• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade to Adam A5X

vlad335

Forum Donor
I have these for a time and can't say I dislike them. However, got the upgrade bug and want to try something new and wondering what monitor would be an good upgrade. For not too much money if possible...

I have an ADI-2 DAC feeding a PreSonus Temblor T10 sub with high pass going into the A5X's. I do play back music somewhat loud and have hit the limits of the Adams at times, despite the high pass filter. I am not adverse to buying used and thinking this may be the best route.

behappybevegan

Do you want to stay active?
Just for music or also for mixing?

Used Adam t7v or t8v shouldn't be hard to find.
The just released Adam a7v is a bit more expensive.

If you want to switch brand look in to Kali in-8, lp-6 or lp-8.
Krk g10-3 g4 are okay'ish with a big 10" woofer.
Other respected studio monitors like Genelec, Neumann cost more but are really good.

Don't know your budget but maybe used active Kef's is something you would like.

OP
vlad335

vlad335

Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply. I had the Adam T series before this which are great but i thought the A5X was better. No mixing, just listen to music at my computer.

After reading this forum I am now intrigued by the Neumann KH-80 or 120 currently. Since i have a sub with high-pass I wonder if the KH-80 will do the job. also, considering the Kali In-5 or In-8. The latter would be quite big for my desk and I already have a sub. Also, not sure if they would be an upgrade considering the price. Heard a lot of great things about the 3 way Kali's though.

behappybevegan

That would be a good choice. 'Only' a 4" woofer though.
You may like a model with a bigger woofer better.

Try to find a shop where you can listen to them and compare them and other monitors.
Every one has a different taste in sound.
Or buy them online at a shop with a generous return policy like Thomann, Bax.

OP
vlad335

vlad335

Forum Donor
That would be a good choice. 'Only' a 4" woofer though.
You may like a model with a bigger woofer better.

Try to find a shop where you can listen to them and compare them and other monitors.
Every one has a different taste in sound.
Or buy them online at a shop with a generous return policy like Thomann, Bax.
Not a chance finding a shop t listen to various monitors. Why Im asking advice here. ;)

Morla

Forum Donor
a5x -> a7x? They get louder and should be easy to get them in used condition, maybe?

I use the a5x on the desk combined with the sub8. I like the AMT :)

Top Bottom