• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Upgrade from Philips X2HR's?

Hi everyone,

My main headphones are currently the X2HR and MH-751 (comfort king for closed gaming). I love everything about the X2's. It comfortable, sounds fun, good sound stage, and seems accurate.

I tried the Senheiser 58x, but preferred the X2 sound and comfort. The X2 also pairs well with my GSX1000 for gaming. Is there a direct upgrade path from here? I assume there won't be an X3HR?

I primary game and use Spotify with my headphones.

I was looking into the HiFiMan HE5se; however, the reviews lead me to think they are not going to be comfortable.

Still looking for an adequate headset upgrade based on my prefences. Right now, I have my eye on the Hifiman Sundaras.

I just bought a FIIO K5 Pro to get serious about audio and have room for upgrades.

Unfortunately there's no such thing as a "direct upgrade path".
I've started in this hobby with a Fidelio X2 because it was my first opened back HP. Really glad it happened.
Now I have some others to play with like a HE400i, HE500 and HD600.
All I can say is that each one has it's pros and cons and this is something very personal.
I had a DT990 Pro 300ohm and this was good to decide that I'll never touch a Beyerdynamics again. You'll find people saying they are amazing, so as I said before, it's a very personal thing.
Tried HD800 and they are not for me too. Opened as I never found another, but the sound... no.
Someday I'll have the money to buy a Focal Clear, probably an endgame for most of us, but even in this regard, an endgame may last for a couple years only until you experience something that "reaches your soul". It happened to me when I tried them.
If you're living in a country where you can return things you didn't like, just keep trying based on your wallet.
As I see you like gaming, you may not find a HP that shakes your ears like a X2, but there are a lot that sound better.
Are they made for you? You'll have to try.

Ps.: The HP is only part of the equation, a good source and amp can make the difference, but at this point, you will benefit more of a new pair of HP.

I just received my HD600 and Sundara. Instantly the HD600s are going back.

The Sundara's just feel good for all the music I listen to so far. Haven't tried gaming. I don't even want to go back to my Philips X2 now. I was missing some bass and the treble seemed to sharp... Now I feel like the Philips were trying to hard. The bass, while possibly more, was not the same quality. I really didn't think I would enjoy these as much as I do. They pair perfectly with the Fiio K5 Pro on low gain.

I am literally speechless by how good these sound before they burn-in. I hope they don't get worse.

I think that "burn-in" should be renamed to "get used to" because this is what it really is.

Sometimes all you need is to give the new HP some time, let's say one or two weeks of constant use, so then you come back to the one you were used to. This is how you really feel the difference.

I'm glad I didn't say to you that HD600 was a good option as it was kind of obvious based on what you felt when comparing HD58X with X2.
For me, HD600 is the reference. I may find HPs that are better or worse, but HD600 is the one that will always be my reference of that thing people call "neutrality".

Based on what I've read, Sundara's may be too sharp for me. As your dac is an AKM, you may not feel it as sharp as it would be with a Sabre one, also based on my readings.

I hope they don't get worse.
Relax, they will get worse as your X2 just got.
That's what this hobby is made of.
It's not that the HP sound changes, but you get used to it and after awhile you'll be looking another flavours.

Btw, Just changed my HE500 pads for a Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin and my boy... this is a whole new HP.

Top Bottom