• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade sound from Sonos Connect

rnj

Hi there - is there a way to get a significant & noticeable improvement in sound quality by adding a component to this set up? I currently use a Sonos Connect and plug the analog RCA output into a Niles si2100 power amp driving a set of Elac DBR62. I exclusively listen to spotify at max quality (no ripped cd's or anything else). I actually think it sounds great, but honestly am wondering if I am missing out and can make it even better (potential rabbit hole I know).

Which one of the below options do you think would make a SIGNIFICANT & NOTICEABLE difference (i am not a audiophile).

1) If i put an external DAC between the Sonos Connect and the Niles Power amp
2) Put a pre-amp with built in DAC between Sonos Connect and Niles Power Amp
3) Get a new integrated Amp to replace the Niles (maybe one of the Emotivas)
4) Ignore all the above as a unnecessary rabbit hole and go back to listening to music.

FYI - I also tried Amazon HD but could not notice any difference in sound quality. So I don't believe switching away from Spotify to Tidal/Quboz is worthwhile for me.

My room positioning of the speakers is not perfect but it's good enough given other constraints (i.e. far enough away from walls, and i sit in a slightly elongated triangle)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Probably 4. You already think it sounds great, so why worry?

1 & 2: The Sonos Connect's analog outputs weren't great, but they weren't bad, and the digital output wasn't much better. On that basis I wouldn't expect adding an external DAC with or without preamp to improve things significantly.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-sonos-connect-streamer.8038/
3: Assuming it's a competent amp and you're not noticing a shortage of power you'll probably have difficulty telling the difference in a blind test. The si2150 came out pretty well - I'm guessing it's a close relative.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...niles-si-2150-class-d-amplifier-review.16054/

If you want a clearly audible change then look to speakers, room correction or room treatment. It's another rabbit hole risk though, so may be better not to try. Your current speakers are pretty good so whether you think the change is an improvement is another matter - I'd stick with them. I don't know whether Sonos include anything like parametric EQ which you might be able to use to apply room correction. If they do then you could look into using REW and a measurement mic to find out what EQ to apply, and give an indication of whether treatment might be useful. The search button above should lead you to suitable threads on these if you really want to dive in...

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If you want a clearly audible change then look to speakers, room correction or room treatment. It's another rabbit hole risk though, so may be better not to try. Your current speakers are pretty good so whether you think the change is an improvement is another matter - I'd stick with them. I don't know whether Sonos include anything like parametric EQ which you might be able to use to apply room correction. If they do then you could look into using REW and a measurement mic to find out what EQ to apply, and give an indication of whether treatment might be useful.
Well put.

One benefit I’d like to add is that it gives you a feeling of taking control over your own audio journey. There is something very empowering about measuring your response, looking at the graphs, identifying the issues, implementing corrections, verifying the results, etc. Went through this myself recently and getting an UMIK-1 turned out to be the best investment in my hobby I could have ever made.

OP
R

rnj

Probably 4. You already think it sounds great, so why worry?

1 & 2: The Sonos Connect's analog outputs weren't great, but they weren't bad, and the digital output wasn't much better. On that basis I wouldn't expect adding an external DAC with or without preamp to improve things significantly.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-sonos-connect-streamer.8038/
3: Assuming it's a competent amp and you're not noticing a shortage of power you'll probably have difficulty telling the difference in a blind test. The si2150 came out pretty well - I'm guessing it's a close relative.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...niles-si-2150-class-d-amplifier-review.16054/

If you want a clearly audible change then look to speakers, room correction or room treatment. It's another rabbit hole risk though, so may be better not to try. Your current speakers are pretty good so whether you think the change is an improvement is another matter - I'd stick with them. I don't know whether Sonos include anything like parametric EQ which you might be able to use to apply room correction. If they do then you could look into using REW and a measurement mic to find out what EQ to apply, and give an indication of whether treatment might be useful. The search button above should lead you to suitable threads on these if you really want to dive in...

Thanks for the thoughtful and realistic response. It's nice to have more balanced expertise parse the signal from the noise here (as it relates to all the chatter on various audio upgrades)

Top Bottom