• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from X2HRs - $1000 budget. Where do I go?

oreganobag

I want to step up from these. I've had two pairs over about 6 years - I think. They replaced my more analytical AKG Q701s, I believe, I used for competitive gaming way back in the day. I no longer play competitive games, and like watching action/sci-fi movies, playing RPGs with lots of dialogue, actions and amazing music, space games for rumbling bass while firing boosters and listening to my torpedos explode, and just general daily driving music listening. I think I really do prefer open back sound stages because even on more expensive closed backs

Listened to HE400SEs and they were both the HEs and X2HR were very similar until I managed to drop those and introduce a channel imbalance. I've since moved my setup to prevent that (cable was getting wrapped around my chair or my dogs and basically ripped them off my head when I swivled around). I've got a pair of JM modded HE-R9s hoping for a bass head upgrade, but I think the X2HRs are more pleasant sounding after comparing the 2. The closed back design really muddies the sound stage. Also, my lack of EQ experience doesn't help.

I think I'm looking at DCA Aeon 2 Opens, but I'm open to almost anything under $1000. I'd guess I'm looking for a great harmon target headphone with improved clarity. I don't like bright peaky highs and love headslam bass, but I need my clarity and detail. Any suggestions?

The only audiophile stores near me look like they only carry Audeze or Grado so not a lot to test before I buy. As long as I can return something within a month if I don't like it, that'd be fine. I'm located in the USA.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As you have it available near you, try the LCD-X. I think it matches your requirements very well.

Yeah, it's over your budget by couple hundred but doesn't hurt to try. If you find it as much better than alternatives as I did you might consider saving couple more months.

OP
O

oreganobag

I did actually just get to try it. Very very impressed. I wish there was a place with Focals near me, though. Nothing on the used market and no shops within 100 miles with them.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the ones you mention. If it was me I'd spend the budget on a Hifiman Ananda which are great all around headphones. It would also leave enough in the budget for something different to compliment it. I had the Dan Clark closed backs, no matter which filter I tried they just weren't that kind of money.

LunaTempesta

Following out of curiousity as I currently own the X2HR myself and have been tempted to upgrade for a long time now.
I had my eyes on the simple HD600 route a while back, but wasn't terribly excited when I got to listen to those.
Tried the HD660s after and was more pleasantly surprised, I'm not sure if these suit your taste (and they are very well within budget) but it's worth a listen if you haven't already.

Always better to spend less and leave room for ugrades in other parts if you're happy with the sound of said cans.
My old Schitt AMP+DAC combo got traded for a topping DX3 Pro+ and that alone improved things. What are you using to drive yours?

Top Bottom