• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this. That’s the sort of answer I was looking for. I agree re speakers. I did spend a long time searching for my ultimate speakers and eventually found them. And I can't treat the room further, which is the other major factor in improving SQ. So for people like me, who want the best SQ, all we can do is tweak the edges.

Well if you've gone as far as you can go but still want to tinker with oddball stuff for sheer entertainment that's fine. I don't think many would take issue with that.

What I don't like is that the people who are on a budget and trying to get the best possible outcome for the least possible spend - and this is the vast majority of people - are maybe being taken up the garden path with some of the products around these days. 'Keep your crappy speakers but spend £500 on a magic box of tricks or a cable'. It's just not good advice.

In my day we only had the magazines and the dealers. So we were effectively just listening to the marketing department and the salesman for advice. That wasn't saving any of us any money.

At least now with forums like this the customer can educate himself - if he so chooses. If not, then that's up to him.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let me apply another instrument to measure a specific feature that's part of this product and other products like it.

First, we set our measurement parameters.

1. Company makes claims about reducing noise and DAC jitter
2. Company provides no objective data to back up a technical engineering claim

-OK, I'll flip the switch here

Bullshit-detector.jpg

Well, looks like we've pegged the meter... hope I didn't burn it out....

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am fairly new to ASR. I don’t understand this thread. 59 pages about a switch. What I fail to understand is why are you all so interested to spend so much of your valuable time on this?
Well, every few weeks someone like you revives this thread, thinking they have something new to say to counter the solid, reliable information that this device doesn't do anything. So the result is more pages are created as you just did. In that sense, I am not sure why you are pointing the arrow at us when it is pointing at you.

What is remarkable that despite you repeating the most often stated talking point of your camp, you somehow think the rest of us have never heard it. "Oh measurements don't explain what I hear." No they don't. But you not knowing how your perception/brain work, very well do. Good news is that I now have a video so I don't to type a bunch of text to explain all this. :)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found the missing ingredient to get blown away with the EtherRegen switch. It seems you need this Clock. :rolleyes:

Would love to hear from anyone that has added a master clock to their UpTone Audio EtherREGEN?
I wanted to start a thread and get some of your feedback. It is truly a system changing upgrade!

Full Disclosure: I own CTronic Music Boston - Distributor for AfterDark.

I started this company after I purchased an AfterDark Queen Master Clock and hooked it to my EtherREGEN and it blew me away! Right off my listening chair. I mean I was absolutely amazed! Every single customer has been absolutely blown away and I wanted to hear from other folks. Maybe using another brand or have tried it and I want to hear from them. Stereotimes has just finished a professional review and he was blown away. The reviewer was so impressed he has bought much more gear from me. I am hoping to hear from others.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...er-clock-to-uptone-etherregen-yet-it-s-insane

Last edited:

Soikki

I found the missing ingredient to get blown away with the EtherRegen switch. It seems you need this Clock.

Would love to hear from anyone that has added a master clock to their UpTone Audio EtherREGEN?
I wanted to start a thread and get some of your feedback. It is truly a system changing upgrade!

Full Disclosure: I own CTronic Music Boston - Distributor for AfterDark.

I started this company after I purchased an AfterDark Queen Master Clock and hooked it to my EtherREGEN and it blew me away! Right off my listening chair. I mean I was absolutely amazed! Every single customer has been absolutely blown away and I wanted to hear from other folks. Maybe using another brand or have tried it and I want to hear from them. Stereotimes has just finished a professional review and he was blown away. The reviewer was so impressed he has bought much more gear from me. I am hoping to hear from others.

I made a longish test of etherregen and an external master clock. After five days of tests, I ended up hearing no difference. With or without external clock. I also had the pleasure of having a pricey Farad power supply for Etherregen, and a "thumb thick" ethernet cable.

You can read my review in Finnish at https://diabolusinhifi.com/2021/01/25/onko-ethernetkytkimilla-aanenlaadun-suhteen-valia/ maybe Google can translate it adequate.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need to put the clock really far away and use an expensive word clock cable.

BTW, adding or subtracting any component is "a system changing upgrade"

sq225917

Major Contributor
That bell end on audiogon from the importer, doesn't even know his dac is is async.... 5he mind boggles.

Andyg400

I am not sure if this has already been posted ... a deep discussion on switches, unfortunately they did not have an Etherregen to hand, just other more expensive switches.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not excited enough to watch a video, nor is it a good way to lay out the methodology for examination. But, I do see that some cables cross each other, causing the complex magnetic fields to swirl about and alter the phlogiston flow vectors.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am not sure if this has already been posted ... a deep discussion on switches, unfortunately they did not have an Etherregen to hand, just other more expensive switches.

Wasn't posted before. I watched and unfortunately it is a bunch of sighted listening tests which has nothing of value to us here. Impressive production qualities though with multiple cameras, fancy switching of the gear, etc. I wish they would put that to use in a simple blind test. Run it 10 times and see if they can identify the generic from audiophile switch. If you can, please put this in their comments and see if they respond.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This type of 'comparison' about asynch playback systems with non-audio transit devices crack me up. So what I've done is download the video stream, extract the audio track, and will then edit it in audacity and create a mix track that no one other than myself will know which snippet is which. I'll post an encrypted zip file for download with the answer key and give that out later after people have responded with their guesses.

This way it can be properly blinded.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dumped the audio track into audacity but the issue is: These tracks are effectively watermarked by the two of them talking while tracks are playing so I can't effectively blind for it.

I'm still going to post the tracks but I can't de-bias them for this reason.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I posted the following comment on their YouTube "test"

"I don't see any data. All your tests sound just like my computer speakers. Without objective data this is not a test. Why don't you run multiple blind A/B/X listening tests, I would like to see you statistically prove you can hear ANY differences between these switches and a generic switch. Without a way to eliminate placebo and bias effects, there's no way to show that these expensive products have any REAL effect other than to enrich their manufacturers and retailers. "

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
French blogger Jipi Horn (one of the most famous objectivist here in France) just published a video to analyse and refute the ridiculous claims made by UpTone Audio, then spread by reviewers
With mention to @amirm review at 37:00.

Unfortunately, it is obviously in... French.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet it's possible to make a DAC so badly designed that this things helps it.

Top Bottom