• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading

jtavy

I am upgrading my entire system and have set up 2 headphone stations using Project S2 DACs/ and a Schiit Magni+ in my wife's main TV/computer room; and an all Schiit system with a Heretic DAC and a Modi+ which is bedside for sleepless nights. I just ordered an Asgard headphone amp for my main system and will mate that with a Aegir amp in about a week.

What brought all this about was a "pedestrian" receiver, I will not name, was really bothering me about feeling like something was wrong. A friend was looking to get into vinyl and did not know what to buy, so on a lark I bought an Audio Technica LPW30TK turntable that comes with a nice AT VM-95C cart for a total of $212 off Amazon. I wanted to see what $200 in a TT could buy. I used the receiver's phono stage and thought this can't be sounding right and was about to blame the turntable. I have my old Shure Test LPs and pulled out TTR-103 that starts with left and right channel bands of 1khz and 10khz at 5cm/sec which any cart should be able to track.

I recorded those tones into one of my Tascam SDHC card recorders at 2496, uploaded then into my compuuter, and then viewed the files in my DAW's FFT display. Through the receiver's phono stage you could see the 1khz tone, but the 10khz tone was totally missing from the display and not being passed by the receiver's phono stage at all. Very bad.

In another system I use a 2 box Vincent phono stage which is my main TT set up and it played both tones perfectly as shown on the FFT display. That table is an old Dual 502 ( I like the high torque AC motor) with a Rega RB 250 arm installed. I had purchased an AT-VM95E cart when they first came out to see what all the buzz was about. It sounds great and played the tones fine. On the test LP is a track with a long 1khz tone and it plays back at 1004-1006 hz on the Dual. The AT LPW30TK plays the 1khz tone at 996-998. For a $200 table I was impressed. I now have a Shure M97 HE on the AT table, but the AT VM 95C sounded fine.

My son had a ART DJ Pre II which I borrowed and used with the AT table. This is a $65 preamp!!!! It played both of the tones just like the Vincent pair did and they sound very similar in quality that I was shocked. I spent over 5 times that on the Vincent on a closeout sale. I like it when these kinds of things happen. It allows everyone to join in the hifi game for little money.

So, the receiver is on the living room floor about to be sold for a few bucks and the new main system will be the Asgard headphone/preamp station and then the Aegir Class A amp will drive some JBL 3-way monitors to what will be new heights for my audio enjoyment. I am just using a passive switch box for changing sources, No tone controls.

I listen on headphones about 75% of the time and rotate between my AKG K701's, my 2 pair of K271's, my 2 pair of Beyer DT 770's (high and low ohm), and a pair of AT-ATH 50X's. I gave to pair of Sony 7506's to my son to use in their audio room at church for FOH work. I had also given an old pair of Grado 80's to a friend who had none. I am thinking about adding a pair of Grado 325's or a pair of AKG models up from my K701s.

I do location recording and I find that headphone mastering is better for me now that I am 75.

GM3

Is there a question? I take it you want to upgrade your headphones, budget? What are you looking for in terms of headphones? What do you plan/expect to improve, what do you want, like, dislike, etc. about your current headphones?

I would steer away from Grado, see Why the hate for Grado? thread. But, having recently re-listened to my SR80s, with upgraded pads and headband, they're really not awful when EQ'd. Light, comfy, sound quality is decent enough when you EQ away its bright/horrible sound signature... And although I like AKG, didn't see any upgrade path for me as upgrade from HFM 400i. Hopefully 325 would be better, but no more Grado for me!

I own the AKG Q701 which are by some accounts the same or very similar to the K701. Love'em. My search for an upgrade had led me to the Hifiman Edition XS, which by some reports (yt reviews), and I quote, half mockingly, the "best 500$ headphone". Availability/price was bit of an issue as Canada's pricing isn't great.

The Ollo S5X was then recommended to me, and I pretty much settled on buying these instead; being that I was looking for an headphone which does not require EQ to sound good. You can read about it in the last few pages of the HFM Edition XS.

Recently, saw this review about the Thieaudio Ghost, and it does seem like an excellent purchase. But that's one review, so who knows, for the price though, looks very interesting. Hell, might keep an eye out for reviews & measurements, maybe pickup a pair; might be cool to have as an an alternative to a more neutral/exposing headphones like Ollo S5X. Review here.. Yeah, very positive reviews.

BUT... Just remembered... The Sennheiser 650 (~6xx) is idolized & has a cult-like following, and I think has similar 'relaxed' sound, anyway, reminiscent to me of this new Ghost headphone... The 650 became to me the most disappointing headphone I've ever heard when I first heard them; sounded so dark, lacked detail/resolution. So YMMV, but yeah, if that's what you're after, the Sennheiser 6xx at ~$200 will be super comfortable, 'easy to listen to' whatever that means (IMHO, way too 'dark' sounding; bassy; mids/highs waaay too recessed) and according to some reports quite detailed/resolving, though that was not my experience. For $200, classic recommendation.

But yeah read a bit more about the Ghost, seems more neutral/balanced than 6xx, $130 sounds like a great deal. Hopefully review on ASR soon! :D

Last edited:
OP
J

jtavy

The problem for me is my age of 75 and high frequency loss, so I must take that into account. There are probably no headphones that might be bright sounding to many younger folks that might be fine for me. I owned the Grado 80s and put the large pads on them and did like them. I gifted those to a friend. I have always thought the consensus on the non-wood Grados they might be a tad bright, but then the open part may bothersome.

Back in my early life high end cans were the electrostatics and not many were willing to go that route. It seems funny now to think that the Koss Pro 4AAA's were "high end". I have liked all of my AKGs and may look around at more reviews My limit is $500 which really precludes my looking at some great new cans on the market.

I have never been a fan of the Sennheiser cans, probably due to my hearing loss.

Thanks for the links.

Top Bottom