• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade time

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you guys think of this combo?

Dan Clark Aeon RT
Schiit Magnius
Schiit Modius

I wanted to keep it clean and handsome looking.

I think this is one of the rare occasions where I can say I hope you picked the xlr option on the Aeons.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great choices. I can't think of anything much cleaner than a Magnius/Modius stack.

OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

Thanks for the response my fellow music lovers. However, don't you guys think that the Asgard 3 will make more sense because it will add more body to the cans of choice?

OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

I think this is one of the rare occasions where I can say I hope you picked the xlr option on the Aeons.
Thank you for the response. I have not set the purchase yet as I am doing more investigation and research with this combo. I have a knowledge on how all these will sound like, but is that the sound that I will translate in reality to me???

VMAT4

Forum Donor
While everyone so far has congratulated you on your choice of headphones and electronics. I have to ask Aeon RT or Aeon Noire? Is the extra $400 worth it?

VMAT4

Forum Donor
It's the Aeon RT, what is the extra 400 bucks? I'm confused.

Have you considered the Noire? And is the Noire worth the extra $400 as we have Amir's Equalization curve?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the response my fellow music lovers. However, don't you guys think that the Asgard 3 will make more sense because it will add more body to the cans of choice?

The Asgard 3 measured terrible/bottom quartile 87db SINAD. Compared to the Modius and Magnius it's not even a debate. Seems like you should stick with your original plan that everyone agreed with you on.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-asgard-3-headphone-amp-dac.14393/

Modius 115db/top quartile
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-modius-balanced-dac-review.13769/

Magnius 119db with XLR/top quartile. And +1 to @Jimbob54 on getting the XLR headphones the Magnius measured significantly better with XLR than RCA.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-magnius-balanced-headphone-amp-review.15252/

threni

Major Contributor
OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

Have you considered the Noire? And is the Noire worth the extra $400 as we have Amir's Equalization curve?
Ah, I see. Whilst the advert for that particular headphone seems tempting and I quote "ÆON 2 Noire's tuning almost exactly aligns to the “Harman Curve,” gently boosting bass and treble compared to ÆON 2 Closed. The result is a “lighter” sounding midrange and a soundstage that moves the “stage” a bit further from the listener for a wider and deeper space". I do not think the extra 400 buckaroos is worth it. First is define "lighter" sounding midrange - don't know if they mean musically thin, if so, then no go. Second is "moves the "stage" a bit further", how a bit further??? If on the Aeon 2 is about let's say 2 inches away then a bit further is 2.5 inches??? Seems like a marketing strategy to me.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Ah, I see. Whilst the advert for that particular headphone seems tempting and I quote "ÆON 2 Noire's tuning almost exactly aligns to the “Harman Curve,” gently boosting bass and treble compared to ÆON 2 Closed. The result is a “lighter” sounding midrange and a soundstage that moves the “stage” a bit further from the listener for a wider and deeper space". I do not think the extra 400 buckaroos is worth it. First is define "lighter" sounding midrange - don't know if they mean musically thin, if so, then no go. Second is "moves the "stage" a bit further", how a bit further??? If on the Aeon 2 is about let's say 2 inches away then a bit further is 2.5 inches??? Seems like a marketing strategy to me.

Amir's EQ Curve brings the RT closer to the Harmon Curve. So, maybe you can experiment and see for yourself when new 'phones arrive. Right now I wish I had the money to invest in such 'phones.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
The Asgard 3 didn't measure poorly, just the internal (optional) DAC. With another DAC (Modius, Topping E30 etc) it'd be fine.

If you're going to add the Modius to either, what is the benefit of Asgard 3 over Magnius?

OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

Amir's EQ Curve brings the RT closer to the Harmon Curve. So, maybe you can experiment and see for yourself when new 'phones arrive. Right now I wish I had the money to invest in such 'phones.
Oh no, I have not purchased the headphones yet. I am still in the investigating process. No purchase have been made yet.

OP
SonicallyDeaF

SonicallyDeaF

The Asgard 3 measured terrible/bottom quartile 87db SINAD. Compared to the Modius and Magnius it's not even a debate. Seems like you should stick with your original plan that everyone agreed with you on.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-asgard-3-headphone-amp-dac.14393/

Modius 115db/top quartile
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-modius-balanced-dac-review.13769/

Magnius 119db with XLR/top quartile. And +1 to @Jimbob54 on getting the XLR headphones the Magnius measured significantly better with XLR than RCA.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-magnius-balanced-headphone-amp-review.15252/

So, if the amp measured poorly - is it already a no go? Please correct me if I am wrong, but from my understanding between the Modius and Asgard 3, the Modius has a more of a wall sound whereas the Asgard 3 has fullness and body.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Asgard 3 didn't measure poorly, just the internal (optional) DAC. With another DAC (Modius, Topping E30 etc) it'd be fine.

Ok. The dac measured poorly and the amplifier measured worse than the magnius. So still the same conclusion to skip the asgard in favor of his original plan.

Top Bottom