• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade to new AVR?

OP
Hattrick

Hattrick

Why are you so interested in 3 year old products, especially when you care about HDMI 2.1? All of those discontinued AVRs have at most one HDMI 2.1 port. You should consider a modern AVR from 2023.
Agreed. That is why I upgraded. Next is a new TV in January.

CrusaderBG

My Speakers:
1699567345875.png

The Stereo Amplifier will be TECHNIKS SE-G700M2 - my dealer convinced me this is the best one. (well the best one is R1000, but I cannot easily afford it)

Current Spectrum of AVR choices:

Denon 3600H - it has the good japanese DAC. There are a lot on sale on Germany's ebay - 600 EUR
Denon 6700H - most probably with the USA DAC - 1800 EUR
Denon 4800H - USA DAC, newest model, - 1400 EUR

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Speakers:
View attachment 325011

The Stereo Amplifier will be TECHNIKS SE-G700M2 - my dealer convinced me this is the best one. (well the best one is R1000, but I cannot easily afford it)

Current Spectrum of AVR choices:

Denon 3600H - it has the good japanese DAC. There are a lot on sale on Germany's ebay - 600 EUR
Denon 6700H - most probably with the USA DAC - 1800 EUR
Denon 4800H - USA DAC, newest model, - 1400 EUR
Best amp for what, tho?

CrusaderBG

Best amp for what, tho?
For stereo - classical, rock, techno.

My only source of music/movies is the personal Computer.

So for music - only the G700M2E-S will be used with direct optical from the PC to it.
(since it has much better DAC and so on)
For movies - I will turn on the Denon, whose FE/FR will be preamped to the Techniks.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For stereo - classical, rock, techno.

My only source of music/movies is the personal Computer.

So for music - only the G700M2E-S will be used with direct optical from the PC to it.
(since it has much better DAC and so on)
For movies - I will turn on the Denon, whose FE/FR will be preamped to the Techniks.
It's just a 2ch amp, and isn't very different from what your avr has already. The dac isn't likely to make any difference.

CrusaderBG

It's just a 2ch amp, and isn't very different from what your avr has already. The dac isn't likely to make any difference.
Oh... so should I be spending extra 2K on the Techniks then....?
Everybody says that a 6K AVR cannot match for stereo sound from a 2K stereo amplifier.... so where is the truth?
Here is my AVR options:
+SR8015 for 2000 EUR
1699656633503.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Everybody says that a 6K AVR cannot match for stereo sound from a 2K stereo amplifier.... so where is the truth?
Here is my AVR options:
+SR8015 for 2000 EUR
View attachment 325320
Definitely not my experience that a 2ch integrated amp (in which I don't see much value in at all) will sound "better" than an avr, let alone "everybody" saying so (altho I do see such comments fairly frequently, I find them amusing mostly). Especially when it comes to helpful dsp/bass management, which the 2ch stuff generally lacks. They sell few of the 2ch integrated amps relative to avrs so they do also tend to cost a lot more (and often use no different components than an avr). I'd get an avr with pre-outs just in case you want to add more significant amplification (more power, lower impedance capabilities). I use my avrs for music all the time....and came from separate 2ch gear (which I still have, it's just not as useful as the avr plus am a multi-ch audio fan which a 2ch integrated or separates are fairly useless for.

The avrs you linked are all good, personally I find the 4800 a bit better value due the latest features it has the others don't (4 independent sub control plus possibility of Dirac). I have three Denon avrs myself (3808, 4520, 4700).

Technics themselves generally offer good gear, tho; my SL1200mk2 has been performing for almost 40 years.....

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is my AVR options:
+SR8015 for 2000 EUR
View attachment 325320
The best option on your list is the X4800H, as it is the most current, with full 40 Mbps HDMI 2.1 support. If you're interested in all that, as well as Roon support (coming soon?!), Chromecast built-in, Dirac Live, and optional DLBC, then look into the Onkyo RZ70 / Pioneer 805 / Integra DRX-8.4.

The only thing the Technics integrated gives you is VU meters, and there are better options if that's what you want (I say this as an owner of a Technics SL-1200).

Top Bottom