• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading speaker system, physical output switch

brainaneurysm

Hi, I've been looking at upgrading my speakers that I use on my desktop for listening to music, here is my current setup.

DAC/AMP - Topping VX1
Passive Speakers: Voll B44/Micca MB42x
Headphones: AKG K712

The most important thing I want in my setup is a physical switch that can change between outputs from headphones to speakers. However, I'm not sure if my current AMP has enough power for better passive speakers, and I don't think it has line out for active speakers either.

So I need recommendations on a new DAC/AMP setup that would allow me to switch between outputs on the fly and control the volume of both from the same volume knob.
So far I've found the:
JDS Labs Element II+ combined with a new pair of active speakers, however the switch being on the back is a no and it's out of my budget
I found the SMSL T1 as well, which seems almost perfect, has the physical switch on the front as well as line outs, but doesn't seem like it's being sold anywhere in Australia.

As for speakers, I've been looking at: ELAC Debut 5.2, JBL A130, Klipsch R-51M. These are all at the top end of my budget, so any suggestions cheaper than this would be really great

What recommendations for new speakers that would work with the current setup or new DAC and AMP setup do you guys have that allow me to switch on the fly? Hopefully around 300-400 aud for the speakers

Thanks everyone :)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$400 Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 and $600 Elac DBR62 are both great for the price.

Maybe a stereo receover with a DAC, HPA, and A/B/A+B speaker selector and outputs... or use your DAC with one. Onkyo TX8220 or similar.

Top Bottom