• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading Speakers / From Klipsch RP600M to?

shoopdawhoop26

Hello guys,

a few months ago i bought some klipsch rp600m and a cambridge audio cxa81 amplifier.

i was happy at the beginning but soon i didnt enjoy them quite much becuase at louder listening levels they came over too bright for my ear.

After reading some reviews in this forum about this speaker i came to the conclusion that im not the only one.

I was looking for new ones, where i dont have to necessarily sell my amplifier.

Im recently building the DIY Ultimax 12" Subwoofer from partsexpress and will also buy a minidsp with a microphone in the near future.

So should i just try to EQ this speaker and give it another try? Or sell them and buy other ones?

Since i dont have much money i was looking for anything between the 1000€ - 2000€ price ranche, used speakers would also be an option for me.

My room is about 25m².

I generally listen to all types of music. A lot of oldies (pink floyd, dire straits, .. ), but also "newer" stuff like techno, trance and or psytrance, ambient, chillout, hip hop.

tjkadar

Try the EQ first. It is free after all! If it is still not to your liking, sell them and try something else.

Also, this would be a great time to get some data on your room response which you can compare with the next set of speakers you get.

OP
S

shoopdawhoop26

Try the EQ first. It is free after all! If it is still not to your liking, sell them and try something else.

Also, this would be a great time to get some data on your room response which you can compare with the next set of speakers you get.

Would the minidsp 2x4HD a good option here? Since i also need it to align my tops with my sub

tjkadar

That is what I started with and it worked fine. Later, I updated that with Dirac and then finally moved to a SHD. I think you're on the right track.

OP
S

shoopdawhoop26

That is what I started with and it worked fine. Later, I updated that with Dirac and then finally moved to a SHD. I think you're on the right track.

Ok another question.

Since the Cambridge Audio CXA81 has already an built in DAC ( thats quite good from what i heard ) wouldnt it be better to just go for the miniDSP 2x4 instead of the 2x4HD?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Since the Cambridge Audio CXA81 has already an built in DAC ( thats quite good from what i heard ) wouldnt it be better to just go for the miniDSP 2x4 instead of the 2x4HD?

I think the 2x4HD is a little more capable. I have one, but used only for subs, via its ADC and DAC.

If you go DAC to 2x4 you'll still be using the DAC in the 2x4 after the signal passes through its ADC. It has no digital inputs.

If you go digital to the 2x4HD you can skip the ADC with its digital inputs and go through the filter processing to its DAC.

I don't know how their measurements compare.

1610069491831.png

Last edited:
OP
S

shoopdawhoop26

I think the 2x4HD is a little more capable. I have one, but used only for subs, via its ADC and DAC.

If you go DAC to 2x4 you'll still be using the DAC in the 2x4 after the signal passes through its ADC. It has no digital inputs.

If you go digital to the 2x4HD you can skip the ADC with its digital inputs and go through the filter processing to its DAC.

I don't know how their measurements compare.

Yeah i watched a video on the minidsp right now.
And basically he said if you want to EQ your Sub and your Mains you would need a pre out + main in on your amplifier. And mine only has pre out. So from my understanding with this amplifier i could only eq the subs. Am i wrong here? Since its an integrated amplifier.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My mistake.

I didn't realize the Cambridge is a daclifier.

My brain always thinks separates.

You could:

Digital to 2x4HD
Outputs 1 and 2 to the Cambridge analog inputs
Outputs 3 or 3 and 4 to sub/subs.

I'll be quiet now.

Top Bottom