• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade the two-channel speakers or build an avr focused setup??

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BIC F12 sub - it's set pretty low
Thought that was a sub, but you hadn't mentioned one. Low level may still not be well integrated, so I'd perhaps wonder if there's something there to look into seeing as your integrated amp has no bass management, just a limited sub pre-out....where do you set the LPF on the sub? I'd agree with getting your speakers up to ear level to start, tho.

OP
M

machinejump

Thought that was a sub, but you hadn't mentioned one. Low level may still not be well integrated, so I'd perhaps wonder if there's something there to look into seeing as your integrated amp has no bass management, just a limited sub pre-out....where do you set the LPF on the sub? I'd agree with getting your speakers up to ear level to start, tho.
volume 2/10, crossover touch under 80hz.
I fiddled with it more when i was running the bookshelf speakers (seen in photo1) but after switching to the KG4's I just set the volume to 2 and let it ride. Sounds like all this haphazard placement and settings are not helping my ears out... ha. I have a feeling the Mic + Rew will be revealing

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
volume 2/10, crossover touch under 80hz.
I fiddled with it more when i was running the bookshelf speakers (seen in photo1) but after switching to the KG4's I just set the volume to 2 and let it ride. Sounds like all this haphazard placement and settings are not helping my ears out... ha. I have a feeling the Mic + Rew will be revealing
Seems at that LPF setting you've got some overlap going with your speakers, and suppose with lower range voices could have an effect. So you just put the sub there because of aesthetics/convenience? Subs sometimes don't like that....

ps You've tried voices with the sub off?

JonK99

The dynamic volume feature found on many AVRs can do a lot for dialog that is just too quiet. And it works without a center channel. It simply raises the volume for quiet passages and reduces it for the loudest parts so you can hear the dialog without turning volume up to where the loud parts are overwhelming.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Current setup is CXA81/CXN and an old pair of Klipsch KG4's (listening postion about 15ft away)
But I am having trouble hearing dialogue when I use my setup for movies and tv shows (I did make sure that the audio is set to stereo mode)
RE: 3 - usually when i listen to music its either sitting in a comfy chair pulled to about 9ft away or music is playing while im moving around the room - on the couch, playing with the dog, in the
How about looking at the room? Sounding better at 9' than 15' tells me the room is on the live side (also seeing the photos confirms this) if you can control your early reflections and also the RT60, I think you will have a better time listening to music and with dialog intelligibility.

No one here looks down on EQ. But to use EQ intelligently, first he needs to measure the existing frequency response.
No they don't! ;)

As a new member of this forum I have noticed several regular themes. One is the regular recommendation to throw DSP at your problems early and often. EQ and DSP in particular can be very powerful, but in my opinion they should be icing on the cake. First start out with a great cake and then put the icing on it. Taking a terrible cake and dumping on the icing to fix the dry tasteless cake will never give you the best results.

Another thing about EQ and DSP. Automatic systems do not always make it better and knowing how to deploy EQ properly manually takes skill and practice... yes, and using measurement software and having good techniques for that as well.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are absolutely correct. However, unless you have a professional to teach you or a school course nearby, the way to achieve skill and technique is to jump in and try, try and try some more. Yes, you'll screw up .... but you will also learn. After all, when you were a little tyke, you had to learn to use a knife, fork and spoon. This is no different.

And if you haven't noticed, you can screw up a hundred times and there will be people here to advise you a hundred times and more. This place is valuable that way.

Jim
Oh yeah... we learn by burning our fingers and I have the scars to prove it.

I have been doing this since the days of IVIE LED spectrum analyzers and analog graphic and PEQs. Today's tools make if far easier and offer far more power, but the learning curve is still pretty steep. I think more cautious advice should be given before simply saying jump in there and tweak away. Perhaps, "this is what you can try, but be prepared to spend a great deal of time massaging the sound". Also mentioning that most people tend to over correct would be a help. Usually less is more.

And if you haven't noticed, you can screw up a hundred times and there will be people here to advise you a hundred times and more. This place is valuable that way.
Absolutely and the patience and overall tone is very refreshing. There is obviously a massive wealth of knowledge here and tons of good will. I have been very impressed.

Top Bottom