• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UPnP/DLNA server (Linux) and Player (Android) with full tag support ?

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You missed the control point which also has a part to play.
Hi,

Absolutely agree.

Using the exact same server software (Emby) I can play files gapless with Foobar installed on my Android DAP or Phone. .
I can't do that with ANY other player installed on the phone : BubbleUPnP, HiFi-Cas, mConnect, media Monkey...

So I guess the key here is the player more than the server.

Regards.

F

freemansteve

The control point is basically a setup-up tool - it shouldn't affect what in in the file content, should it?
As said, the playback engine is the main thing....

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
'Player' is a
The control point is basically a setup-up tool - it shouldn't affect what in in the file content, should it?
As said, the playback engine is the main thing....
It doesn't affect the content itself, but can affect whether the renderer knows about the next track before the current one has finished, which it needs to in order to avoid there being a gap between them. See the link in post #7 where a control point author explains the details.

F

freemansteve

But if you cue up all the tracks you want to hear in the right order it should work if the renderer is any good, there is no transcoding, and the rips are good. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but if you play two gapless tracks that are not queued, one after the other, or if you have the tracks out of order in a queue and jump between tracks, I expect the gapless feature may not work?

Maybe I just don't get the OPs physical/logical setup?....

In my case, I play music from 2 servers on different devices (PC w/ UMS and a NAS/RAID with built-in DLNA) to various playback devices around the house (Evo 75, phone, 3 tablets and a TV) and use control apps (Foobar2K controller, StreamMagic, Web browser) that also run on various devices. Gapless works fine in all cases. The only thing I regularly use that doesn't do gapless is VLC (I like it for videos though)....

Perhaps I'll just re-acknowledge that some other setups can't do gapless, and leave the thread!

Top Bottom