• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading my 20 year old B&KAvR 507... need some help

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
is that the 4700 thats 135 i think right?

If you want 135 W AVR you should go with either the AVR-X8500HA or the SR8015. Again, keep in mind unless you need the features of those two flagship class AVRs, the 3700 and the 4700 are the sweet spots. Never mind 140 W, the difference between 150 W vs the 4700's rated 125 W is only 0.8 dB. That means instead of listening at reference level, at whatever your volume setting is, just lower if by 1 to 2 clicks the 125 W amp will do be as good, all else being equal.

That's why to put things in perspective, it is much more about your listening habits and distance.
a) you need double the amp output power to gain 3 dB SPL.
b) you lose 6 dB SPL every time your seating distance doubles.

Again, because your distance is only 7 ft (surprising, based on the photos but I guess its the camera angle etc..) you can get away even without an external amp as others may suggest.

I suggested a 3 channel amp for you LCR only because you indicated you listen to -5 on from reference but like to go reference once and a while for showing friends..., and you LSi speakers are mostly truly 4 ohm nominal, and likely have dips to or below 3 ohms plus potentially not too nice phase angle. I realize your 507 can get you reference level, but there is no available bench measurements so if measured on the bench, that avr might in fact be capable of outputting well above 300 W into two channels through the Lsi15 during the real world music or movie peaks. The X3700H alone won't be able to do that because we do have it's measurements from the ASR bench tests.

The graph below shows the 3700 could do 168 W at about 0.007% THD+N at the knee point but would reach almost 200 W (190 or so just to eyeball it) by the time it reached about 1% THD THD that most bench test sites consider as the "clipping point".

If you are going to start off by trying just the AVR, please be sure to put a couple 120 mm usb fans on top.

index.php

Last edited:
OP
T

tpeter

If you want 135 W AVR you should go with either the AVR-X8500HA or the SR8015. Again, keep in mind unless you need the features of those two flagship class AVRs, the 3700 and the 4700 are the sweet spots. Never mind 140 W, the difference between 150 W vs the 4700's rated 125 W is only 0.8 dB. That means instead of listening at reference level, at whatever your volume setting is, just lower if by 1 to 2 clicks the 125 W amp will do be as good, all else being equal.

That's why to put things in perspective, it is much more about your listening habits and distance.

Again, because your distance is only 7 ft (surprising, based on the photos but I guess its the camera angle etc..) you can get away even without an external amp as others may suggest.

I suggested a 3 channel amp for you LCR only because you indicated you listen to -5 on from reference but like to go reference once and a while for showing friends..., and you LSi speakers are mostly truly 4 ohm nominal, and likely have dips to or below 3 ohms plus potentially not too nice phase angle. I realize your 507 can get you reference level, but there is no available bench measurements so if measured on the bench, that avr might in fact be capable of outputting well above 300 W into two channels through the Lsi15 during the real world music or movie peaks. The X3700H alone won't be able to do that because we do have it's measurements from the ASR bench tests.

The graph below shows the 3700 could do 168 W at about 0.007% THD+N at the knee point but would reach almost 200 W (190 or so just to eyeball it) by the time it reached about 1% THD THD that most bench test sites consider as the "clipping point".

If you are going to start off by trying just the AVR, please be sure to put a couple 120 mm usb fans on top.

index.php
Great post! I'll reply more to it later but I did Remeasure my distance and you're right I'm about 11 feet from my L and R

OP
T

tpeter

index.php

Man your knowledge is simply amazing!! I wish you lived close I would pay you to come over and run some tests and setup my system either my current system or updated system if i buy a new AVR with or without amps..

I guess my next question for you would be , if i was to drop say 1500 on the 3700 then another grand on a nice 3 channel AMP... would i set this all up and be WOWED at the difference and tell myself that was a well justified purchase?

I almost wish my AVR would break so I was forced to be up to date but the damn thing just still sounds so damn good... yet i haven't heard updated systems either so I don't know what the difference would be .

Jbrunwa

Yeah ive thought about ordering one off amazon, their return policy makes its sweet to...
Actually, when price is the same, the 60 day no questions asked return period from Denon.com is better IMO

OP
T

tpeter

Actually, when price is the same, the 60 day no questions asked return period from Denon.com is better IMO
Yeah and I think I read they do 2 day shipping to so I like that

2ndHarm

Could I just get away with a 3 channel amp for the LCR CHannels with the 3700
A Bryston 21B does 3 channels beautifully - putting 500w/channel into 4 ohms on 2 outputs and 900 watts into 4 ohms on 1 channel. No fans so it's really quiet. They aren't cheap - but the build quality is outstanding - plus a 20 year guarantee and made in Ontario, Canada. You could buy a regular multichannel AVR - a Yamaha 7.2 channel would be a good unit - one model has around 90 watts per channel - model RXA4A could power your other channels plus give you all the new wonderful tech you need.

OP
T

tpeter

A Bryston 21B does 3 channels beautifully - putting 500w/channel into 4 ohms on 2 outputs and 900 watts into 4 ohms on 1 channel. No fans so it's really quiet. They aren't cheap - but the build quality is outstanding - plus a 20 year guarantee and made in Ontario, Canada. You could buy a regular multichannel AVR - a Yamaha 7.2 channel would be a good unit - one model has around 90 watts per channel - model RXA4A could power your other channels plus give you all the new wonderful tech you need.
OH God that Bryston is 12k!!!!

DSJR

Major Contributor
S'cuse me for butting in, but that room looks ever so 'bare' to me. How's the acoustics in there?

OP
T

tpeter

S'cuse me for butting in, but that room looks ever so 'bare' to me. How's the acoustics in there?
Hell it sounds good to me with the doors shut... Any recommendations i am all ears.

2ndHarm

at 1/4th thats a steal... how did you do that
Kept a vigilant watch on eBay and Canuck Audio. I needed something beefy to power my Infinity QLS-1 speakers. My previous 3 amps would make the speakers bang on large transients (think thunder in movies). I replaced my woofers thinking they were the problem - but it continued until I connected the Bryston to them - no more banging.

OP
T

tpeter

what about the Monolith by Monoprice 5x200 with the Denon 3700.. I am seeing good things on this Amp with 4ohm Speakers.

OP
T

tpeter

Well i just bought the Monolith B stock 7 channel amp for 1399!! I am happy i saw this deal.. i then spend 999.99 on their 15inch Sub that was 340 off... Hell i didnt even need that , But guess it will replace my 20 year old SVS CS Ultra and now be paired with my svs PB3000.

Oh and the main reason for this thread.. I pre ordered the New Onkyo receiver... I'm excited.. will have that new AVR with a great price on the 7 channel amp

Last edited:

Wowarning

Would you not be able to use 5 of the amps in the 507 by connecting a prepro to the individual channel inputs for the DVD? I have one and admittedly haven't tried - yet - but I am planning on it. I would think it would bypass all the processing and would basically work as a power amp with a volume knob. I could be totally wrong. Sorry this is probably too late to be of any use.

Top Bottom