• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone EtherREGEN

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm canceling all my streaming service subscriptions. EtherREGEN threads provide enough entertainment, I don't need more. Sometimes I think they are posting this stuff just to provoke a response :D

So my point is - this process has made it VERY hard to pin down the "sound" of the etherREGEN. It has evolved - and evolved to the point where I have trouble describing what exactly it does - except allow me to hear better into the music.
Burn is very real with this device and took me through many stages before it more or less settled where it is now. During this process the sound of the etherREGEN changed many times and pinning down its 'sonic signature' is now very difficult for me to do.

A whole lot more in the detailed, entertaining review:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...re-moved-here/?do=findComment&comment=1008997

jasonk

If Netflix wants to become ‘audiophile’ compliant, they have to replace all of the generic commodity switches and utility Ethernet cables with ‘audiophile’ versions

But wait, I am already getting 4K films with 768 kbps Atmos sound reproduced perfectly on my home cinema without special switches and cables.

What sorcery is this? Is it witch-craft?

D

Deleted member 65

So, I’ve now reassessed my +30 years of IT Networking knowledge. My conclusion is I’ve been wrong all these years and extremely narrow minded. It took me a rerun of Star Trek Discovery to realize what an amazing achievement the EtherREGEN is.

Uptone has finally mastered Tardigrades zooming through spore networks in the ER!

1575288666732.jpeg

jasonk

Has my network gone down or have we run out of things to say abouyt the EtherRegen? :)

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am so confident in above that if you can perform this test reliably, and tell the difference using ears with this versus another switch I will donate $1,000 to your favorite charity. I will give you $10,000 if you can tell Ethergen reliably form another if you give me $1,000 if you fail.

Likely you won't take my bet. If so hang low, listen to what we have to say. We are not stupid here. And nor is the entire audio research and engineering. Give us a bit of credit that there is a reason we judge things the way we do.

Because the post will get deleted I offered to cover Alex's $1000. Yes I'm also Plissken and also Mark Brown.

1575506005316.png

Juhazi

Major Contributor
There's another good choice for the budget Uptone switch - now on sale in USA for just $4k+ And it looks much better too
https://waversasystems.com/
WRouter_180704_08257_r-min.png

https://www.kevalinaudio.com/product-page/waversa-wrouter

"I put the WRouter in between the streamer and Wcore. The WRouter has a dirty side set of Ethernet ports (PC, internet, etc.) and a clean side of audio Ethernet ports. I put the Wcore and streamer on the clean side, and the internet on the dirty side. I got a very surprising improvement doing so. The background got even more black, any remaining tension totally removed, more focus. All with no tradeoff. It only improved every aspect of listening. This piece was much more of an improvement than all of my network tweaks combined. A truly amazing improvement." Paul Hovenga, Many Moons Audio.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"The background got even more black"
Poor background. It keeps getting blacker and blacker. It has already exited our known universe on what black is, and gone into another universe of existence. As such, the game is anew and it can keep getting blacker and blacker...

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I translated the parts in moon-rune for those who care:
WRouter_180704_08257_r-min.png

EDIT: The first item should read Lithium-ion battery. :facepalm:

Another hype- and snake oil-based Japanese "boutique" "high-end audio" "audiophile" company, I see. For some reason I've always thought that we needed more "boutique" brands, something other than Luxman, Accuphase, AudioNote (Japan) and Esoteric. Guess this is it...

Last edited:

FWIW

Given that any benefit this product may impart to bits happens upstream of this processing chain:
Ethernet card-->OS kernel-->audio application-->DAC driver-->DAC-->acoustic transducer

What influence do you claim to impart to the generated sound waves?

It perhaps never occurs to such genius there could exist a signal path:

Server -> Ethernet card -> DAC Ethernet input module (inboard) -> DAC

I believe I was one of the first to post my positive impressions of this device on AS. Uptone Audio will take it back if you don't want to keep it.

My only exposure to your sorority was a brief scan of two threads on the ER (mid-fi garbage in = mid-fi garbage out).

Last edited:

dc655321

Major Contributor
It perhaps never occurs to such genius there could exist a signal path:

Server -> Ethernet card -> DAC Ethernet input module (inboard) -> DAC

What components do you think reside between Ethernet card and DAC, in your model?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
speaking of Tardigrades - they would make a great vector for a human control agent

But, not to digress. Pineapple

Top Bottom