• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading audio interface/dac

Tharg

So at the moment my setup is pc-> Focusrite scarlett 2i2-> Adam audio t5vs. There seem to be background noise and ticking that gets even worse if I play any games, and the right channel is much louder than the left (not the speakers, I switched them to check) which is really weird. Also, it feels like I really need to crank up the volume knob on the Scarlett to get decent output from the monitors. I’m new to the audio world so I’m not sure if the issue is my pc, the audio interface, or the monitors but I assume it’s the interface.
Im thinking upgrading to one with optical input and it’s own power supply might fix the issue. I’d like to find a solution that would allow me to connect my pc and turning table to my monitors. Is there an all in one solution or should I get a dac and amp separately, and if so which ones should I get? Do the monitors need an amp or a preamp since they are powered? I’m kinda lost in all the terminology and information out there.
Thank you for the help :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
On paper this should be a reasonable combination. You don't say how you've connected the scarlett to the speakers, but I'd assume a balanced TRS to XLR cable. From the spec the Scarlett's maximum output level is a bit more than what's nominally needed to drive the T5Vs to full power, and you can change that with the knob on the back of the speakers anyway, so it really shouldn't be a problem. Side to side imbalance is odd as you say. For both the volume and the side to side imbalance check your PC's mixer settings. There's a chance it's faulty hardware too, in which case you could get a warranty replacement.

There are all sorts of different background noises with different causes, so you'll need to be more specific. Hiss is a common problem on cheap powered speakers, the problem being the cheap amps they use are noisy. If that's it then you'll have to find some less hissy speakers. Hum would suggest a ground loop somewhere. Odd noises when you move the mouse etc. suggest poor decoupling of the USB power supply. You could try a different USB port for that. Ticking is more likely due to the OS not delivering the audio data to the interface in time, and can be down to config settings, driver bugs, conflicting software and a host of other things. Windows isn't my thing, so I'll let someone who knows better direct you on that one.

Top Bottom