• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade itch - adding DSP - objectively "best" option...

What is objectively the "best" way to add DSP to my system?

• MiniDSP Flex Digital

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • MiniDSP Flex Balanced

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Genelec 8330 + GLM (+ Motu 8d)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Genelec 8340 + GLM (+ Motu 8d)

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

LukeD

Been thinking about adding DSP to my system (see signature) for a while but haven't pulled the trigger on spending the money. The options are:
  1. Add MiniDSP Flex Digital.
    • Pros: cheapest, least faff option; can upgrade my DAC later/separately.
    • Cons: 2-channel only; another box; adding a subwoofer is harder
  2. Swap the MyTek DAC for MiniDSP Flex Balanced.
    • Pros: single box solution; subwoofer integration easier though (preferably) requires one with balanced inputs; has USB + SPDIF + Bluetooth inputs (I don't have BT on the current system but would be convenient/nice-to-have if upgrading).
    • Cons: 2-channel only; DAC is not SOTA but definitely good enough.
  3. Downsize to Genelec 8330 + GLM (+ Motu 8d).
    • Pros: DSP built-in and by all accounts will just work; able to extend to multi-channel with addition of Motu 8d; matching Genelec subwoofer is smaller/affordable; increased WAF;
    • Cons: cost; faff with change over (selling old gear etc); will be harder to get bigger speakers in future (WAF); no Bluetooth input without another box; multi-sub integration harder; 8830 only feature single input XLR so no option to run digital + analogue sources
    • On my current system our listening levels are typically between -50 and -40 dBFS so the smaller size should still be ok.
  4. Change to Genelec 8340 + GLM (+ Motu 8d).
    • Pros: DSP built-in; able to extend to multi-channel with addition of Motu 8d; size is already WA though she'd prefer smaller; volume capability known to be suitable for our needs; 8340 feature digital + analogue inputs
    • Cons: highest cost; faff with change over; no Bluetooth input; Genelec matching sub is £££; multi-sub integration harder
So, which option is objectively the best in terms of performance and future proofing? My current input needs are USB, SPDIF and, ideally but not critically, Bluetooth. I won't be able to extend to multi-speaker, multi-sub or do any room treatment until we've bought a house. But dreaming of future systems is all part of the fun...

Let me know what you think.

ehabheikal

I am resisting getting dsp or dac with dsp. I currently have roon so i use its dsp, but that only allows me to correct for stuff going through roon, i also have my pc connected to my dac so that goes without dsp, unless someone tells me of cheap software that can dsp the pc.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d probably get the flex balanced. It allows you to add some subs later on, specifically non Genelec ones.

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
I’ve become leery of trying to plan for future upgrades. Circumstances and desires tend to change. I’d advise going for something which meets all your needs right now, like the flex balanced (or the flex digital with a bit more work).

Tangband

Major Contributor
I can see that you already have two Genelec 8040. A good analog active speaker but its an over 10 years old design .
The fact is like this : the 8330 has GLM and even without this, its a better sounding loudspeaker than 8040. The max spl are almost the same and the clarity in the sound is better from 8330. Going from 8040 to 8330 is not downsizing.
The 8330 is a better speaker, even If its smaller.

The Minidsp flex gives you roomcorrection but the sound from your 8040 is not gonna reach the clarity of the 8330 .
The 8340 sounds the same as 8330, has GLM , can play 10 dB louder , goes 10 Hz deeper and are much more expensive. The price of those speakers very much reflects the performance.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The max spl are almost the same
I really doubt that in practice. Physics are against the 8330 in several aspects: it’s a smaller woofer and lower power amp. Where you need the SPL is down low, and there these aspects count. It also shows in the numbers Genelec provides: peak SPL is 5dB more, long term max SPL is 3dB more. That is quite a difference in practice if you actually play loud.
and the clarity in the sound is better from 8330. Going from 8040 to 8330 is not downsizing.
The 8330 is a better speaker, even If its smaller.
I wonder how much of a difference it really is? People say differences between 8030c and 8330 is minimal, I have no reason to think the 8040 is so much different either, despite being an older design.

OP
L

LukeD

I’d probably get the flex balanced. It allows you to add some subs later on, specifically non Genelec ones.
A month ago I was heavily leaning towards the 8330/8340 route but now I've pretty much decided on the Flex balanced for exactly this reason. Though I've recently seen a pair of Neumann KH310's come up second-hand for a decent price...

I’ve become leery of trying to plan for future upgrades. Circumstances and desires tend to change. I’d advise going for something which meets all your needs right now, like the flex balanced (or the flex digital with a bit more work).
Yea, I've been indecisive for quite a while now and have come around to a similar mindset - I should go for the option I can afford that'll give the best bang-for-buck at this stage. Better to enjoy an upgrade now while waiting for circumstances to change that'll allow the dream system to be affordable i.e. once I've bought a house :)

OP
L

LukeD

I can see that you already have two Genelec 8040. A good analog active speaker but its an over 10 years old design .
Just because its an old design doesn't mean it's not good though. And it's still a currently offered by Genelec / in their range so they must still be happy enough with it.

I'm worried that if I downsize to the 8330, the WAF will prevent me from ever upgrading to 8341's, whereas if I keep the 8040's for now... Although my dream speakers also include 1037/1038's which come up second-hand at almost affordable prices fairly regularly.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Just because its an old design doesn't mean it's not good though. And it's still a currently offered by Genelec / in their range so they must still be happy enough with it.

I'm worried that if I downsize to the 8330, the WAF will prevent me from ever upgrading to 8341's, whereas if I keep the 8040's for now... Although my dream speakers also include 1037/1038's which come up second-hand at almost affordable prices fairly regularly.
Dont get me wrong, - 8040 is a very good speaker , better than most other speakers in the same size. You can always buy second hand later, as you write.

Top Bottom