• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from Schiit Stack? (Modi+Magni)

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
HD650 are pretty darn good phones. If you like Senns perhaps save up and buy a used pair of HD800S on Head-Fi. Probably the last pair of phones you would need to buy unless you get into exotics like RAAL-requisite SR1a's. As always, if you can find a store where you can audition first before you buy do so. Have fun!

I think I am eye balling a pair of Audeze LCD-X, any thoughts on this can?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have tried the DT990, and the treble was much to much for my tastes, I thought they sounded bright on darker tracks, and insufferable on brighter tracks. Are the DT1990 toned down in this regard? (No pun intended)

I have never heard the DT990. I found the DT1990 very pleasing in stock form. They had the bass impact my Sennheisers lacked. I added Dekoni Elite Velour pads and the DIY Audio Heaven filter that attenuates the 8kHz hump and find them ultimately listenable. I can listen for hours on end with zero fatigue.

As a point of reference I find metal tweeters fatiguing after about 45 minutes.

Martin

Tks

Major Contributor
I think I am eye balling a pair of Audeze LCD-X, any thoughts on this can?

Had a pair for a little while. The sound quality is superb, I could live with that as my sole headphone my whole life. Only one MASSIVE problem...

The imbeciles that designed it, haven't the faintest of clues what the word ergonomics, or comfort mean. Complete buffoons, or intentionally uncaring negligence. I know why they do it though, they must maintain that look of thier's at all costs. And I understand that. But the tradeoff is simply too much.

First-off, the metal construction is simply too heavy, the earcups while big and comfy, after a month or two eventually begin to compress more and more under the warmth of your head, and eventually do not allow as much adjustment since the internal space becomes constrained (if you have small ears, this may not be much of a problem). Then you have the leather headband strap, and metal headband support structure....

The leather band eventually stretches and you then have the metal portion digging into your head. ABSOLUTELY dreadful.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
There is no such thing unless you are good at imagination and keep imagining. :) Distortion actually causes the highs to be accentuated and muddies low level detail. Tube amps do have very high output voltage so if you are coming from a weak amplifier, you may thing they sound great.

On your list, the DAC is a good one. No need to replace. The amp could be bettered with JDS Labs Atom at $99 but you may not notice the difference.

I seen your review of the Schiit Magni Heresy, seems like that would be a good upgrade from the Magni 3, or do you think the lack of extra power would mean I don't notice it as much?

Had a pair for a little while. The sound quality is superb, I could live with that as my sole headphone my whole life. Only one MASSIVE problem...

The imbeciles that designed it, haven't the faintest of clues what the word ergonomics, or comfort mean. Complete buffoons, or intentionally uncaring negligence. I know why they do it though, they must maintain that look of thier's at all costs. And I understand that. But the tradeoff is simply too much.

First-off, the metal construction is simply too heavy, the earcups while big and comfy, after a month or two eventually begin to compress more and more under the warmth of your head, and eventually do not allow as much adjustment since the internal space becomes constrained (if you have small ears, this may not be much of a problem). Then you have the leather headband strap, and metal headband support structure....

The leather band eventually stretches and you then have the metal portion digging into your head. ABSOLUTELY dreadful.

Are all Audeze like this or just that model?

Svperstar

Are all Audeze like this or just that model?

I have the original non-Fazor LCD2. It is very heavy but you get used to it. I got mine used off eBay half price based off the hype of them being "650 2x".

One problem with Audeze headphones is you cannot just take off the earcups like you can on a Senn. They are glued on so you have to rip them off the headphone then scrape the glue off. I replaced the earcups with the Dekoni Elite Velor.

As to sound when I first heard the LCD2 I thought I was in audio heaven, then after months I went back to my 650s and I kinda leaned toward their sound more. They are a great headphone and for sure could be endgame.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
So a buddy of mine gave me a Topping D50S as an early Christmas present! now, I think I may want an amp to go with it, any recommendations for best amps under $200? I was eye balling the Schiit Heresy to power my HD-650 and HE4XX.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Topping: A50 (most logical choice)
Topping: A30 (cheaper option)
Atom: Plastic, lightweight, similar looks
Magni 3+: metal, lightweight, different color (grey), different looks
Magni Heresy: Black+ red metal small enclosure.
Geshelli Archel 2Pro: DIY looks, small.
Schiit: Vali-2 (when wanting tubes)
O2: black metal and can work on batteries.
FiiO: K5Pro (less desirable)

All of these are equally audibly transparent on the mentioned headphones.
The decision between those amps is all about looks not SQ or output power.

Last edited:
OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Topping: A50 (most logical choice)
Topping: A30 (cheaper option)
Atom: Plastic, lightweight, similar looks
Magni 3+: metal, lightweight, different color (grey), different looks
Magni Heresy: Black+ red metal small enclosure.
Geshelli Archel 2Pro: DIY looks, small.
Schiit: Vali-2 (when wanting tubes)
O2: black metal and can work on batteries.
FiiO: K5Pro (less desirable)

All of these are equally audibly transparent on the mentioned headphones.
The decision between those amps is all about looks not SQ or output power.

I can stretch as high as $300. I have not unboxed the D50S yet, would you say this is a worthy upgrade from the Schiit Modi 3? I know DAC's have diminising returns in all, but the Topping seems to support a lot more codecs and has a higher sampling rate. Thing is, I only listen to FLACs and Itunes.

ninetylol

Thoughts on the SMSL SP200 paired with D50S?
I had the SMSL SP200 and returned it because its too much Power even in low gain. Wouldnt be a problem if the volume pot was higher quality but it isnt. Im waiting for the Topping A50 now.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I had the SMSL SP200 and returned it because its too much Power even in low gain. Wouldnt be a problem if the volume pot was higher quality but it isnt. Im waiting for the Topping A50 now.

Pulled the trigger on the Schiit Magni Heresy. I will use the D50S and Heresy on my desktop, and I will put the Schiit Stack in the living room next to my big comfy chair.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

ninetylol

Nice setup, if i hadnt bought the Topping P50 which is incompatible with the Heresy I would have gone the same way as you :D

Top Bottom