• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade to FiiO K3 (maybe just an amp?)

Tatalor51

Hi,

Very new at this, just went on a bit of buying spree lately and I think I might have made some mistakes. Bought a Audioengine D3 and a pair of MSR7 to use at work and I'm pretty happy with the setup.

The issue I have is with my FiiO K3 I use at home, mostly with a Fidelio X2HR. The power without gain is so so, have to push the volume pretty high and the X2 have really low impedance. Now I'm considering buying either a Sennheiser HD600 or 660s or maybe a Hifiman Sundara and I'm pretty sure the K3 won't really cut it anymore. Also, would the X2 or the Sennheiser HD 599 which I already have, sound better with more power?

I would need some advice about what to buy as a DAC/Amp to use with the above.

Would it be ok to just buy a decent amp like the JDS Atom, pairing it with my K3 and saving some money in the process? Is there anything else more readily availbable or comparable in Europe, as the Atom seems to be very overpriced on any Amazon EU site. Any drawbacks of using the K3 as a DAC only?

Would something like a Topping DX3 or a combination of D30/A30 be preferable and I should try selling the K3?

Don't really have a hard budget, 200-300 Euros or around there, don't want to reach the spot where diminishing returns hit too hard, at least for now.

Really appreciate any advice and thanks in advance!

Top Bottom