• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade question: new amp or a DAC+CD player?

SacreDro

Hi guys,

I currently have a pair of BC Acoustique Tamise speakers paired up with a Yamaha A-S201 2x50W, a cheap Behringer DAC that's connected via USB to my PC as a source, that is used for streaming from Youtube Music, had Spotify and Apple Music before and think about going back to them due to better quality streaming from my point of view.
My question is: in order to improve the sound quality should I get a new DAC like Topping/SMSL/Loxjie for like 100-200 Euro and a new used amp like Yamaha A-S700/A-S701 or a IOTA PA3 or SA3 amp and used a CD Player, so I can get better audio quality or upgrade to a better DAC+CD Player?
Streaming has a low quality from what I know than using a CD Player, but I need to know the next upgrade step and future proofing.

Thanks.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I'd say start with EQ. Buy a measurement mic (such as a calibrated UMIK-1), learn how to take measurements in REW, and then take the recommended EQ adjustments from REW and implement them in something like EqualizerAPO + Peace. That will go a long way towards getting your speakers integrated into your room / your listening position, and likely give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of improving SQ.

After that you can look into whether upgrading your DAC or your amp makes sense, ideally using measurements from ASR. (I don't think your Yamaha A-S201 has been measured here, and I don't know what Behringer DAC you have.) My guess is that those devices are OK, and upgrading will only result in minor (at best) improvements in SQ. I won't comment on streaming quality vs. the 16/44.1 kHz quality of CDs, but my guess is that streaming quality is good enough to where you won't hear an audible difference.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best reason to buy a new DAC is because you like the form factor, the features and / or appearance. The cheap plastic Behringer UCA202 is actually pretty good as a DAC, less so as a headphone amplifier (but can be modded for more power, lower output impedance):
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/search?q=behringer

Top Bottom