• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading TV - AVR - Subs and more

Dal1as

In the process of modernizing and remodeling the house. Have so many projects starting and done so much research my brain is mush. Figured I'd pause and reach out to others who have experience in a few dilemmas I have.

1st some info on the room. 22 × 17 foot room with a decent 7.1 system which is now 7.2

I got a Denon 6700h and 2 Monolith 15s on sale and am playing around with REW EQ and all that. Using Aura 2d for music and dolby for movies. It is still a basic 7.2 system though.

1. Height speakers? The room is now temporary and not really conducive for atmos or rear height speakers but I am able to mount decent front height speakers. Would it be worth it using the 6700 in a 7.2.2 setup using Aura 3d and whatever movie mode? Would the 6700 take advantage of the front height speakers for music and movies at all times?

2. OLED or LED and which one. Not audio but I'm sure I can get some good input. Current display is a 73 inch LCD 1080P so figured I'd upgrade to 4k and bigger. It will be used in the current room anyway after the renovation. I don't want to go sideways so am wondering if OLED is worth the extra money and is the Sony a90j 83 inch a good choice as they have dropped in price.

3. Ultra blue ray player? Guessing either the Sony or Panasonic would be fine. Any reason to research this further? I was researching dolby vision and hdr10 and all that and my brain went into limp mode.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Would the 6700 take advantage of the front height speakers for music and movies at all times?
No. Only when you have source formats that the X6700 can mix such that it uses the height channels. So Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos Music ... I think there are some others as well. But for other formats it won't try to upmix to use the height speakers.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
In the process of modernizing and remodeling the house.
Of course, run the speaker wires inside the walls. And run extra wires if there is any possibility of more channels in the future.

And if it was me, I'd probably "compromise" on the sound and mount some of the "less-important" speakers in the ceiling & walls. As long as the speakers aren't terrible, at some point the direction of the surround sources seems more important than the quality, as long as you have great quality coming from the front and the sub(s).

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Of course, run the speaker wires inside the walls. And run extra wires if there is any possibility of more channels in the future.

And if it was me, I'd probably "compromise" on the sound and mount some of the "less-important" speakers in the ceiling & walls. As long as the speakers aren't terrible, at some point the direction of the surround sources seems more important than the quality, as long as you have great quality coming from the front and the sub(s).
One more quick tip. I found out the hard way. Try and place your subs during renovation so you can add a wall outlet or two if needed. Extension cords are very unsightly. :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
My experience in the video department tells me that unless you have a vampire-killer room due to light, go OLED. If you can control the light in the room with courtains, blinds or any other method, OLED is the way to go.

OP
D

Dal1as

Wow. Forgot I made this thread. The Sony is incredible. Been busy so currently just running a 7 channel system with 2 Monolith 15s.

I relocated the side and rear surrounds to spec and am now installing 4 atmos/heights and 1 more sub. Wire is run but need to move my avr and equipment out of a corner wall rack I created years ago so I can relocate 1 of the subs.

I also have some more sound panels to put up.

Been a lot of work and need to post pics.

Man are those subs heavy.

Top Bottom