• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading to Atom stack

sharock

For my desktop setup I'm currently using a Xonar Essence STX v1 > analog out > Audio-GD FUN > HD650/D7000 + Equalizer APO.

Would spending £260 (best UK price) to replace this arrangement an Atom stack be worth it? I understand the Xonar DAC and Audio-GD amp probably aren't objectively good, but would there actually be a discernible audible difference when listening?

In the future I might look at a pair of planars too so need to factor that in.

Cheers!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I doubt you would have a noticeable difference using the Atom stack, over your current hardware.
But unless you need the features of the STX card, might consider replacing the STX/fun with a new Audio-GD NFB-11.28.
The 300-Ohm HD650 is something you want to throw voltage at.
But you you just replaced the STX/Fun with an Atom stack, not no going to hurt anything.

weasels

I agree that you may not be able to hear a difference, but one advantage to an atom stack is that your headphone setup isn't tied to your PC hardware. Depending on your needs (e.g. if you have multiple PCs or are looking to upgrade soon) that may or may not be a meaningful advantage.

OP
S

sharock

But you you just replaced the STX/Fun with an Atom stack, not no going to hurt anything.

I think I've been reading so much on ASR about how bad Audio-GD are that it's making me believe there is something to be gained by "upgrading"!:D

I agree that you may not be able to hear a difference, but one advantage to an atom stack is that your headphone setup isn't tied to your PC hardware. Depending on your needs (e.g. if you have multiple PCs or are looking to upgrade soon) that may or may not be a meaningful advantage.

The FUN is a DAC/amp so I can take it elsewhere if needed. Not sure why I was running them connected when I could just use USB to the FUN. The Atom stack would have a much lower footprint on my desk so that's something.

Perhaps I'd do better to keep the £260 and save a bit more for more headphones. I'm really itching for a Dan Clark Audio offering or Focal Clear.

OP
S

sharock

Well, I decided to buy the Atom stack for home. The Audio-GD will replace the motherboard soundcard on my **** Dell workstation at the office. Surely it can't measure worse than some internal Realtek?!:)

Top Bottom