• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading to Revel F226Be + C426Be from the JBL HDI series

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
As the title says: I wanted to "treat" myself with an upgrade to my current setup thanks to the extremely unexpected success of the amp business I started.

My current setup has been the same for a year: JBI HDI for the LCR, Revel in walls and in ceilings or surround+Atmos, Funk Audio 21, HTP-1 processor, and room treatments. The surround+ Atmos speakers are not going to be changed and the Funk is staying (hell of a subwoofer). I have no more room for treatments. And the current TV (LG 75" OLED C9) is staying until either reviews of the new OLED's show noticeable HDR highlight improvement or MicroLED finally makes it mainstream.

So the two choices for treating myself is upgrading the HTP-1 to a step up, which would probably be the Lyngdorf MP-40 to see just how good Room Perfect is over Dirac or stepping up my LCR. I decided to look at changing out the LCR as I know the consensus always is "Room EQ should be the last thing on the list).

The question: are the Revel PerformaBe's a step up from the JBL HDI's? I know they are two drastic approaches to sound (dome vs. compression). My usage is mostly HT with some 2.1 channel listening. The only negative I can say about the HDI's is what Amir noted in his listening impression that there is definitely a sweet spot to the HDI's which wasn't an issue until recently when I've been sitting in wider seating in my room outside of the MLP.

I am hoping to get a sound that has a little more 3D/natural feel and sound to it (the JBL's, noting that tight sweet spot, still present themselves as speakers when listening and don't "fall away" into the soundstage during a movie). But I also don't want to sacrifice dynamics.

Thoughts? Input?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The price to get the Revel setup actually won't be too bad for me. The dealer I am working with is actually going to take my HDIs from me and knock the overall price down so out of pocket cost for the whole switch is just slightly higher than than $5k.

I suppose the 3D comment was too audiophile, and not what I intended.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Go for F228Be ;)
From my understanding the 226 and 228 are identical (waveguide generation, crossover design, etc) except for the low end differences of the woofers. The price increase doesn't seem necessary for mainly HT usage with with subwoofer then I would suspect?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From my understanding the 226 and 228 are identical (waveguide generation, crossover design, etc) except for the low end differences of the woofers. The price increase doesn't seem necessary for mainly HT usage with with subwoofer then I would suspect?
I just like the 8” better. Better to have and not need than need and not have..

One day you might be in a bigger space?

Top Bottom