• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
32 tone test? THD x frequency?
I can't do any sweeps since this is a networked device and my analyzer can't control it. I can run the 32 tone test though. Will do after dinner. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You need to let it burn-in for 300 hours. Apparently then it'll start to really bloom :)
Previous owner had used it for a while so I am assuming it is burned in. :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I know that Europe is very stringent on CE certifications so how is this even sold there?

The CE certification is administered by the manufacturer. There is no third party involved. Its validity is only checked if there's probable cause. Basically a useless certification. Or so I've been told...

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There you go right there. You haven't let it burn in properly. Is the firmware updatable on this and did you burn that in? Hopefully it doesn't burn out before it burns in.
There was already some update that John S came out with. it sounded better but he has no idea why. I do. Cuz he has no clue on what just happened based on measurements! Oh wait. It doesn't do anything as shown above.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57809-etherregen-all-posts-about-firmware-moved-here/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Need some opinions here. Which of these logos are most fitting for a reviewed product like this. I'd lean toward both.

1575507942249.png

1575507956446.png

nintendoeats

There was already some update that John S came out with. it sounded better but he has no idea why. I do. Cuz he has no clue on what just happened based on measurements! Oh wait. It doesn't do anything as shown above.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57809-etherregen-all-posts-about-firmware-moved-here/

While most have enjoyed the new firmware or reported not noticing much difference, a very few of the many people who applied the update have expressed that they do not enjoy the EtherREGEN quite as much with the new firmware. However, they are relying exclusively on their last memory of the SQ before applying the update (which for most people required a break of about 20~30 minutes), as they are not able to reload the original code. Aural memory in this realm is a very tricky thing, and while I am by no means a dogmatic blind-A/B/X proponent, I have for decades collaborated on design decisions using sighted A/B/A/B/A testing.

I would venture a guess that he is not saying this when users report that the switch improves audio quality. If a user says "using this expensive switch added lots of bass and soul to my music", that assessment is based on aural memory. It must therefore be just as questionable as the claim that updating the firmware reduced the audio quality. He has just invalidated his only results-based argument for his product, quod erat demonstrandum.

Lets split the difference between blind ABX and sighted ABABAB, and just do some blind ABABABAB. Ask what people like better, with no opportunity for aural memory to get in the way.

Duckeenie

Given that tcp/ip has error checking built in to every packet this was never going to be anything other than a fraudulent device.

It would be sad if they're are selling as well as their homepage would have you believe.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be sad if they're are selling as well as their homepage would have you believe.
Whelp, be sad b/c I don't doubt that they are.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Unfortunately, I think they are. The hilarious part is all the comments pitying the ASR unbelievers by those who bought into the fairytale and are hearing amazing improvements. "Lack of intellectual curiosity" according to @Superdad is dominating ASR :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you speak more about what the law really is? How does this get ignored? I know that Europe is very stringent on CE certifications so how is this even sold there?
Oh, it is a hard requirement covered under 47 U.S. Code § 302a. Devices which interfere with radio reception
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/302a

1575508462350.png

Devices covered are anything that has radiations above 9 kHz: https://transition.fcc.gov/bureaus/oet/info/documents/bulletins/oet62/oet62rev.pdf

1575508538317.png

1575508569554.png

You can get fined thousands of dollars per device. I have never worked for a company that dared to ship products without FCC/CE certification.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You have people using media converters.
Well, if you put the converter on the path to DAC, then it is defeating anything Ether Regen may be doing. I am assuming then that is a way to feed the EtherRegen in which case, it doesn't do anything useful even according to them.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WOW! :oops:

Guess @Superdad doesn't mind breaking the law either? If what @amirm posted above is indeed accurate, that's a whole bunch of money based on 750 units so far.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 8.27.02 PM.png

Last edited:

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice review of the new Matrix i streamer! :p

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So that is $320,000 in sales in one hour. Add another $160k for the 250 since then. Nearing a half million just like that.
yep. The other products were just as successful financially which I'm totally good with. No problem making money and a lot of it...that's the whole purpose IMO as a capitalist. However, the end operational result of the device isn't.

Top Bottom