• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from Yamaha WXC-50: RME ADI-2 FS or Matrix Element i

radiogram

Hello everyone. I just joined ASR.

I am considering buying a Matrix element i, or RME ADI-2 FS (in which case I will use my existing Yamaha WXC-50 as a streamer and send its digital out to the RME via Coax or Optical).

At Present I have Ripped CDs and HiRes Downloads in a USB Drive hanging off a 2010 Mac Mini as DLNA Server hosting MinimServer (v2) and DLNA/UpNP rendered by a Yamaha WXC-50 via WiFi. I also stream Internet Radios using Yamaha’s VTuner support for all the URLs of the stations. I do not use Spotify, Tidel, etc. at present.

From what I have read so far, the Matrix element i, does not support ability to stream internet Radios (TuneIn, VTuner, etc). I am wondering if anyone has success with streaming Internet Radio to Element I with minimStreamer (add on package to minimServer) https://minimstreamer.com/.

Even though my Yamaha WXC-50 has Vtuner support and does not need minStreamer, I have tested the minimStreamer solution and it works fine with the Yamaha WXC-50 (with the exception of direct streaming mode where minimStreamer is only in the signaling path and not in the media path). The m3u Playlist file containing the URLs in the DLNA sever shows up in the DLNA Server interface of the Yamaha’s MusicCast App and minimStreamer pulls the radio stream from Internet and pushes to Yamaha. I can also push the same to Yamaha from mConnect App on Iphone, where the m3U Playlist also shows up in mConnect.

So, my questions are:
  • Anyone able to stream Internet Radio to Element i, using minimStreamer or any other means?
  • Does the MA App have DLNA interface on its own (like Yamaha Musicast or Bluesound) without needing to push from the likes of Audirvana, mConnect, etc
  • Any other thoughts on (RME + WXC-50) Vs Element i?
  • Or Should I just stick with Yamaha WXC-50 (I am not able to hear any difference between the DLNA streamed Yamaha’s output of ripped CD Vs analog output of my Sony ES CD Player, which BTW was what pushed me to Rip all CDs and go with DLNA streaming)
Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom