• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

elberoth

A friend of mine swears by EtherRegen. He first borrowed one from his friend to try, so made a decision based on the performance gains he saw in his system (he wouldn't have bought it, if there haven't been any).

He has dCS Rossini, D'agostino Progression monos and some super expensive Dynaudios, so a pretty revealing system.

I'm looking forward to try one in my system.

As always, YMMV.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend of mine swears by EtherRegen. He first borrowed one from his friend to try, so made a decision based on the performance gains he saw in his system (he wouldn't have bought it, if there haven't been any).

He has dCS Rossini, D'agostino Progression monos and some super expensive Dynaudios, so a pretty revealing system.

As always, YMMV.

Let me know when your friend wants to take sighted bias out of the equation. People are attributing real time attributes to decidedly non-realtime systems.

I believe people when they say they think they hear a difference. I also believe I can make that difference disappear.

I know this is redundant: When you have a delivery system capable of transferring, say a 10 minute track, in just a second on GBe, what does the frikking switch do for the next 559 seconds? Christ, people can't be this stupid.

Last edited:

nugget

Forum Donor
When you have a delivery system capable of transferring, say a 10 minute track, in just a second on GBe, what does the frikking switch do for the next 559 seconds?

Well since the EtherRegen also cripples your connection down to 100mbit, your system does end up spending a *bit* more time on that data transfer than if you were using a modern gigabit switch.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well since the EtherRegen also cripples your connection down to 100mbit, your system does end up spending a *bit* more time on that data transfer than if you were using a modern gigabit switch.

I've certainly made that point before. The best given how tightly engineered they are, is the fastest connection you can utilize.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
You are disgusting and Amir should fire you as "moderator." People are dying and all you can think of is to make up sick bullshit barbs? Crawl back in your hole.

@Superdad

You are of course right. Conning and ripping people off with a product that doesnt do what is claimed, as you indeed do, is not as bad or serious in any way like the corona virus. However I suggest its really not a a good look for you to try and take the morel high ground.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

As always, YMMV.

As always, sighted listening by audiophiles leads to erroneous conclusions.

Also, if his system is so high end, why is his DAC being affected by this sort of stuff? Whats wrong with it? Why cant it reject problems that $100 dacs can? ;)

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because $10,000 DACs are crippled just as much as $10,000 pre-amps are.

I mean - hey - look at the inferior power cords on the things

Oldbigears

I'm sorry if it was distasteful, a moment of poor judgement perhaps , maybe a half second. The rest of my day I spent earning a honest living ( as iv done since I was 17) .

I guess we all have moments, I'd not get too self-righteous if I were you. You make a living from a business that by my measure is of dubious merit at best and imo ( and plenty of others ) takes advantage of people and rips them off , that takes a lot more that just a momentary laps of judgement.

As for getting ' sacked ' I'm all for new experiences, I'm just about to start a 12 week enforced holiday from work with no income support and a few dependants .

Still a sense of humour helps in dark times .

You never know, it could be longer. You're probably correct that you need a bit of a break to reflect. Alex and John won't seem so important in a few weeks. Best of luck to you and your family.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I found most surprising is Alex's willingness to ding other manufacturer's product all the while never posting what they used to validate alpha/beta/release designs against.

Couple that with Alex telling people they are imagining detrimental sound quality due to a firmware update. Either everything matters or not. There's no such thing as a bit pregnant.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have to admit that their advert use of the term "moat" is brilliant tho.

salk81

Your observations and tests are keenly noted; however before I subscribe to them I will definitely do an A-B comparison. I will tell you this, however, that I got an Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply for my Roon Nucleus+ and the upgrade definitely made a difference. The same power supply also supplies power to the AudioVox SE which switch, again, in my opinion resulted in a noticeable performance improvement. I have ordered the Ether Regen switch and I am waiting to see how that performs. I can't degree/disagree with your findings until such time I do my own listening. If it does not make a difference, they will definitely take it back. What I will definitely disagree with you on, is your assertion that they do not understand the basic principles of audio. I have spoken to the owner on a number of occasions and I find him to be very knowledgeable, on the ball, and I do think he knows what he is doing. Secondly, one of the most respected names in audio products evaluation, Hans Beekhuyzen gave an extremely positive view of this device. I follow his YouTube videos keenly, and I always find them to be very informative and enhance my learning. I am not sure if you know that he does not accept any ads so this guy cannot be bought to write a positive review for a manufacturer

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious what performance improvement did the new power supply make for the Nucleus?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have spoken to the owner on a number of occasions and I find him to be very knowledgeable,

You have a background in network switching?
Just wondering what your standard of reference was to evaluate his level of knowledge...

I hope you do your comparisons with some standard listening controls...unlike pretty much everyone who claims to hear differences.

I assume the clear differences you refer to in your post were heard during sighted listening sessions?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your observations and tests are keenly noted; however before I subscribe to them I will definitely do an A-B comparison. I will tell you this, however, that I got an Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply for my Roon Nucleus+ and the upgrade definitely made a difference. The same power supply also supplies power to the AudioVox SE which switch, again, in my opinion resulted in a noticeable performance improvement. I have ordered the Ether Regen switch and I am waiting to see how that performs. I can't degree/disagree with your findings until such time I do my own listening. If it does not make a difference, they will definitely take it back. What I will definitely disagree with you on, is your assertion that they do not understand the basic principles of audio. I have spoken to the owner on a number of occasions and I find him to be very knowledgeable, on the ball, and I do think he knows what he is doing. Secondly, one of the most respected names in audio products evaluation, Hans Beekhuyzen gave an extremely positive view of this device. I follow his YouTube videos keenly, and I always find them to be very informative and enhance my learning. I am not sure if you know that he does not accept any ads so this guy cannot be bought to write a positive review for a manufacturer
Uh, Huh!

You might want a new source for your learning enhancement. Mr. Beekhuyzen isn't one of your top sources.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hans Beekhuyzen is "one of the most respected names in audio products evaluation" by those who hear the enhanced SQ of the UpStoned EtherDeGen.

Seriously, he simply doesn't understand what he is talking about.

salk81

Hans Beekhuyzen is "one of the most respected names in audio products evaluation" by those who hear the enhanced SQ of the UpStoned EtherDeGen.

Seriously, he simply doesn't understand what he is talking about.
Apparently neither do you

Top Bottom