• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Unwittingly and unsurprising they wrote a white paper that defeats their own product:

Low/High impedance leakage currents: Great use WiFi or Optical. Both are faster, less expensive, and offer far more isolation than your 100Mbit only port.

High speed, low jitter clock: Ok then simply use a playback system that takes advantage of as much wire speed as can be provided. In my setup that was a 480MB album all transferred over to my computer using JRiver in less than two seconds. The entire album played with the network cable unplugged.

the eR: $640

My 10GBe setup (server nic, workstation nic, fiber transceivers, Cisco 2360 with 10Gbe) all in was $210 and I was getting 332MB/s on my lowly Celeron 3150 based system.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As someone with both an academic and industry background in networking, I can sympathize with this skepticism. Not that many years ago, I too scoffed at the notion that any part of the chain of digital components upstream of a DAC - not just switches - could have any impact on SQ. It was only when I actually took the plunge and started listening to gear that I realized the upstream chain could profoundly affect - both positively or negatively - the SQ of the system.
I listened as well. Try the test I used:

"Listening Tests
The beautify of how streaming audio works allows us for a very clever AB test. Both the host and client have fair bit of memory that they store Ethernet content into. With audio playback consumer data at a rather low rate, you can actually switch Ethernet cables and be able to play the music uninterrupted!

I connected one wire to Matrix i Ethernet port from my cheap switch, and another to Ether Regen.

I started with my generic switch connection and started to stream some of my reference quality content. While the music was playing, I switched Ethernet cables, this time having Port B of EtherRegen feeding the Matrix i. There was absolutely no audible difference. I then switched back to generic switch feed. No difference. I switched back to EtherRegen. No difference. None. Nothing. :) "

If you can, have someone test you blind 10 times. If you can tell the difference reliably 8 out of 10 times, I will give you a DAC for free!

For now, remember that we didn't just assume it doesn't work. We measured it and proved that it didn't do anything useful than consume power and generate heat. Your brain is wonderful in manufacturing differences that are not there. It is a function of being human. It happens to all of us as well. The difference between us is that we know about this factor and can separate what the sound is doing physically, and what the brain is doing.

HerbertWest

As a practicing network engineer and architect I find people claiming "A background" in any such thing to be dubious at best.

Same here, yet this hilarious thread has reached a high number of pages :)

That said, our background makes us unsuited to answer this point in the review: “All I could conclude was that we were hearing some orthogonal phenomenon - unrelated to the actual digital function of the device - which was not yet understood.”
The problem apparently is orthogonal to the digital domain. We need an audio shaman here.

Networking-wise, even Dante is an “old tech” from early 2000, and yet it achieves hundreds of simultaneous channel. Complexity is on the application/device side, not in L2 network devices forwarding few hundred Mbps of UDP streams reassembled by the end points.

Anyway, I have seen premier network vendors pushing standard features like multicast as “proprietary innovations” to non-network-savy corporate customers in the utility business..

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DownTone is about to release another "product" on the unwary...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Review and Comparison - Reviews - Audiophile Style

And other reviews like that are really wrong???????

X-FILES????

As someone with both an academic and industry background in networking, I can sympathize with this skepticism. Not that many years ago, I too scoffed at the notion that any part of the chain of digital components upstream of a DAC - not just switches - could have any impact on SQ. It was only when I actually took the plunge and started listening to gear that I realized the upstream chain could profoundly affect - both positively or negatively - the SQ of the system. On the networking side, this includes switches, routers, and even Ethernet cables, which I admit I found very disconcerting. I did my own experiments using OS monitoring tools to look for errors, retransmissions, or any other indications of functional misbehavior, and found none. All I could conclude was that we were hearing some orthogonal phenomenon - unrelated to the actual digital function of the device - which was not yet understood.

when you "started listening" did you do a controlled listening test??

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
dunno, but it cannot help SQ...

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is it this time?

AC-REGEN device to de-jitter AC power? Air molecule ISO, to block air molecules from hitting the ear drum and increasing noise floor? Quantum REGEN to eliminate vibration and jitter at the elementary particle level? I dunno. It's going to be exciting, whatever it is.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If a tree falls in a forest and there are no double-blind tests in progress, does it make a sound?

I'm being silly with that, but I think it draws attention to the misunderstanding that people have about perception. Perception takes place in the brain, not the ears or the eyes, and judgements and opinions of that perception are INHERENTLY colored by mental processes. It is impossible to perform objective listening, try as you might. This has been accepted fact in perceptual psychology for over a century. Only properly designed and statistically evaluated blind testing can separate what we actually perceive from opinions about our perception.

If someone will present data from a reasonable sample of listeners showing that they can actually hear when one of these "audiophile ethernet switches" is in use during blind listening tests, then we can say that, yes, it is doing SOMETHING in terms of sound reproduction. Until that data is available, no such claim can be made, and those of us who understand the epistemological underpinnings of science will be free to scoff at reports such as "I heard a difference."

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Unwittingly and unsurprising they wrote a white paper that defeats their own product:

Low/High impedance leakage currents: Great use WiFi or Optical. Both are faster, less expensive, and offer far more isolation than your 100Mbit only port.

High speed, low jitter clock: Ok then simply use a playback system that takes advantage of as much wire speed as can be provided. In my setup that was a 480MB album all transferred over to my computer using JRiver in less than two seconds. The entire album played with the network cable unplugged.

the eR: $640

My 10GBe setup (server nic, workstation nic, fiber transceivers, Cisco 2360 with 10Gbe) all in was $210 and I was getting 332MB/s on my lowly Celeron 3150 based system.
I had to check because I had forgotten: yes, the Uptone does cost $640. All that for doing nothing (if you're lucky!).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AC-REGEN device to de-jitter AC power? Air molecule ISO, to block air molecules from hitting the ear drum and increasing noise floor? Quantum REGEN to eliminate vibration and jitter at the elementary particle level? I dunno. It's going to be exciting, whatever it is.

Funny you should mention quantum stuff. This gem appeared on my youtube feed last night so I watched. The last couple of minutes, apropos of nothing, he chucks in the whole quantum nonsense.
. Its all rather odd.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
or got confused in physics class when studying the curl of EMF

patrickd

Serious NERD TEST by someone far more technical than I. He likes it:

Summary
The UpTone EtherREGEN is one of those rare products that delivers high-end audio performance at an affordable price. Not only does it deliver “surprisingly audible sonic improvements” as claimed, it holds its own against the best-sounding competing products out there, that cost 3x its price or more.

Furthermore, unlike any of its competitors, UpTone have attempted to demystify the technical basis for the product, and are to be commended for that. Whether or not it convinces the skeptics, I for one applaud their transparency in the matter.

For a modest investment, users can start with the sonic benefits out of the box, and extend these benefits further over time with upgrades to the PSU and clock. With this stepwise approach, users can achieve similar absolute performance as the best of the EtherREGEN’s competition.

I don’t use the word “bargain” lightly, but in this case it’s true. The EtherREGEN is one of high-end audio’s bargains. If your audio system uses Ethernet for streaming audio, you owe it to yourself to try the EtherREGEN.

Primary System
  • Music Computer: Custom computer: H370M-ITX/ac, i7-8700T, 8GB Apacer RAM, HDPlex H3 case, 32GB M10 Optane SSD for OS, JCAT Net Card Femto, running Euphony OS with Stylus or Roon+StylusEP music software
  • Music Storage: Synology NAS DS916+ 4-bay, attached to router via Ethernet
  • Headphone Amplifier: Cavalli Liquid Gold
  • Headphones: Sennheiser HD800 (SD Mod), Meze Empyrean, Abyss AB-1266 CC
  • USB Regenerator: SOtM tX-USBultra SE
  • Reference Clock: Mutec Ref 10 10MHz clock driving the tX-USBultra and switch
  • Power supplies: Paul Hynes SR-7 DR (dual regulation) for switch & tX-USBultra, Paul Hynes SR-4 for JCAT Net Card Femto, HDPlex 400W ATX LPS for music computer motherboard
  • Power Details: Dedicated 30A 6 AWG AC circuit, PS Audio P12 PerfectWave Regenerator (under review)
  • Power Cables: PS Audio AC-12 (wall to P12), Cardas Clear Beyond (Cavalli Amp), Cardas Clear for all other components
  • USB cables: Intona Ultimate 0.5m, Intona Reference 0.5m
  • Clock cables: Habst 5N Cryo Pure Silver 50Ω and SOtM dCBL-BNC 75Ω
  • Ethernet cables: SOtM dCBL-Cat7
  • DC cables: Ghent Audio custom OCC JSSG360 ATX and EPS cables, Paul Hynes fine silver (SR-4, SR-7)
  • Interconnects: Cardas Clear XLR balanced
  • Headphone cables: Transparent Ultra cable system, Cardas Clear balanced and SE cables
  • Accessories: Synergistic Research Tranquility Base XL UEF with Galileo MP
Acknowledgments
Many thanks to the following companies for supplying cables and accessories to aid in this evaluation:
  • Cardas Audio, for a full loom of Cardas Clear cables.
  • Transparent Audio, for the Transparent Ultra headphone cable with a full complement of headphones leads and source terminators.
  • Intona EU, for the Reference and Ultimate USB cables.
  • Sonore Audio, for the opticalModule, TP-Link fiber transceivers, and fiber optic cable.
About the Author
Rajiv Arora - a.k.a. @austinpop - is both a computer geek and a lifelong audiophile. He doesn’t work much, but when he does, it’s as a consultant in the computer industry. Having retired from a corporate career as a researcher, technologist and executive, he now combines his passion for music and audio gear with his computer skills and his love of writing to author reviews and articles about high-end audio.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Summary
The UpTone EtherREGEN is one of those rare products that delivers high-end audio performance at an affordable price. Not only does it deliver “surprisingly audible sonic improvements” as claimed, it holds its own against the best-sounding competing products out there, that cost 3x its price or more.

Furthermore, unlike any of its competitors, UpTone have attempted to demystify the technical basis for the product, and are to be commended for that. Whether or not it convinces the skeptics, I for one applaud their transparency in the matter.

For a modest investment, users can start with the sonic benefits out of the box, and extend these benefits further over time with upgrades to the PSU and clock. With this stepwise approach, users can achieve similar absolute performance as the best of the EtherREGEN’s competition.

I don’t use the word “bargain” lightly, but in this case it’s true. The EtherREGEN is one of high-end audio’s bargains. If your audio system uses Ethernet for streaming audio, you owe it to yourself to try the EtherREGEN.

Primary System
  • Music Computer: Custom computer: H370M-ITX/ac, i7-8700T, 8GB Apacer RAM, HDPlex H3 case, 32GB M10 Optane SSD for OS, JCAT Net Card Femto, running Euphony OS with Stylus or Roon+StylusEP music software
  • Power supplies: Paul Hynes SR-7 DR (dual regulation) for switch & tX-USBultra, Paul Hynes SR-4 for JCAT Net Card Femto, HDPlex 400W ATX LPS for music computer motherboard
  • Power Details: Dedicated 30A 6 AWG AC circuit, PS Audio P12 PerfectWave Regenerator (under review)
  • Power Cables: PS Audio AC-12 (wall to P12), Cardas Clear Beyond (Cavalli Amp), Cardas Clear for all other components
  • DC cables: Ghent Audio custom OCC JSSG360 ATX and EPS cables, Paul Hynes fine silver (SR-4, SR-7)
  • Headphone cables: Transparent Ultra cable system, Cardas Clear balanced and SE cables
Acknowledgments
Many thanks to the following companies for supplying cables and accessories to aid in this evaluation:
  • Transparent Audio, for the Transparent Ultra headphone cable with a full complement of headphones leads and source terminators.
  • Sonore Audio, for the opticalModule, TP-Link fiber transceivers, and fiber optic cable.
About the Author
Rajiv Arora - a.k.a. @austinpop - is both a computer geek and a lifelong audiophile. He doesn’t work much, but when he does, it’s as a consultant in the computer industry. Having retired from a corporate career as a researcher, technologist and executive, he now combines his passion for music and audio gear with his computer skills and his love of writing to author reviews and articles about high-end audio.
What's the question?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Summary

Primary System
Acknowledgments
About the Author
Serious nerd test? I see none of these.

Top Bottom