• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.2

ASRaddict

Hello Forum , After 20+ years of excellent performance, I would like to upgrade my speakers. My budget is 8K (including CA taxes), but lower is better. My room is 14x19x8.5. I listen at moderate levels. My serious constraint is that only bookshelf speakers are possible, and the depth is preferred to be less than 14 inches. My listening position is about 16' from the speakers.

I have a SVS PB12 and use Integra 80.3 processor. My current amp is Citation 7.1

Music taste is 70s Rock, some classical and a lot of Indian music. Movies and Netflix is 60%. Room treatment is not possible, but there is a normal amount of sofa's and curtains.

My personal shortlist is Genelec 8341, KH310, or Revel M126Be, completely constructed from the measurements osted in this forum. It is not possible to listen to them before buying, even though I can use Crutchfield for the Revel speakers.

Suggestions ? Advice ? Will it be substantially better than the Paradigm I already have ?

Regards

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the longer listening distance may favor the Revels.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Forum , After 20+ years of excellent performance, I would like to upgrade my speakers. My budget is 8K (including CA taxes), but lower is better. My room is 14x19x8.5. I listen at moderate levels. My serious constraint is that only bookshelf speakers are possible, and the depth is preferred to be less than 14 inches. My listening position is about 16' from the speakers.

I have a SVS PB12 and use Integra 80.3 processor. My current amp is Citation 7.1

Music taste is 70s Rock, some classical and a lot of Indian music. Movies and Netflix is 60%. Room treatment is not possible, but there is a normal amount of sofa's and curtains.

My personal shortlist is Genelec 8341, KH310, or Revel M126Be, completely constructed from the measurements osted in this forum. It is not possible to listen to them before buying, even though I can use Crutchfield for the Revel speakers.

Suggestions ? Advice ? Will it be substantially better than the Paradigm I already have ?

Regards

I would also look at the Mesanovic RTM10. It digs deeper than the 8351b and is comparably flat.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mesanovic RTM10 Spinorama

E63C0A10-B007-493F-86A2-D7F46C37EF24.png

OP
A

ASRaddict

I would also look at the Mesanovic RTM10. It digs deeper than the 8351b and is comparably flat.
Thanks, they are as close as possible to the Dutch & Dutch 8C (which is one of the dream speakers based on erin's measurements and reviews) , but two challenges (a) Quite New as a company, and (b) I think they are deep speakers at about 17.75 inches, and will be challenging given the depth limitations imposed by the aesthetics of the room.

Not sure if it is specified, but they will need a couple of inches behind them (inferring from D&D 8C specs)

However, they do have a 30 day trial "in-home" so certainly something I would add to the list

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think RM10’s are quite a bit over your CAN$8000 taxes in spec :)
I’m looking too, but hoping to keep under $6k taxes in ...thinking hard about 708p’s

OP
A

ASRaddict

I believe the longer listening distance may favor the Revels.
Thanks Ahofer, Revel are always a safe bet and I had almost pulled the trigger on a B-stock until I researched the Genelecs and the Neumann options. Genelecs with the co-axial drivers are intriguing. Neumann with a closed port design allows placing the speaker close to the front wall. I also like what DSP can do, and it is most likely that I cannot hear the difference between analog and digital crossovers.

From reading through the posts, I concluded that the near-field and mid-field monitors can function as a far-field hifi speakers, but may end up with a smaller sweet spot at my listening distance, and this is based on the dispersion (hearing the room instead of the direct sound). I could be wrong though.

regards

OP
A

ASRaddict

I think RM10’s are quite a bit over your CAN$8000 taxes in spec :)
I’m looking too, but hoping to keep under $6k taxes in ...thinking hard about 708p’s

Oops , I meant California taxes :D

Yeah the RM10s are certainly interesting. The 705/8Ps would also be an option .. that shiny waveguide notwithstanding

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oops , I meant California taxes :D

Yeah the RM10s are certainly interesting. The 705/8Ps would also be an option .. that shiny waveguide notwithstanding

The 708s are pretty damn ugly but the dynamic performance is probably a notch ahead of most of these other options. Having said that, I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of these options.

OP
A

ASRaddict

The 708s are pretty damn ugly but the dynamic performance is probably a notch ahead of most of these other options. Having said that, I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of these options.
Thanks 617

One thing in the 708P spec that I could not get my head around is the max SPL capabilities.

Max SPL(80 Hz - 20 kHz) >101 dB SPL / 1m
Maximum Peak SPL(80 Hz - 20 kHz) >107 dB SPL / 1m

Assuming a drop of 14-15 dB for the distance, that puts the max SPL at around 86-87 dB at the listening position. I dont need to party, but wondering if that is loud enough

The 708p has max SPL of 108 dB that should be sufficient for my room - the previous posts were 705

Last edited:
OP
A

ASRaddict

I decided that my ears are no longer that good to experience improvement over them - moved to headphones (Hifiman Ananda, Thieaudio Oracle and Truthear Zero)
and still enjoy the Paradigm Reference 20s with Citation 7.1 amps.

Top Bottom