• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrades from Sennheiser HD6XX without EQ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD6XX is one of the easiest loads around.
The RME can drive it to 10V, the A30Pro to 16V (4dB louder)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran a pair of HD 6XX single-ended on a RME ADI-2 DAC and a Topping A90, and they drove them extremely well, with the A90 having some more headroom obviously.
Currently I just use a RME ADI-2/4 Pro, and they also drive the HD 6XX single-ended no problem.
Deleted because I wanted to say I was running it single-ended in both cases. Post originally was #18
I have the HD600 and HD650 and both get more than loud enough with a 0.5V EU Apple dongle.
I compared that directly to a 3.5V DAC+Amp with the volume matched with a multimeter and A/Bed using an MC103 (<0.1s dead time) and the sound was identical.

I have not tried an even more overpowered Amp, but since 0.5V -> 3.5V didn't result in any difference, I see no reason why 3.5V -> 10V would.
I can’t argue with facts, perhaps my inexperience with the RME.
I can say though I also have an Apple dongle and it doesn’t give me enough level.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I can say though I also have an Apple dongle and it doesn’t give me enough level.
Personal preference as well as choice of music are factors here of course.

Fwiw I used the dongle on Android with bit-perfect playback in UAPP (meaning the volume problem is bypassed).

My usual listening volume is 65-70dB SPL AVG with peaks of 80-90dB SPL depending on genre, and that could be below average.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Personal preference as well as choice of music are factors here of course.

Fwiw I used the dongle on Android with bit-perfect playback in UAPP (meaning the volume problem is bypassed).

My usual listening volume is 65-70dB SPL AVG with peaks of 80-90dB SPL depending on genre, and that could be below average.
The ear canals of people are different--even the two for one person. And so should the equalization. The manufacturer's e/q might not fit. Dr. Griesinger has a tool on his page to address the problem. At least the methodology may be copied for an improvement.

unpluggged

OP
T

Tecno_Monki

Excuse my constant jumping between choices but I've found some good prices on used headphones in my country. Focal Clear for 800$, Hifiman Ananda V2 for 500$, Audeze LCD-GX for 600$, AKG K702 for 150$ only. These are my final choices since it's a hassle to ship from other countries or continents.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HD6XX is one of the easiest loads around.
The RME can drive it to 10V, the A30Pro to 16V (4dB louder)
I don't find that the case in comparison to my other phones. Senn HD450, Beyerdynamic DT177x, or Grado SR225x. The RME in the hi power mode drives the HD6XX wonderfully though.

unpluggged

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't find that the case in comparison to my other phones. Senn HD450, Beyerdynamic DT177x, or Grado SR225x. The RME in the hi power mode drives the HD6XX wonderfully though.
That is only because it is less sensitive (less dB/V) which makes it require a bit more voltage relatively to the other ones mentioned and thus higher gain settings and/or higher volume knob settings. When driving it from a low voltage source (amp in IEM or low power mode ot one that is intended to drive low imp headphones) one will run into clipping around 100-110dB peaks. This seems very loud but this is 'just' comfortable loud and not yet 'impressively loud' and certainly not impressively loud with Harman type bass.
Incidentally, Harman type bass levels should not be used at impressively loud levels, the tonal balance would be incorrect (way too bassy)
This is an interesting feature RME has by the way (loudness function) and also sets it apart from other DAC/amps.

Some people call this 'requires a bit more voltage' 'harder to drive' but it isn't in a technical sense and such remarks create myths.
Insensitive AND (very) low impedance headphones (like Stealth) are factually 'hard to drive' ones as they basically require power amps to reach the same impressively loud levels as the HD6xx can reach driven from a single opamp.

In reality, the high impedance makes it so easy to drive that even the output of a single opamp has no issues driving it to very loud levels.
It draws very little current and because of this is a very easy load. You just need enough voltage swing.

Last edited:

unpluggged

In reality, the low impedance makes it so easy to drive
You probably meant to write "high impedance" ;)

And yes, the HD6XX are adequately driven by the Qudelix 5K, for instance. The RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro can deliver massive amounts of power, 22 dBu (28 dBu in balanced mode) is more than enough not only for the HD6XX, but for about anything bar some very special planars, which are then limited by amp's current capacity. I rarely need to switch to high gain (even with EQ), most mainstream material leave me about 6 to 8 dB of headroom.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
corrected... thanks :)

OP
T

Tecno_Monki

I'm in the process of buying a pair of Hifiman Ananda V2 Stealth for 470$ with shipping. I will report back probably sometime next week if they have arrived by then. I'm keeping my expectations low as to not get depressed about buyer's remorse.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tecno_Monki

I've only had time to listen to a few songs today but I instantly noticed a difference. The width of the soundstage doesn't feel too different but it's deeper, taller, more round and 3D in some way (in that more sounds are coming from right behind my ears and are easier to separate). I can hear even more echo in recordings, sometimes it seems to bounce around my head, and panning between the channels feels very different (some drum fills are more exciting now). The bass and vocals feel very defined and engaging now. Vocals might even be better than my old headphones somehow, especially when there are layered vocals or more than one singer. I'm planning on picking up a used RME ADI-2 DAC which will hopefully improve them further and allow me to add more low bass, fix that slope around 2000 Hz, and tame the treble a tiny bit. They feel very big and comfortable and the only problem I have is that the clamping force around my ears is very low, I would like to find a way to increase this to help secure them better against my jaw and cheekbone. I'm sure that I'll enjoy them even more after a couple of weeks and some simple EQ.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom