• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade time from old Marantz SR6003

Hfx

I currently have a old Marantz SR6003 i brought over to the USA with me from the UK in 2014 ( which im using a voltage converter on ) I have decided to treat us to a upgrade and was looking to get a Denon X3700H. I am terrible at buying things for me, my wife and kids no problem, have my last penny, me ? i second guess myself, and this is my idea. My wife doesnt care and has been telling me to pull the trigger for several months, in which time i have been reading these pages and basically trying to not talk myself out of buying.
speaker wise i have 2x QUAD 12L2 Rears and 2x L2 centers for the front ( i got a really good deal way back when ) and a older 11L2 center speaker along with a BK XLS200MK2 sub.
I have a 4k Sony TV and Projector, and thanks to my Microsoft point hording, i will have a free xbox series X ( when they come back into stock )
Are there any other amps i should consider? i am not a frequent upgrader, so try to buy the best i can in hope it will last a good mount of time.
sorry for the long winded post, i hope i have not looked a fool. and also hope i can either have my mind put to rest or some other options.
thanks
Lee

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denons are the best home theater receivers Amir has tested. For home theater, I recommend the best Denon with the features you need that is within your budget. X3700H is excellent and many more expensive HTRs don't perform as well.

OP
H

Hfx

The Denons are the best home theater receivers Amir has tested. For home theater, I recommend the best Denon with the features you need that is within your budget. X3700H is excellent and many more expensive HTRs don't perform as well.

Thank you. I am kind of curious if i will notice a audible jump from the old Marantz. and also what to do with the old unit, being a 240V machine im not sure there is any demand for it here.

OP
H

Hfx

Also, would anyone have any advice on something to replace the centre 11L2 ? i feel its the weak link now. but not totally sure what would be a good match to the Quads 12L2's.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. I am kind of curious if i will notice a audible jump from the old Marantz. and also what to do with the old unit, being a 240V machine im not sure there is any demand for it here.
If you wish to switch 4K video sources or plan on setting up extra speakers for Dolby Atmos, you ought to notice a difference.

OP
H

Hfx

If you wish to switch 4K video sources or plan on setting up extra speakers for Dolby Atmos, you ought to notice a difference.

I will only have the Xbox series X capabale of 4k. i had considered some Atmos.
connectivity is greaty improved with BT etc, but i had hoped sound improvement would be noticeable.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the Denon might have slightly more power and headroom, which could possibly make an audible difference, but if you really want to step up your sound quality, you'll want to look at speakers and perhaps measurement of in room response, equalization, and room treatment.

What is your budget for the center channel?

Reactions: Hfx
OP
H

Hfx

the Denon might have slightly more power and headroom, which could possibly make an audible difference, but if you really want to step up your sound quality, you'll want to look at speakers and perhaps measurement of in room response, equalization, and room treatment.

What is your budget for the center channel?

the room is 17x15 with seating 14ft away from the tv/projection screen. speakers wise i was under the impression ( quite probably wrongly as the speakers are as old as the sr6003 ) that they were plenty good enough, bar the center being weak as it was a older model.
center channel i really have not thought about budget, id rather save for something a good match should it be a solid upgrade.

sorry if thats vague.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the room is 17x15 with seating 14ft away from the tv/projection screen. speakers wise i was under the impression ( quite probably wrongly as the speakers are as old as the sr6003 ) that they were plenty good enough, bar the center being weak as it was a older model.
center channel i really have not thought about budget, id rather save for something a good match should it be a solid upgrade.

sorry if thats vague.
Looks like those are not electrostatic and are about 88dB/W@1m, so I'd look for something neutral with similar sensitivity and design. Maybe one of these:

Revel Concerta C25
Revel Performa3 C208
Focal Chora Center Channel
Focal Aria CC900

The Focals are a little more sensitive so they might stand out a little more than the Revels, but that is not necessarily a bad thing for a center channel speaker.

OP
H

Hfx

Looks like those are not electrostatic and are about 88dB/W@1m, so I'd look for something neutral with similar sensitivity and design. Maybe one of these:

Revel Concerta C25
Revel Performa3 C208
Focal Chora Center Channel
Focal Aria CC900

The Focals are a little more sensitive so they might stand out a little more than the Revels, but that is not necessarily a bad thing for a center channel speaker.

Thank you. the Focal would be more in my price range ( honeslty didnt expect 2k + ) so thank you. i appreciate the information as honeslty i am a little lost with eveything nowadays.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. the Focal would be more in my price range ( honeslty didnt expect 2k + ) so thank you. i appreciate the information as honeslty i am a little lost with eveything nowadays.
Focal are my favorite speakers, but they don't do quite as well as Revel in objective testing. I am biased because I like the idea they are made in France, and I think they have some of the best aesthetics; way ahead of Revel. The Chora and Aria are very similar in performance. The rounded baffle improves directivity a little bit and the finish is a little nicer on the Arias, but that's about it.

OP
H

Hfx

I shall do some research tomorrow, I am kind of in limbo until the series X arrives anyway :)
Although I did just order the Denon which will be here Friday.

OP
H

Hfx

So the Denon arrived, and again I am looking for some advice. The marantz 6003 never over heated or had any issues even though it’s a UK 240v machine running on a cheapo voltage converter for USA voltage. It sat in the top slot of the cabinet.
I was considering removing the top shelf and putting the Denon on the middle shelf which gives it much greater room for heat to dissipate, as when I get a new center I will mount it way higher or on the bottom shelf. Do you think there would be enough room so heat is not a issue with the Denon if I removed the top shelf and put it in the middle ? I have no idea how hot it will get compared to the marantz which sat in the top slot quite happy for 6 years. But even so I do not think the top slot is a good idea. ( I am not a heavy user it will maybe stay on 5 hours at a time max.

Attachments

• 9294944B-6490-43BE-ABA9-93CC491E7CFE.jpeg
    9294944B-6490-43BE-ABA9-93CC491E7CFE.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 91

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the Denon arrived, and again I am looking for some advice. The marantz 6003 never over heated or had any issues even though it’s a UK 240v machine running on a cheapo voltage converter for USA voltage. It sat in the top slot of the cabinet.
I was considering removing the top shelf and putting the Denon on the middle shelf which gives it much greater room for heat to dissipate, as when I get a new center I will mount it way higher or on the bottom shelf. Do you think there would be enough room so heat is not a issue with the Denon if I removed the top shelf and put it in the middle ? I have no idea how hot it will get compared to the marantz which sat in the top slot quite happy for 6 years. But even so I do not think the top slot is a good idea. ( I am not a heavy user it will maybe stay on 5 hours at a time max.

You should put a fan on top of the Denon regardless. How warm it will get will depending on the ambient temperature, how well it is ventilated and how much your speakers will draw to get your the spl you want from 14 ft. A fan is a cheap insurance regardless.

In direct mode using analog inputs the Denon has some theoretical advantage but unlikely for any "audible jump" in sound quality. For digital inputs, with Audyssey XT32, and the new surround codecs, there will be audible differences for sure.

OP
H

Hfx

You should put a fan on top of the Denon regardless. How warm it will get will depending on the ambient temperature, how well it is ventilated and how much your speakers will draw to get your the spl you want from 14 ft. A fan is a cheap insurance regardless.

In direct mode using analog inputs the Denon has some theoretical advantage but unlikely for any "audible jump" in sound quality. For digital inputs, with Audyssey XT32, and the new surround codecs, there will be audible differences for sure.

thanks. I have been looking at the AC Infinity aircom series but I have not looked into which model would be suitable for the Denon. We are in Alabama currently, and we keep the house around 72-73 in the summer months ( so says the thermostat )
Maybe with a fan like the aircoms it can sit where the old one was?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks. I have been looking at the AC Infinity aircom series but I have not looked into which model would be suitable for the Denon. We are in Alabama currently, and we keep the house around 72-73 in the summer months ( so says the thermostat )
Maybe with a fan like the aircoms it can sit where the old one was?

Just get the cheap one such as this:

1617653417335.png

Amazon.com: AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7, Quiet Dual 120mm USB Fan, UL-Certified for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling: Computers & Accessories

One fan should be enough but it is better to get two so you can set them to the minimum speed for quietness.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
The fans that @peng mentions should serve you well. However, f you want something directional to pull air off the top of the Denon take a look at the AC Infinity Aircom S10. I have the rear exhaust version (Aircom S8) for my Harman Kardon HK670; it's a vintage audio receiver that runs really hot when pushed. However, the S10 -- front exhaust -- is probably better suited for your cabinet.

The Aircoms are very quiet and do a great job regulating the temperature. There's also step-up models: the T8 and T10.

1617654022892.png

OP
H

Hfx

Excellent, thank you so much for the advice. i will have a look into both, the directional option seems to be a better long term option as the cabinet could maybe be left as it is.

thankyou again, i will set it up where it is for now and do some research, but yousaved me probably weeks of second guessing myself. :)

OP
H

Hfx

Just wanted to pop back in and say thank you again for putting my mind at rest with the Denon, i had a play for several hours last night, and i am very very happy.
of course i need to get a new center speaker, but i feel the Quad 12L2 speakers sound a good deal clearer than they have ever done, and there was no distortion even when i cranked it up to the point i felt my windows may fall out.
i need to read up about "zone 2" as i am hoping that means i can run speakers to my bedroom/gym.

thank you again.
Lee

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i need to read up about "zone 2" as i am hoping that means i can run speakers to my bedroom/gym.

thank you again.
Lee

Yes. That's what it means. I am glad you are happy with the Denon.

Top Bottom