• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade my system for better instruments separation

maty

Major Contributor
Klipsch Forte IV
[Hungarian] https://www.hifi-voice.com/testy-a-recenze/reprosoustavy-podlahove/3199-klipsch-forte-iv

You may have more problems but those loudspeakers are surely part of them. Either you improve them internally or you change them for others, investigating the purchase very well before.

Other Klipsch
Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

-> 4th image: subjective review

Attachments

• 2021-06-30-TST-Klipsch-Forte-IV-m2.png
    2021-06-30-TST-Klipsch-Forte-IV-m2.png
    496.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 2021-06-30-TST-Klipsch-Forte-IV-m3.png
    2021-06-30-TST-Klipsch-Forte-IV-m3.png
    454.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 2021-06-30-TST-Klipsch-Forte-IV-m9.png
    2021-06-30-TST-Klipsch-Forte-IV-m9.png
    753.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Portapapeles01.png
    Portapapeles01.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 48

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Imo you should trade out your Klipsch for something by Revel. Or if you're willing to sell your amplifiers, get a pair of Genelecs with GLM and be done.

Matt Bell

For beginners buy measuring microphone like UMIK-1 and learn basics of how to use it with REW. Then when you are able to see what's going on (along with all of us) we can talk what can be achieved. Ears are ears your or someone else's but graph (mic response) tells more than 1000 of words.
I have mixed feelings about those speakers (all around from resonances to crossovers and not in a good way).
After you try with digital PEQ then you can go with better speakers (supposed that ones you own are part of the problem), getting sub's and treating the room (including ISO 3382-1) which won't either be easy or cheap for the bass.

This would be my first port of call too.

Or buy a reasonably priced DSP room EQ unit like the miniDSP SHD Studio. The beauty of this, apart from its being super easy to use, is that next time you move house, you just run the process again and it adapts your system to the new room.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add to what has already been said:

1) Speakers- These are the obvious weak link in your system. As others have suggested, take a look at the offerings from Revel and KEF which are designed with smooth on and off axis responses to help control their interaction with the room in a more predicable manner.
2) Amplifier- The amp you have is a wonderful unit, but it is lacking something that is really important, the ability to perform room correction in the digital domain. Being able to perform room correction digitally makes a huge difference.
3) Room- You room makes a huge difference in how a system sounds. Obviously, right now, you have limited control over this. Looking down the road, depending on how much control you have over your living situation and how important audio remains, you may want to learn a bit about room modes so when looking for potential places to live, you can have an eye on what rooms will likely be better sounding.

And as far as cables, you better start believing in them. No cables, no power to your equipment. No cables, no way to get all those little electrons between components. :p Well at least until they come out with bluetooth power connectors.

Willem

Major Contributor
the DSpeaker x2 wluld be a nice and convenient DAC/preamp/dsp room eq unit. Add a beefy class D amp and you are done.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon software offers DSP and EQ for $15/mo in the US, plus whole bunch of other fun features to manage your digital and streaming music collectionin a magazine format. You can try it for free.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
If you can't or won't fix the room, it is up to you. That is 50% of the sound. The boxes in the box. I wouldn't get rid of the current gear and concentrate
on what you have. Any information on how the room measures is an inexpensive way to use passive material, like curtains or panels to calm the
room down. You can take them with you to the next place and save your money for something that actually works. Room treatment and speaker placement.
Your gear is fine. A few Helmholtz resonators for the peaks, you're sittin' in tall cotton.

Those speakers do a lot better "pulled into the room, not close to the back wall. It's also the point of first reflection for bass response. Gets some tape, a tape measure
and run some placement test. Treat the back wall, you'll really be surprised how much better the speakers will image. The source at that point is the key to
what you will hear. The speakers usually aren't the problem if they get close to full range and driven with enough headroom.
Vinyl is nice it teaches patience and offers a lot of sound options IF you're willing to tweak them out of a TT system. You don't have to spend a fortune, BUT you
have to pay attention to detail.

Digital vs Analog? For me it's Digital AND Analog. I listen to a transistor radio in the shop most of the time.

Regards

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
=> Room treatment is out of perspectives, I'm still a student at university and I don't have a stable geographical situation at the moment
I'm guessing no room treatements is because you can't drill holes in walls to hang stuff in a semi-permanent manner? If you have the room for them, there are some good free standing options that can easily move and take with you. Considering how much you've spent on the other stuff, this isn't even really that expensive. Here are some options from GIK (I have been happy with their products):

robwpdx

Welcome to ASR! There are many good suggestions above like measuring the room and thinking about the speakers. Everything goes to your ears.

So I am going to go down a different track. Make a listening journal. "On _this specific recording, I am hearing _this with _these instruments." See as many live performances as you can with similar instrumentation in a good hall and take notes. See if there is a pattern with specific instruments across recordings and live performances. Also listen to live streaming broadcasts and journal those. Include respected headphones and IEM from the ASR high-rated ones in your listening journal of recordings. The recent Truthear ones are ridiculously inexpensive.

Orchestras have different musicians and conductors. Some orchestras deliberately create a very thick honey melded string sound. Listen to solo piano recitals. The piano is a great test of recording which most people can hear.

Compare your notes with the frequency response data on instruments I posted on another thread - https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/acoustical-characteristics-of-musical-instruments. Is there a common frequency range where you are hearing more mush, or does it vary by recording and live? Make friends with acoustic musicians as advisors to evaluate the same recordings and listening setup. A classically trained instrumentalist who plays in an orchestra or small group has a lot of years of listening experience. Make friends with classical music recording engineers.

Then take your room measurement data and see if there is a problem in that particular frequency range.

Post a drawing, photos and measurements of your room.

Then EQ your room and repeat your listening log in your improved room.

Some things you can do at low to no cost is move your listening position into nearfield of the speakers, treat the floor inexpensively with carpet laid on 2cm of jute fiber, not foam, carpet pad, and try to create a live end behind the speakers and dead end on the sides and back with acoustic absorbing material. A dead ceiling can be done in a studio, not a rental, but that would be a bonus.

There was a very good suggestion of visiting studios to listen to professional monitors. There are a small number of common brands: Focal, Amphion, ATC, Kii, Neumann, Dutch and Dutch, Dynaudio, Genelec, Quested, Barefoot - not really many more. The studio is going to have a better room than a hifi dealer. Some studios will have several monitors in one trip. Listen nearfield, midfield, even farfield. Understand the effect of soffit mounting in farfield - you can't do that in a rental. If you want to drop some money on an unknown, listen to the Present Day Production monitor at their demo which is soon in London? Buy a pair, and send them to AmirM for testing! Hey, send some ATC SCM25A for testing to end the debate!

You are off on a big adventure you should journal and even video to tell a story with hopefully a happy ending. Report back to ASR on your journey. Keep up participating in our forums.

Last edited:

Philbo King

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum which seems to be a place of open-minded people.
My system is pretty simple and does works well in every situation : Mcintosh MA352, Klipsch Forte IV, Atlas Achromatics cables, DACMAGIC 200M Cambridge, Octavio Streamer, Transrotor Darkstar TT, Transorotor Phono III phono pre amp loading an Ortofon Quintet Black S. I aslo have Audioquest cables and multisocket with filterings.

So here is the thing, I do have really rare and expensive vinyl some collectors and some are from the best providers such as UHQR or Mofi. And even with my vinyl setup I do not find the sound really night and day compared to my digital source. I do not believe anymore in vinyl. When I started my audiophile journey I was only into vinyl 100 % times but I wanted digital to give a try and done what is done now. Digital is quiter, deeper, more precise, more convinient and so on...

So I'm think on upgrading my system with the fact that I will maybe sell the TT, phono and Ortofon Quintet Black S. It will get me a pretty bunch of money that I could use for upgrading my system while switching to digital that I enjoy more today. The only thing I find disturbing in my system is that sometimes in certain songs they are some instruments which are blended in the signal, I want to ear all of them very easily without concentration and effort. That would be the final goal and the end of the Hifi Game for me. Otherwise, everything on bass, midgrage, voices, guitar and stuff are all totally fine in my system.

I know I could sounds crazy for the majority of you guys and girls, but my ears are my ears and yours are yours.

But to better clarify eveything to gain time for some of you :
=> I do not believe in cables. Those I have are perfect, I won't change it
=> Room treatment is out of perspectives, I'm still a student at university and I don't have a stable geographical situation at the moment
=> I don't believe in digital source upgrades : the streamer I have is fine, a bunch of 0 and 1 is a bunch of 0 and 1 no matters what procuded it. I won't upgrade that either. The octavio streamer is reliable, affordable and perfectly fine and is a French product so it is nice for my country overall (sometimes you have to think ethical).
=> I won't change the DAC. Cambridge have made an awesome job on this unit, it is pure and silent, perfect in evey aspect. I've compared it to a 3k euros DAC that I've borrowed from my local hifi shops and guess what, the DACMAGIC was equally sounding and even better because it is only 600 euros. For reference, the DAC was an ATOLL DAC300.

I hope that some of you would be able to give me some perspectives and insights to get more instrument sparation in my system.

I'm looking foward to read you.

Best regards !

Theo
Have you heard any music with the separation you want? If so, the problem isn't your system, it's the recording and how it's mixed.

If you want to check your system (in your room) try this. Old, but still good.

Last edited:

Digi

Youi probably don't want to hear that to get objectively better sound you could change your amp to D-class Purifi amp with a Topping pre and change your speakers to something that measures well e.g. Revel, KEF. Or go active with Genelec/Neumann. Room EQ of course, couple subs to even out the response.
Hi, I have a Topping Pre and would like to try a Clas D Purifi amplifier. Please advise what specific Class D Purifier amplifier or mono amplifiers I should get. Thanks in advance.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

JeremyFife

Hi and welcome :)
Plenty of advice for you, not all of it contradictory :)

You say you are likely to move around, so no room correction. That's cool. Difficult to choose new speakers just yet too, since you don't know what space you want to fill

The things that affect your sound are; the recording, then Room then Speakers and then Speaker/Room interaction.
However, this all starts with measuring and this is something that you can start working on now.

I'd agree with members here who suggest a measurement microphone (umik-1 is standard) and getting to grips with the software REW. This is your basic tool to understand what is going on with your sound and what needs to change.
Change would then be room correction (not yet), different speakers (probably not yet) or DSP ... and you could do that part now

My thoughts: measure, and get some way of adding DSP to your system. You can correct your current setup, and learn how to manage your next one.
Simplest method - use a laptop as streamer and apply software DSP
Alternative, something like a miniDSP Flex (replace your DAC)

Enjoy :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You say you are likely to move around, so no room correction.
In general, with room correction we mean DSP room correction. Actual physical room treatment is out of the question. Although, if the OP can stomach some removable panels, that may still be an option.

JeremyFife

JeremyFife

In general, with room correction we mean DSP room correction. Actual physical room treatment is out of the question. Although, if the OP can stomach some removable panels, that may still be an option.
Agree. OP said 'room treatment' that's what I meant (and didn't say). DSP room correction is a great idea

Top Bottom