do you expect it to do? Summon fairies?
Yes this. I think Ethernet switches have outpaced the creative abilities of subjectivist creators to come up with any kind of pseudo explanation beyond, oh something about isolation. Isolation from what?

thyname

Amir has already replied to this. Controlled listening means level matched and blind so your ears are guiding you. So you'll not think you hear a difference when there isn't one. If you are comparing different bits of gear, this is an effective method. Just listening while noting your impressions, and seeing how happy you are with it is at best very unreliable.

Now once I'm done comparing things, sure I just fire everything up and listen for pleasure to the music.

If I like something, I would know immediately. I can easily tell. If I really have a hard time noticing a difference, then It’s not worth making a change. It goes back. Simple.

And often times, one way to tell is putting the “old” thing back, see what happens. All these preferably happening over a week or two.

Again, this is a hobby for me. Not life or death.

thyname

What does that have to do with us then? Here, we want reliable information about audio. You doing some random test, arriving at who knows what outcome, is of no value to us whatsoever because the data point is not reliable. As long as you don't waste our time with it, you can do what you want....

‘You are right. I am not sure why I posted. My bad.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If I like something, I would know immediately. I can easily tell. If I really have a hard time noticing a difference, then It’s not worth making a change. It goes back. Simple.
Once more: I can produce identical sound twice in a row and have you "immediately like" the second version better. Much better in fact. Yet, the sounds are identical.

You need to learn the science regarding how corrupt your perception is. This is what manufacturers are taking advantage of. The fact that audiophiles think like you and can so easily be talked into liking any and all things. I can give you a box with rocks in it and convince you it makes the sound better. Indeed, I have such a box that sells for as much as $3,000!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Why would anyone shame themselves publicly among their buddies by admitting "I couldn't hear a difference"?

Just to add a little insult to that idea - it's my own so I should be permitted to do that...

More/less veiled
More/less defined
More/less resolved
More/less airy
etc

Opinion:

All acceptable in a purely subjective conversation about some hypothetical sound comparison.

You don't even have to have listened to the gear to join in! Just say you did, at a show, or somebody's house, or somebody else said...

You think they sound the same? Even if they, just maybe, do?

Blasphemous!

I think you're misinterpreting what I said. I don't assume the EtherRegen will do anything in my system. I'll judge that when I carefully listen to the best of my ability.

Ethernet is quite robust and mature.

If you see errors in the ethernet layer itself, then you might have a problem that a change of cable/device/software/buffering might correct.

If not, I'll continue to assume there's nothing to fix.

1573785149347.png

Looks good over the last 33 days from the point of view of the PC here.

1573785362411.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If not, I'll continue to assume there's nothing to fix.

index.php

Looks good over the last 33 days from the point of view of the PC here.
I will join in. From my 50 port switch:
1573785770215.png

1573785799156.png

Not a single error across many active ports. Port g49 is actually fiber to a switch and then another switch and then a security camera that is running 24/7. Between the last two switches there is some 300 feet of copper.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So you guys never seen the light of the EtherRegen, and yet, you are absolutely certain it does nothing? And willing to bet $10,000 on it? What happened to measurements?
It's very simple. Anyone who has the slightest understanding of how ethernet works, how computers work, digital audio works, and is capable of just little bit of critical thought, will conclude there is no mechanism for this to make any improvement.

It's a con. We don't need to see or measure it to draw an accurate conclusion. It's about not believing in fairies , not blindly believing the marketing claims and using existing knowledge to inform yourself.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Controlled listening? What does that even mean? I listen for pleasure. As a hobby. For enjoyment. This is not a job for me.
Making informed decisions in life is not restricted to ones professional arena .

It's very simple, everyone here knows they are faulty , they know their brains can jazz up incoming signals from their ears leading to unreliable conclusions being made .

They all know this and accept it, to mitigate this most try and starve the brain of such opportunities and they do that by adding controls to the procedure of critical listening assessments.

They all then know they are fallible human beings, not infallible egomaniacs who refuse to believe they never could be wrong.

Now this forum is for people who take an interest in audio and want to know what's going on with the electronics and our system of hearing and accept ( embraced even) they are fallible human beings with regard to listening and possibly many other things. They sign up with a will to learn , a want to understand, share knowledge and have fun.

If this does not sound like you, you can go somewhere else there's no shame in that no one here is too fussed about it different strokes for different folks etc etc etc.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
When comparing gear, you are not enjoying anything. You are embarking on a very different task than enjoying music. You are trying to determine some facts, using an artificial process.
Well no , folks turn that into a self affirming cycle that though maddening from a outsiders pov , to them and indeed most audiophiles it's literally what their in it for.

The artistic analysis of music through the medium of of listening via and explicitly to particular bits of hi-fi equipment.

It's a search for personal truth not universal truth, you then go online and although you can disagree on the conclusions of subjective listening the act of talking about it affirms the process. Only when they come here with that process and the expectation of said affirmation is vanquished do you get problems.

They then affirm their set of beliefs by strongly opposing another set of beliefs thusly reinstating the cycle. Gaining the security that strict definition of self provides by standing next to a opposite.

As a forum we don't really want to be used in this way, it's counterproductive and is a great distraction to the members who are actually here to learn ,share knowledge , understanding and have fun.

Now would be a good time to think about how and if we can stop this from happening without hurting ourselves and the ambition of the forum to spread the spirit of learning.

Now I'm off to work , like @DonH56 I'm exceptionally brilliant busy.

Top Bottom