• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Lkdog

Have not read this entire thread. I am guessing it gets ripped a new one here. LOL.
FWIW- I tried one of the these (bought used).

Used it in a simple setup from a modem/router to the EtherRegen to my Bridge II network card in my PS Audio DirectStream DAC (another likely not so well regarded piece of gear from a measurement perspective).
I did use it with a decent Pardot LPS.

I keep an open mind with regard to the technical, and art, and weird synergy of systems and various audiophile gear in general, and the many upgrades/tweaks.

Bottom line is from Duke Ellington 'if it sounds good it IS good".

Bottom line in my setup- no noticeable difference.
Sold it easily.
Many like it and it makes a difference for them.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Very kool, what condition is it in?
Its got a reconditioned engine clutch and diff all with little milage but its been in his garage sitting there for 15 years so who knows . It needs new wheels i know that .

I'm hopeful it will get running OK then its a matter of bracing it a bit and getting it sprayed . Its quite cool looking ..

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Many like it and it makes a difference for them.

Many athletes also wear a silly plastic bracelet with a holographic sticker on it, and it makes a difference for them. Probably just because it makes them give themselves a boost in confidence.

Like you say, the placebo effect IS real. The paradoxical thing about it though is that it only works if you are willing to be fooled.

I guess you can say that there's nothing wrong with spending money on little white lies, if they actually give a result. The problem is that they can only be sold under false pretences, meaning that once you cross the line from charity to a business model, it becomes a scam... no matter what you do.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Its got a reconditioned engine clutch and diff all with little milage but its been in his garage sitting there for 15 years so who knows . It needs new wheels i know that .

I'm hopeful it will get running OK then its a matter of bracing it a bit and getting it sprayed . Its quite cool looking ..
Sounds like it may have good bones, just desiring some TLC. Get some new tires on it, go thru the suspension and steering bits replacing everything using rubber to isolate or dampen, then get a top shelf alignment, that should reveal any remaining issues. After you get the mechcanics up to 100% then worry about putting the shine back on it. ;)
A barrel of fun to drive.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got better things to do with my life than watch that nonsense, especially as there's over 2 hours of it.
There's highly technical info in it though. :p

chris719

What's the TL;DR?

I skimmed it. A lot of techno-babble pretending to be a legit engineering solution. When asked about measurements, said they don't have the time, but are starting to allow an engineer 10-20% of their time to come up with test cases to show how it affects noise at the converter chip itself. I have no doubt they are having trouble finding such pathologically designed equipment and a test setup that will let them show something.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When asked about measurements, said they don't have the time, but are starting to allow an engineer 10-20% of their time to come up with test cases to show how it affects noise at the converter chip itself
Wait, were they not promising measurements any day now 5 years ago, now they haven't even started, I think I'm losing faith that they were serious about this.

chris719

Even if they come up with measurements, it will be some test that is not representative of reality. I'm sure someone could conjure up something to show it has a measureable effect, even if it's completely wrong.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Superdad

@ 39 minutes: No it's not apparent that 1500 sold means it obviously does something. 1500 people believing in Unicorns doesn't make Unicorns real.

@ 40.5 minutes: If John Swenson has a room chock full of measurement gear then why don't we have any published measurements?

@ 41 minutes: Some of do understand Manchester encoding and PAM. Yes and at 10GBe these interfaces are all incredibly tight jitter tolerance. Tolerances that you can't even come close to with your $640 box.

@ 44 minutes: As long as the the next hop can recover the data we are only concerned with the duration. 24/192 or DSD 128/256 has an incredibly short wire time. Fractions of a second.

@ 46 minutes: Signal integrity will degrade over the 328 foot distance, most PHY's are good for 380 feet. Most home installs probably deal in the 45-60 maximum foot range.

@ 47.5 minutes: Who cares if a bit of ground plane noise introduces some clock float. These Eye Pattern requirements have +/- threshold.

@ 49 minutes: If you have all these changes of current demand then why can't you put a test signal into a DAC, use common tools to generate all sorts of system load on various sub systems and show it in the DAC output! I invite you to blind test this on a system where I use iPerf to generate traffic while you listen.

@ 55 minutes. USB 2.0 is not faster than 1GBe Ethernet. As a matter of fact it's 50% of the speed.

@ 57 minutes: Where is John taking this leakage current measurement?

@ 101 minutes: I can stop leakage current with optical or wireless Ethernet. I did 10GBe fiber, that's switch, SFP+ LC SR modules, and network cards for $210, 33% of the cost of your eR and I get 3000% the throughput and 100% electrical isolation and tighter Jitter tolerances. Again where are the leakage current's measured?

@ 104 minutes: "I can show you graphs" please do and while you are at it show this at the output of the DAC.

@ 115 minutes: Why don't we just ground strap a power supply if this is all it takes to shunt that noise away from the powered device?

Top Bottom