• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgraded Streamer For Qobuz with Topping D30 DAC

Transmaniacon

Hi all,

I currently stream Apple Music from my iPhone to an Apple Airport Express via Airplay2. The Airport is connected to my Topping D30 via optical. This works very well, however I am limited to 16/44.1 and all those hi-res files are being downsampled.

I’d like to upgrade my streamer and try out Qobuz, and make use of my existing D30 DAC. I see the Allo units are very well reviewed and affordable, however I am not sure which one I need.

I don’t need to DAC, so it seems like the Boss players are not necessary. The Digione Player looks like a good option, and has coaxial output, not sure if that is good or bad for my D30? It does still have the RPi3, whereas the newer units are using the RPi4.

I could get a Boss 1.2 player with RPi4, and the acrylic case for less than the digione, assuming it can act as just a streamer without issue?

I would select Moode as the OS for either one as I believe that lets me stream Qobuz using UPnP. On this note, does this let you stream from the Qobuz app, or is there a Moode app I need to use instead?

Thanks!

magchiel

Why not just buy a stock Pi4 and connect the D30 through USB? I don't see the added value of the Digione or Boss players you mentioned.

While I don't use MOode, from what I understand MOode uses upmpdcli for the advertised Qobuz integration, which is an UPnP renderer for MPD (the underlying audio daemon for MOode).

As Qobuz revoked the API key for upmpdcli, as far as I know the only way to use it is through a third party app that acts as a UPnP control point and connects Qobuz, e.g. BubbleUPnP. BubbleUPnP will stream to MOode (or in fact its UPnP renderer component upmpdcli). The original integration of upmpdcli that allowed to expose Qobuz as a UPnP library, also in MOode, I don't think will work anymore.

Alternatively you could go the LMS way, which still works well and gives you multi room as well as good local library integration.

In use Qobuz with both upmpdcli and LMS.

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Why not just buy a stock Pi4 and connect the D30 through USB? I don't see the added value of the Digione or Boss players you mentioned.

While I don't use MOode, from what I understand MOode uses upmpdcli for the advertised Qobuz integration, which is an UPnP renderer for MPD (the underlying audio daemon for MOode).

As Qobuz revoked the API key for upmpdcli, as far as I know the only way to use it is through a third party app that acts as a UPnP control point and connects Qobuz, e.g. BubbleUPnP. BubbleUPnP will stream to MOode (or in fact its UPnP renderer component upmpdcli). The original integration of upmpdcli that allowed to expose Qobuz as a UPnP library, also in MOode, I don't think will work anymore.

Alternatively you could go the LMS way, which still works well and gives you multi room as well as good local library integration.

In use Qobuz with both upmpdcli and LMS.
I had looked into Allo because they come in a case ready to go, instead of having to build something.

Good to know about the Qobuz integration, do any other RPi softwares work like Volumio? I am not sure what LMS is but I can look into that if it’s a better option than Moode.

Thanks for your help!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally think this endavor is a waste of money. let the tracks get downsampled, it doesn't matter much.

D

Deleted member 23424

I recently went through precisely this. Pi4 plus case and PS cost about £70. Assembly was simply tightening 4 screws. Moode as simple as copying a file onto an SD card. Job done. Sound was a vast improvement on my Surface Pro USB into my DAC but that says nothing about the Pi and everything about the ****** MS product it replaced.

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

I personally think this endavor is a waste of money. let the tracks get downsampled, it doesn't matter much.
Yeah I am beginning to think the ease and simplicity of Airplay is not worth giving up for what might not even make an audible difference. I have tried a CCA in the past but I felt it was much less reliable and would randomly stop working on occasion.

amper42

Major Contributor
I am using an RPi4 connected to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. It sounds great using UPnP streaming. I couldn't imagine going back to the compression limitations of Airplay with Qobuz. It's easy to setup Moode on the RPi4 and start playing. The main new user problem I have seen is when they forget to turn up the volume on Moode. :D

A RPi4 4Gb version is $55 plus a PS and a 16GB card takes you to 71.90.

Then, I place it in an Armor passive case for $12

Getting started (abbreviated):
1. Download Moode - https://moodeaudio.org
2. Flash the image to the card (https://www.balena.io/etcher/)
3. Insert the card into the RPi4
4. Connect the RPi4 via ethernet and connect your DAC via USB port.
5. Connect the power adapter to RPi4 and wait for red light to go off. (approx. 2 minutes)
6. Use http://moode, moode.local or IP address, whichever works on your network to connect to Moode
7. Go to network tab and enter wifi SSID and Password if you plan to use RPI4 via wifi.
8. Enable UPnP under audio tab. It supports Airplay or Bluetooth too if you want that. I only use UPnP.
9. Verify your DAC is shown as the Source in Moode.
10. Check the volume level is not Zero. :D
11. Restart the RPi4
12. Open your UPnP player on your computer and stream uncompressed music to your speakers.

For more info see this short guide:

Setting up RPi4 with Moode is easier than you might imagine. I have an RPI4 with a DAC or a Boss2 on each of my sound systems in various rooms. I'm in the process of setting up a separate RPi4 that will stream music to all (or some) of the rooms throughout the house. These little computers are amazingly useful and Moode makes them easy to use!
armor.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

I am using an RPi4 connected to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. It sounds great using UPnP streaming. I couldn't imagine going back to the compression limitations of Airplay with Qobuz. It's easy to setup Moode on the RPi4 and start playing. The main new user problem I have seen is when they forget to turn up the volume on Moode. :D

4. Connect the RPi4 via ethernet and connect you DAC via USB port.
5. Connect the power adapter to RPi4 and wait for red light to go off. (approx. 2 minutes)
6. Use http://moode, moode.local or IP address, whichever works on your network to connect to Moode
7. Go to network tab and enter wifi SSID and Password if you plan to use RPI4 via wifi.
8. Enable UPnP under audio tab. It supports Airplay or Bluetooth too if you want that. I only use UPnP.
11. Restart the RPi4
12. Open your UPnP player on your computer and stream uncompressed music to your speakers.

Setting up RPi4 with Moode is easier than you might imagine. I have an RPI4 with a DAC or a Boss2 on each of my sound systems in various rooms. I'm in the process of setting up a separate RPi4 that will stream music to all (or some) of the rooms throughout the house. These little computers are amazingly useful and Moode makes them easy to use!
View attachment 169053
That certainly seems easy! I don't have an SD reader however, can you buy a 16GB SD card with Moode pre-installed?

magchiel

Good to know about the Qobuz integration, do any other RPi softwares work like Volumio?
Unsure.
I am not sure what LMS is but I can look into that if it’s a better option than Moode.
Logitech Media Server/Squeezebox. It's open source and still has active plugin development for the streaming services. And with squeezelite you can turn any Linux device in a player. Lossless without bitrate limitations that I'm aware of. piCorePlayer is an implementation of this (although I run a Docker container on my NAS).

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

4. Connect the RPi4 via ethernet and connect you DAC via USB port.
11. Restart the RPi4

View attachment 169053
Looks like I found one on there, this is what I have in my cart:
1638285379584.png

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

You don't need the wifi adapter. The Pi is wifi capable.
Thanks, good to know. So I just need a 5V power supply, maybe the ifi SilentPower iPower 5V adapter? The Nirvana SMPS is out of stock.

amper42

Major Contributor
I would buy the

USB-C Power Supply, 5.1V 3.0A, Black​

You won't hear a difference in sound and it's only $8. It's an option that can be checked when buying the RPI4 at pishop.us. I am using one of these and I also have the Nirvana. I can't hear any difference in sound between them on my Revel F328 speakers and Purifi amp.

If you like to spend more money for 1 or 2 SINAD points you won't hear, then buy the Nirvana ps from Allo here:

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

I would buy the

USB-C Power Supply, 5.1V 3.0A, Black​

You won't hear a difference in sound and it's only $8. It's an option that can be checked when buying the RPI4 at pishop.us. I am using one of these and I also have the Nirvana. I can't hear any difference in sound between them on my Revel F328 speakers and Purifi amp.

If you like to spend more money for 1 or 2 SINAD points you won't hear, then buy the Nirvana ps from Allo here:
Thanks that is a good point. I'll have to find a USB-C to USB adapter so I can keep all the cables in the back of the unit.

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

11. Restart the RPi4

View attachment 169053

Would this same setup working using Volumio and Tidal Connect? I like that with Tidal HiFi, I could just use the Tidal App to stream from and not need a third party solution.

mediocrebutarrogant

I got it all working with rpi4 and moode and it’s brilliant but just want know how does it compare to blue sound node?

sspfr

11. Restart the RPi4

View attachment 169053
Have done the same hardware but with ropieee xl. Using as a Roon endpoint. DAC is a TT2

Top Bottom